rammiser is offline Registered User

Is it too late to fire Loserhan?

I was thinking if we could bring Greg Williams in as head coach and Al Saunders as oc and leave Haslett as dc, but mix his d with Williams d to bring new energy to this team do we really need Loserhan? I mean if the front office said to Williams that the head coaching job was his if we brought in Saunders for the oc and left him and Haslett working together on the defense would he go for that? I mean a lot of peoples arguement for not firing Loserhan was because we would be changing schemes again. Well isnt that what we are going to be doing by bringing in Al Saunders? Even if it werent Saunders wouldnt it change if it were Zampese or Jackson? Williams wants to be a head coach and he couldnt possibly be any worse than Loserhan and with a staff put together by the front office I think it could work. Haslett's not going to be here forever anyway so Williams would eventually get full run of the d anyway. This is all just a pipe dream but just wonder what some of you thought?

Just Fix It

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Is it too late to fire Loserhan?

I have to say even tho this is a pipe dream, I like the way you think.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I think anything is possible with the rams change in ownership. The problem with Williams and Saunders is they both made a lot of money with the skins. Most likely they are looking for money in the next roles that they play, but it is impossible for us to know how important money is to them. I don't know how well they work together and if working together is important to them. Maybe they would like the opportunity to fix a team like the Rams that has some existing talent and I am sure they would like to show Dan Synder the error of his ways.

I have no idea what the FO will do with Linehan. I think they can change his responsibilities whenever they want to. I think they can keep him on as head coach or get rid of him. I think it is an open book.

Perhaps someone who understands the contracts better can say what the FO can and can't do, as well as give an idea of what kind of money they Rams are willing to spend on coaches.

Interesting thought rammiser.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It is never too late .. an owner can jettison a coach on any given day. That said, do we really want Williams as HC? Yes, he's probably a better HC than Linny, but how much better? It appears the Rams are in a holding pattern until the ownership issue is resolved. My guess is that before the regular season starts, our FO will have restructured significantly. Linehan will have to win early and often if in fact he is still our HC going into the 2008 regular season ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    I don't know how well they work together and if working together is important to them. Maybe they would like the opportunity to fix a team like the Rams that has some existing talent and I am sure they would like to show Dan Synder the error of his ways.
    Interesting thought rammiser.....
    Very good points UB !! Haven't heard much about how well Saunders and Williams mesh with regard to their personalities. This is shaping up to be an interestins off-season ..

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I was thinking if we could bring Greg Williams in as head coach and Al Saunders as oc and leave Haslett as dc, but mix his d with Williams d to bring new energy to this team do we really need Loserhan?
    Bernie: "And for Rams fans who are concocting theories that have either Williams or Saunders stepping in as HC, with Linehan being fired … no chance of that happening."

So don't hold your breath. Even if we're just pretending here, Williams doesn't exactly have a great head coaching résumé. He took over an 8-8 Buffalo team and went 3-13 in 2001. They traded a future first round pick for Drew Bledsoe and got back up to 8-8, but then fell to 6-10 the next season and he was fired.

When he joined the Redskins staff, he showed the same buddy mentality that some Rams fans have criticized Linehan for, as Williams brought over old colleagues in Jerry Gray, Steve Jackson, and Danny Smith. After Joe Gibbs retired this season, the Redskins interviewed Williams four times before determining he wasn't their choice for head coach. He didn't get much of a sniff from the other franchises looking for head coaching candidates either.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, one can never stop dreaming about a bright future. Even if it is just a dream.

Oh well, here's to 2009.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Not much hope for 2008 eh tx....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

not for me....but you know? If I was so smart about the NFL I'd be doing some other profession than accounting.

And I also can't take credit for it because if I remember correctly, the Dezinator was saying 2007 wasn't going to be anything to get excited about in MARCH OF LAST YEAR.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -01-29-2008 at 11:16 AM.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Why should we fire him? I was under the impression that nothing that went wrong this season was his fault.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think a more realistic hope is that Saunders, if hired, will be for Linehan what Martz was for Vermiel.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think a more realistic hope is that Saunders, if hired, will be for Linehan what Martz was for Vermiel.
    That would be great, considering the results we had and if Linehan doesnt meddle in the offense too much.
    Just Fix It

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    That would be great, considering the results we had and if Linehan doesnt meddle in the offense too much.
    True. We wont have to worry about too many (if any at all) calls from Linehan.

However, getting on topic of this thread. Linehan has one more year. I think it's fair to see what he can do this year. If he pulls off a great year, he'll remain. But if its anything below a .500 season he's gone.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

No way is this in defense of Linehan, but coaching really is a bit overrated.

Parcells was on fire with the Jets 'til Testeverde went down;

Shanahan's done NOTHING since losing Elway (and Terrell Davis);

Eli's maturation is the reason NY is succeeding, not the kindler gentler Coughlin;

Gruden's done squat since his team was decimated after his SB win;

It took 7 years for genius Holmgren to get to the big game.

Pittsburgh languished 'til Rothlesburger showed up:

Look at Dallas with Wade Phillips. Wade Phillips? Please. It's the PLAYERS Parcells brought in, (and Jones's wallet).

That said, I'm very excited about Saunders, or even Zampese, if Linehan can take a lesson from Vermeil, and stay out of the way.

And lack of players goes directly to the front office, (or lack thereof); Linehan's just a lightning rod, and his total lack of fire and/or personality doesn't help him much either.

Next year reallly shouldn't disappoint anyone given our present circumstances, but it WILL prove to be interesting.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Why should we fire him? I was under the impression that nothing that went wrong this season was his fault.
    If anything moloch, you're consistent.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-29-2008, 02:16 PM