Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Tony Softli: Rams need All Three

The Rams have three games remaining on the 2010 NFL schedule. They have played lights out in several games and marginal in others. They have more wins this season than the last three seasons combined. The Rams earned the number one overall pick in last Aprilís draft, choosing franchise quarterback Sam Bradford, and a left offensive tackle in Roger Saffold. The defense, in its second season under the Steve Spagnuolo system, is playing aggressively well.
    The Rams find themselves in a dog fight in the NFC West. They are currently tied for first with the Seattle Seahawks. While holding the tie breaker over the Seahawks if the season ended today, the Rams end the 2010 season on the road with a trip out West to Seattle and Qwest Field January 2nd, which may be the deciding game for the divisional crown.
    While I respect the opinion of all my analyst peers around the country, Iím not buying the wolf tickets that are being sold in St Louis and throughout the country, that the Rams only need two wins to seal the division. Iíve heard the Rams are playing with house money. Are you kidding me? Thatís not the mentality I came into this league with from the University of Washington and I have never looked at a schedule when working for a NFL franchise that we didnít have a chance to win this one, or we will lose that one. Like Coach Herm Edwards says, ďyou play to WIN the game,Ē every game.
    The message from Rams Head Coach to the Rams players, coaching staff and the organization, should be, ďWe need to play our best football these next three weeks. We must bite, fight and scratch our way to three wins and gain momentum while staying healthy.Ē
    I guarantee Coach Spagnuolo isnít selling the notion to his team, that ok we can lose this one and go beat these guys. A lot of the NFL game is physical toughness as well as mental toughness, and you canít turn it on and off like a light switch. The Rams flew to New Orleans to deal them a loss. In their minds anything else was not acceptable. The team and staff were extremely disappointed in the loss and their performance, which made for a long flight home.
    Despite the loss to the Saints, the Rams remain tied for the lead in the NFC West with the Seahawks. The problem is with every loss by both teams, the San Francisco ***** are creeping back into the picture. With a big win Sunday, the ***** are 5-8 for the season and only one game back have the best defense in the division.
    The ***** have the following teams remaining on their schedule: San Diego, Arizona and St. Louis. Seattle is dealing with two of the NFC South powerhouse teams in Atlanta and Tampa Bay. St. Louis has Kansas City, San Francisco and Seattle. The game that is building as a major interest is the San Francisco vs. St. Louis Rams at the LOU the day after Christmas.
    The Rams must win all three of the remaining games, keep that mind set and good things will happen. The Rams will take it one game at a time, trust me.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Tony Softli: Rams need All Three

There's a reason this genius was fired..the Seahawks just lost to the niners, and they play the Falcons at home, and then Tampa Bay on the road, where they are terrible..and the niners lost Gore for the season, and they have to win out to get 8. Both those teams will be lucky to come into week 17 with 7 wins. I could easily see them there with 6. So no, the Rams don't really need to win out..

MACD is offline Registered User

Hey, I'm an idiot....what's the "LOU" ?

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

What some people think people call St.Louis.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think the point here is that the Rams should come into each game with the mentality that they need to win all three. The reality is that if they win the first two, they might have the playoff spot locked up going into Week 16 or that if they lose next week, they could still all but guarantee a spot by winning the next two...but they shouldn't go into next week's game thinking, "it's okay if we lose this one; we still control our own destiny".

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think the point here is that the Rams should come into each game with the mentality that they need to win all three. The reality is that if they win the first two, they might have the playoff spot locked up going into Week 16 or that if they lose next week, they could still all but guarantee a spot by winning the next two...but they shouldn't go into next week's game thinking, "it's okay if we lose this one; we still control our own destiny".
    And as much as I don't like Softli, I agree with that mentality completely.

With that said, he has zero proof that Spagnuolo is feeding the team any kind of garbage about how it's okay to lose. This just spells sour grapes to me.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

With that said, he has zero proof that Spagnuolo is feeding the team any kind of garbage about how it's okay to lose. This just spells sour grapes to me.
    Exactly. Yes you play to win every game and yes every fan is thinking we just need to win 2 but Spagnuolo barely wants to talk about the NFC West standings or playoffs. I don't believe for a second that Spagnuolo is giving any kind of "it's okay to lose one" speech.

Personally I think winning two of the three will get the Rams in. If the Rams win their home games and the Falcons, Bucs and Chargers do the favours we're expecting the Rams could rest their starters in week 17 (I wouldn't want them to but it's a funny image)!

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post

Personally I think winning two of the three will get the Rams in. If the Rams win their home games and the Falcons, Bucs and Chargers do the favours we're expecting the Rams could rest their starters in week 17 (I wouldn't want them to but it's a funny image)!
    I wouldn't want them to either. I think that "we still need the practise!" is a perfectly acceptable excuse for starting your starters when you've locked up your playoff spot.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

You misread the quote. Nowhere in this article does it imply Spags feels "it's OK to lose one" Where does it say that??!!

To the contrary, the quote reads "I guarantee you Coach Spagnuolo isn't selling the notion to his team that okay, we can lose this one now lets go beat these guys". This certainly doesn't tell me he's looking to just take two out of the remaining three games.

Now, with that said, after you lose a football game, a coach will sometimes tell his team that it is no big deal- that "we're still in this thing if we take care of business from this point forward". That is simply a motivational tool- to keep the players' spirits up and focused on moving forward. But that is a far cry from thinking "it's okay to lose".

Softli is on point here in this article. His critical comments about people saying the Rams are playing with "house money" is also on target. This is not what the athlete or coach has in mind when they take the field with a chance to win a division. Any competitor with a set of balls wants to win and THINKS they can win regardless of opponent- they do not look at a contest the way many fans tend to- by automatically thinking the team with the better record will probably win.

You don't have to be a mind reader to know exactly what Spagnuolo's message is to the Rams this week: BEAT KANSAS CITY. Period and end of story. It's not about Seattle, San Francisco and everything in between. Nothing else is important other than beating the Chiefs at home.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm sorry......where does Tony Softli come into this? Am I missing something?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Now you know why Softli is not managing the Rams' cap.

If the Rams lose this week, but win their final two, they win the division, as they'd (at worst) win the head-to-head tiebreaker with Seattle, and the Niners could finish no better than 7-9.

Its not that complicated, Tony.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm sorry......where does Tony Softli come into this? Am I missing something?

I believe he has a twitter account and does analyst work for ESPN St. Louis. With past connections to the Rams, he is logically a guy who will offer an opinion on their current state of affairs.

supachump is offline Registered User

The Rams must win all three of the remaining games, keep that mind set and good things will happen. The Rams will take it one game at a time, trust me.
    I think you guys are taking it too literally.

He isn't saying that the Rams must win all three to win the division. He is saying the Rams need to have the mentality that they must win every game. Which he expounds upon in the paragraphs above that one sentence at the end.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

who cares... JUST WIN BABY!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

You all know I think the NFL hates St Louis, and will do whatever is in their control (without being blatantly obvious to the masses) to keep a team in that town from being a winner, so take this for what it's worth. I also believe they have a love affair with the 9ers, and give them all the help they can without making it obvious to the average fan.

I agree that the RAMS will have to win out because the league will do everything in its power to boost the 9ers to 8-8. If the league is successful, the RAMS will loose to the Cheifs and 9ers, and the last game won't matter due to the tie breaker for the 9ers.

What's the three way tie breaker if we all three end with 7-9.
    9ers would be 2-0 against us (league gives them the DIV games, but not SD), but 1-1 against the Hawks.
    We would be 1-1 against the hawks (lucky to win the Cheifs, but the league will give the DIV games to the Hawks and 9ers) and 0-2 against the 9ers

Looks like the league gives it to the 9ers as they will be given a 5-1 DIV record.

If the 9ers can find a way to beat SD on their turf (read a lot of bad officiating), I believe the league will make sure they end with an 8-8 record. This locks the RAMS out due to tie breaker.

gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast