Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Tommy Polley 2001 NFC Championship Ring Auction

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Tommy Polley 2001 NFC Championship Ring Auction

I don't know if any of you would be interested but got Tommy Polley's ring up for Auction with a couple of hours left. You got about 8grand it could be yours!
    Lot Detail - 2001 ST. LOUIS RAMS NFC CHAMPIONSHIP RING PRESENTED TO PLAYER TOMMY POLLEY

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Tommy Polley 2001 NFC Championship Ring Auction

Final price was about 9300 with the buyers premium. That is a nice price as a function of retail (2001 rams nfc championship rings are typically priced around 10k), if you value polley as a premium player since he was a starter on the team, and considering that it came with the original display box. The price reflects in part the depression in rams related collectible prices due to the long down period for the team, which is especially true of st louis rams items (rather than the LA or especially the cleveland rams stuff).

I would point out that unlike the super bowl title ring for the rams, this ring box does not have a see through window, so to display the ring, you have to open the box (which in my view is a design defect)

Lawrence Taylor's super bowl title ring (in the same auction) went for about 120k with the buyers premium, or about 350k less than the dr j championship ring recently auctioned off.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

interesting... only about 10k.. figured it would of went for more. I wonder if any 99' super bowl rings have been auctioned off? I'd truely love to own one of those... although the 2001 should of been a Super Bowl ring as well if it wasn't for that cheating a$$ Belicheat!!!

Zia, there are a number of rams super bowl championship rings that have been sold. Approximate price for a players ring (not a superstar) is 30k. Front office, a bit less.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Cool now I just have to save up a bit! lol Actually that ain't that bad of a price if you think about it... i figured it would be around 60k+

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    interesting... only about 10k.. figured it would of went for more. I wonder if any 99' super bowl rings have been auctioned off? I'd truely love to own one of those... although the 2001 should of been a Super Bowl ring as well if it wasn't for that cheating a$$ Belicheat!!!
    Correction. If not for that idiot Mike Martz. Belicheat coached circles around Martz in that game...
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Correction. If not for that idiot Mike Martz. Belicheat coached circles around Martz in that game...
    Its easy to coach circles around the opposing team when you film their Super Bowl practices.
    RamDez, Jonze, THOLTFAN81 and 1 others like this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Its easy to coach circles around the opposing team when you film their Super Bowl practices.
    Got news for you, the Rams didn't lose because Belicheat filmed the walk-throughs. He lost because Belicheck knew the way to beat the Rams was to be physical at the line and knock the WR's off their routes and screw up the timing. To counter, the Rams should have used Faulk and hit the man in motion more, but Martz was too egotistical to see this and do anything about it. Football 101.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Of course, without Martz they never would have been playing that game in the first place.

Now, about the ring. I heard the other day that 78% of all retired NFL players wind up going bankrupt. So, not surprising that many of these trinkets are up for sale at any given time. Truly sad. That ring, a symbol of their accomplishment, and something to be treasured (one would assume). But it finds its way on to an online auction just so the former player can pay some bills.

Downright depressing.
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Got news for you, the Rams didn't lose because Belicheat filmed the walk-throughs. He lost because Belicheck knew the way to beat the Rams was to be physical at the line and knock the WR's off their routes and screw up the timing. To counter, the Rams should have used Faulk and hit the man in motion more, but Martz was too egotistical to see this and do anything about it. Football 101.
    No one is contesting Martz was egotistical but your going to sit here and tell me that Bellicheat out coached the Rams? lmfao rofl The greatest offense to ever set foot on a field? Ya just like he outcoached Eric Manchini when he was with the Jets and got busted....
    Let me tape every opposing teams practice so I can increase the percentage on everyplay it's in my favor. When they see certain formations and personal they have a dam good idea what's coming at them. How about if the Colts did that to the Saints for their SuperBowl? I gurantee you they would of been prepared for that onside kick at the beginning of the half which changed the game's outcome....

That Cheatriots are a good team, with a good coach, with a good FO but not as great as they were when they were cheating. Has the Pats won a SuperBowl since all this stuff came out? NO. Because they are good but not championship good without cheating...
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -05-21-2012 at 01:45 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Martz refused to take what the defense gave him. I agree we should have run the ball down their throats.

However, i have always felt that the refs were a disgrace in that game. If the refs call the game by the rules, we win. End of story. Faulk was repeatedly tackled coming out of the backfield on pass plays. No call. Our receivers were interfered with over and over. No calls. Belicheat devised a strategy, but it was dependent on the assumption that the refs wouldnt make the calls.

I dont believe there was any great secret to stopping the gsot. I dont think filming practice was the key., The key to stopping that team was execution. The patriots could not have executed without the help of the refs changing the rules by refusing to enforce them.

I also point out that rod jones missed a key block that led to a td int. You cant blame that on martz or the refs. Bad execution by the rams. Dexter couldnt cover at the end of the game either.

We ripped them up in the second half. If we get the ball once more, the game is over and we win.

Plenty of blame to go around in that loss. But i dont think the filming was the key. Martz's attitude was (all year) we do what we do, lets see if you can stop us. He refused to be flexible in the super bowl and it really cost us.

What i always find so interesting is that in the second half of the nfc title game vs the eagles, with our season going down the drain, he ran the ball about 13 out of 15 plays and pounded faulk at them, changing our style and taking over the game. He refused to make the same adjustment during the super bowl and it was truly arrogant. I still think if the refs make the calls, we win the game.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Bringing up this stuff truly brings a sour taste to my mouth. Seeing that this game single-handedly ruined the GSOT, and Warners career in St. Louis. During his documentary Warner said it himself, his relationship in St Louis with Martz was never the same after that loss.

If Kurt wins that second Super Bowl, we stick w him during the tough times with the injuries and fumbling, then who knows?
    ZiaRam likes this.

That team broke my heart in a way that can never be healed, no matter how many titles we win in the future. Second best team in the history of the NFL to not win it all (behind the undefeated patriots team), and in my view, a better team than the '99 team that won.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    ZiaRam likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Good thing Tommy Polley learned basic finances at Florida State. Pathetic that many of these guys can't simply live within their means and have the intelligence to not wind up destitute.

Blaming officials for losses is the worst kind of excuse making. You could probably examine game tape of any NFL game and find 20-30 non-calls that could have made a difference. Certainly there are legitimate instances where umpires/officials miss a crucial call critical to the outcome. But there are dozens of instances throughout a game where a team can overcome adversity and bury a team. The Rams absolutely sucked vs. New England, pure and simple.

And for the umpteenth time, the notion that filiming a pre-game walk through lost us SuperBowl XXXVI is ludicrous. I'm not excusing any act of cheating- but football is a game of adjustments. Someone is stopping your offense? make adjustments. Somebody stealing your signs in baseball? Change 'em! You suspect some act of tomfoolery? Counter it somehow. Martz' arrogance and lack of attention to detail- traits excused by Martz apologists and overlooked when his offense was putting up video game totals- came to roost in this game. It coast the Rams a Super Bowl and eventually led to their downfall.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -05-21-2012 at 10:23 AM.

I disagree on the point about officials. Do i agree that we should have made adjustments? Of course, and that is what my post says. Am i apologizing for martz? Of course not, that is not what my post says.

It is one thing to say that the officials missed a call here or there. That is not what i am talking about. I also dont think that you can look at 20-30 calls in any specific game because i think during a typical game calls go both ways and almost all the time they tend to balance out. In this game, there was a systematic rule breaking by one team that the officials ignored. I dont see how you can say that did not play a factor in the outcome of the game. I understand that less penalties are called in the playoffs, but that is not an excuse for refusing to enforce the rules, and that is what happened here. Even in a hockey game in the stanley cup blatant penalties are called.

The key to officiating at any level is to be consistent and even handed. When one team is completley flaunting the rules, and the refs dont bother to make any calls, the refs are impacting the outcome of the game and that is exactly what they should never do.

I dont "blame" the officials for the loss, but they were certainly a contributing factor.

Martz should blame himself, because all he had to do was do what he did against the eagles and run faulk down their throats.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast