AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Too Many Rams Fans Don't Know "Special" When They See It (Pre-Hiatus Thoughts)

I guess I thought you'd be here forever. Another illusion I chose to create. Don't know what you've got until its gone. And I found out a little too late. - Chicago

The logical side of my mind has struggled with this question for a while: how can people who identify themselves as Ram fans continually nitpick at aspects of the team that, though not perfect, hardly warrant such harsh criticism?

The way some fans talk about a coach with a very high winning percentage as if he's a clown with no business coaching... the way they can't wait to get rid of a QB with a 90+ lifetime QB rating... the way they look at a second year RB who is producing despite playing behind a patchwork line and talk about him like he's the problem...

It just makes no sense, unless...

I finally figured it out.

The problem is 1999. The greatest year in Rams history has had a nasty side effect. Certain fans just don't get how special that year was and, as a result, are unable to accept that a year like that may come only once in a lifetime.

How often does a team pick up key veterans and rookies, take the league by storm with a dynamic new offense, enjoy career years from several defensive players, make it through the season nearly injury free, find an MVP on the bench to replace the one key player who suffers a major injury, and have all the pieces fall into place for a playoff run ending in a Championship?

Why not ask fans of the Seahawks, Cardinals, Oilers/Titans, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Lions, Saints, Jets, and many others how long they've been waiting for a year like that.

Some fans have become so myopic as a result of that "dream season," that they see everything in black and white. If its not GSOT, it "sucks."

Well, my friends, that's not how the real world works. As a fan, you have to do more than describe everything as "good" or "bad." There's also "adequate," "improving," "promising," "declining," "limited," "situational," "underachieving," "overachieving," and "undetermined," to name a few.

To always seek perfection is to lose sight of just how special 1999 was. A year like that doesn't come around very often, so savor it, crave it, and seek it... but don't expect it.

Anyway, I obviously need to step away from this forum for a little while. I don't know how long I'll be gone. Maybe a day or two, maybe longer. Maybe I'll lurk about, maybe not.

I'll see you when I see you.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Too Many Rams Fans Don't Know "Special" When They See It (Pre-Hiatus Thoughts)

You might just be taking things a little too seriously Av. We're here for entertainment and amusement, not to change the world. Like you, I get a little bothered when the negativity goes a bit over the top, but it's the nature of the beast. People are going to vent, voice frustrations and be down when something they are passionate about goes sour. This is definitely the most acrimony I have seen here, but it doesn't surprise me because things have not been this hopeless for some time. My guess is any other message board community in the same situation would be no different in tone or temperament. I worry much more about the personal negativity as opposed to the opinion based negativity.

If things here really bother you that much, maybe you should step away, but it would be a shame if you stayed away for any extended period of time because you are a big part of what makes this place so interesting, entertaining and provacative.

curley4me is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Too Many Rams Fans Don't Know "Special" When They See It (Pre-Hiatus Thoughts)

I Think After Suffering So Long And Finally Going Back To The Big Dance Twice We Never Wanted It To End. Each And Every Rams Fan Has Endured The Rath Of The Sf****** Fans With Their 5 Rings And When Things Finally Happened For Us We Were Too Possesive To Give It Up. I Can't Even Stand To Hear That Marshall Isn't The Same As He Once Was And That Issac Is Getting Older.everything Said About Our Teams Shortcomings Are Said From The Heart And I Know That All Rams Fans Must Have Alot Of Patience Anymore. Think Of All The Teams Who Have Never Been To The Superbowl Much Less Win One. Gsot Or Not, Lets Hope To Win A Few More This Year! The Trophy Will Come Back To St. Louis Again Sooner Than We Think.

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Too Many Rams Fans Don't Know "Special" When They See It (Pre-Hiatus Thoughts)

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    You might just be taking things a little too seriously Av. We're here for entertainment and amusement, not to change the world. Like you, I get a little bothered when the negativity goes a bit over the top, but it's the nature of the beast. People are going to vent, voice frustrations and be down when something they are passionate about goes sour. This is definitely the most acrimony I have seen here, but it doesn't surprise me because things have not been this hopeless for some time. My guess is any other message board community in the same situation would be no different in tone or temperament. I worry much more about the personal negativity as opposed to the opinion based negativity.

If things here really bother you that much, maybe you should step away, but it would be a shame if you stayed away for any extended period of time because you are a big part of what makes this place so interesting, entertaining and provacative.
    Well put, Mike. I couldn't agree more. I think there are alot of frustrated fans venting right now. As they say (never did figure out who "they" are), this too shall pass.

As for me, I'll be sitting in front of my TV Sunday expecting to win. But, realizing that this wasn't our season and that there are changes that need to occur in the offseason. Hoping for an impact defensive player or two in the draft and FA, maybe a Jimmie Williams or an AJ Hawk.

There is always something to look forward to with this team and it always involves hope. Hope for my team. I can honestly say that it is the one constant in my life that I truly look forward to, week after week, year after year.

Who cares what the naysayers and the nitpickers of the world have to say. Ignore them. I say...GO RAMS!!! :clanram:

Don't be gone long Av, you do bring alot to this place. It wouldn't be the same without ya.
    Last edited by viper; -12-13-2005 at 11:24 PM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well if you're taking a leave....

Let's lose that Chicago crap and have a real Rock n' Roll song from INXS and Jimmy Barnes.

Yeah this fits the occasion!!!

Good Times

Everybody shake,
    Everybody groove,
    Everybody shake,
    mmm mmm ohh ohh!

Mary, Mary your on my mind,
    The folks are gone and the place'll be mine,
    Oh, Mary, Mary wanna be with you,
    And this is what I'm gonna do,
    I gonna put a call to you,
    Coz' I feel good tonight,
    And everything's gonna be right, right, yeah

CHORUS
    I'm gonna have a good time tonight,
    Rock n' Roll music gonna play all night,
    Come on baby it won't take long,
    Only take a minute just to sing my song.

Boney Moroney is gonna be with him,
    I said, long Tall Sally is gonna be with slim,
    Short fat Freddy is gonna, she's gonna be there to,
    And this is what I'm gonna do,
    Well I've got to put a call to you,

CHORUS

BRIDGE
    I've got to talk to you!

Boney Moroney is gonna be with J-J-Jimmy,
    Wah, Long tall Sally is gonna be with him,
    Short fat Freddy is gonna be there too,
    And this is what I gonna to do,
    I'm gonna put a call to you,

CHORUS

Listen!
    Ah! Oh!

Gonna have a good time tonight,

Come on and have a good time tonight,

Hey, listen!
    WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Gonna have a good time tonight,
    Only take a minute just to sing my song

Song, yeah.
    Everybody shake.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

To always seek perfection is to lose sight of just how special 1999 was. A year like that doesn't come around very often, so savor it, crave it, and seek it... but don't expect it.
    How true it is.
    Unfortunately, there was a huge serge of so called "Ram Fans" that year and the years that followed. I'm in no way implying that anyone on this board is a bandwagon jumper, but in general there were a lot of them out there. Those of us who have endured endless myopic seasons IMO appreciate the 99' and to some extent 01' seasons. This team will be better next year.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I read this yesterday, and decided to think long and hard about it before I responded.

Before 1999, I was not much of a fan of football. I remember watching the Cardinals as a kid, and waiting for Larry Wilson to make a huge play. I didn't understand the game, nobody in my family was really into football to explain it to me. I was married to a fair-weather Dallas fan for a while, but I never really enjoyed watching the games with her. Dallas was just a bunch of spoiled-brat, acrobatic, coke-sniffing monkeys to me.
    One Sunday in '97, I was sitting at home alone waiting for my female flavor-of-the-month to call me. I turned on the TV and there was a game on. It was Green Bay and I think the Rams. All I really remember from that beer-enhanced day was that Green Bay won, and it was a really good game. Good as in the team played football - with their brains. I didn't watch the Packers every week, but when they were locally broadcast, I liked to watch them.
    Then came August of '99. Tawn and I had recently moved in together, and she was telling me I had to watch a game for her while she was at work. If I remember right, it was the pre-season Rams-Chiefs game. Man, I HATE the Chiefs. I knew I was going to hate watching the game.
    I was wrong. When the Rams got the ball, they played well. No crap, no tricks, just classy, intelligent football. These guys were SOOOOO much better than Green Bay. I was hooked. People laughed at me for staying home on Sundays to watch the "pathetic" Rams.
    I had the last laugh. The Rams were on top of the world. I thought they would stay there.
    I was wrong. They had a rough year in 2000, but came back strong in 2001. 2003 was another rough year. Well, you know the story.
    All I know was after we won the Super Bowl, I had to find out everything about the Rams. I learned their history, the player's names, about the draft, what happened with the old AFL, everything nobody ever taught me about football.
    Here it is...my seventh year as a Rams fan. I wish every one of those seven had a ring at the end, but I found out how hard it is to do in these days of free agency and parity. I came in at the greatest time ever. I will be here next time it happens.
    But the Rams are still there. So are a lot of the fans. I am one of them and I am not going to run away just because we had an off year. I can't single out one player or one coach and say it's their fault. I won't live with past glories like the whiners fans do. So we don't get in the playoffs this year. Is that the end of the Rams?
    No. I will participate in the forums, learn more about the team I support, and relish every touchdown we get the rest of this year.
    Maybe I'm the exception, but I don't think so. I think there are thousands like me, who understand just how special '99 was. Just because it hasn't happened since then doesn't mean it won't happen next year. Thousands of real fans know this.
    I can understand your need to step away for a while. Rest assured, when you return, you will find a whole lot of us still here, still hoping that this year is just a run of bad luck, and that next year we will be back - better than ever.
    It happened before. It will happen again. Let's just hope it doesn't take as long.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

As far as the coach goes! i think that he has way to many bonehead mistakes in the last few years! Draft picks,hirings and some of the free agency personnel that he has made along with the releases of a few players the last few years!...as far as a OC i loved some of the things he's done!!!!................It was fun football but, he has to be held accountable for his mistakes if he had the control of what i have just mentioned!.If not then whoever was needs to be rephremended.......i've been a avid fan for 41 years and after watching the years were we could not catch a break was awful!........But, with the talent that we have had,we should be wearing a few Super bowl rings IMPO!....................He would be OK if he'd relinquish some of his authority and hire player personnel people to get the best players available to play for this TEAM!

As far as coach Vitt,goes at least he's trying new things that should be tried being a coach! MM is head strong for sure which can be good at times but, not all the time!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

We need to think back to the 2005 off season,how much we hyped ourselves up.We had Pace signed,we had Marshall and Torry restructure,we had good draft picks.We tanked every other year and this was the year we were supposed to shine,we were going to barnstorm the league.Everyone here was predicting anywhere from an 11-5 to 13-3 season.The point is? we did it to ourselves we hype ourselves into an almost frenzy.The let down was so huge that it will be awhile before we settle down.I guarantee this offseason will be more toned down then the last..
    I still want to be upbeat for 2006,but I'm not making anymore predictions.It may well be that we have a few more not so great seasons before we compete for the ultimate prize,but thats football.
    Lets see what happens in the offseason.We may very well be suprized, but i'm not going to hold my breath.
    We lost our head coach and I personaly think that was our big hit,not to mention Bulger going down,Aeneas retiring,Pace and Barron got hurt,etc.etc.
    Avenger has a point about how we have acted.It doesnt mean we're not true fans,it just means that sometimes in our hurt we dont think things through before we spout off.So Avenger please take it with a grain of salt and try to understand.We need you here if the board is going to continue to evolve.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Av- have always enjoyed your posts. Enjoy your time off...speaking of which, what ARE you going to do with all the free time you just acquired?

And remember, while we may not suffer fools gladly, sometimes we just have to suffer them.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

toddlyght is offline Registered User

1999........what can i say.........the best year ever!!!!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Why not ask fans of the Seahawks, Cardinals, Oilers/Titans, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Lions, Saints, Jets, and many others how long they've been waiting for a year like that.
    Guess what, if you go to the websites of the Cardinals, the Lions, the Saints, the Jets, etc... of any team that had a bad year, they will be posting messages like we are seeing here... '99 did make it hard to accept less, but that doesn't have anything to do with Jackson underperforming or the fact that this defense couldn't stop most college teams.

This is what fans do. They are their teams harshes critics. And if you are trying to figure out why they are not more complimentary of their teams bright sides when they suck, it's because THEY SUCK. These Rams suck this year. Maybe they'll be good next year, but that's then, and this is now. And this will be all off-season. And until they turn it around.

Every year, I go into the season with one expectation...that my team be in the playoff hunt until the end, so that I don't have to wish it was next year after the 5th game of the season. As long as they are on the list of "these are the teams fighting for a playoff spot" in the last few weeks of the year, I am OK. I also have an expectation of at least 9 wins. Anything above that is icing on the cake. Anything less, and I'm here speaking my mind about how the defense sucks, the safeties suck, the scheme sucks, etc...

I have a long laundry list for this team, including Jackson's inability to be more productive, Bulger's apparently injury prone now, Mike Martz hasn't looked like the "genius" he once was in quite some time, and the defense is terrible and needs to be torn down....

Welcome to the new board. New times.

Let the offseason begin!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I have a long laundry list for this team
    Just in time for festivus.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Anyway, I obviously need to step away from this forum for a little while. I don't know how long I'll be gone. Maybe a day or two, maybe longer. Maybe I'll lurk about, maybe not.

I'll see you when I see you.
    Oh, please don't go. I'm sure I'm not alone in being willing to annoint you Lord of the ClanRam if you just promise not to go. I'm sorry it has taken you so long to say your goodbyes. First, no more BOSH. and now this. Cry me a river.