Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Was it too soon?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Was it too soon?

Was Bradford rushed in his recovery? I'm sure he was constantly monitored by one or more doctors. Was it just a freak accident where the knee took an awkward hit? Or was he not fully healed?

I also have to now wonder if Jake Long is fully recovered and ready to go?

The pressure to get back on the field and play must be immense.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Was it too soon?

I think its a fair question.

As I noted in another thread, there seems to be a trend of players coming back from ACL injuries and quickly getting re-injured or suffering another injury (potentially due to favoring one side over the other). Bradford, Derrick Rose and RGII all come to mind.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

We'll never know, but when Bradford, Bradford's doctors, and team doctors all said he was 100%, I believed them. I'm frustrated that we finally got some decent receivers, and Bradford had no excuses left this season, and we'll never get to see what he really could do. Very, very, very disappointing.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    We'll never know, but when Bradford, Bradford's doctors, and team doctors all said he was 100%, I believed them. I'm frustrated that we finally got some decent receivers, and Bradford had no excuses left this season, and we'll never get to see what he really could do. Very, very, very disappointing.
    This is exactly the way I feel about this situation . I came home from a very good family get together only to hear this. We will never get to see the final chapter and only makes the Bradford debate pointless now. But it REALLY hurts to have it end as a what -if because I felt confident that he would turn the corner. Very disheartening! Man I hate this feeling!
    RamFan_Til_I_Die and lostsoul like this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

It takes about 6 months to recover from an acl injury. That would be about 180 days. its been about 300 days since the injury. I just think it was a freak injury.
    Brett Hundley Bandwagon 8/24/2014

general counsel is offline Registered User

It was a freak allright, a freak caused by some god awful blocking by jake long. It was a simple acl tear, one ligament only. all acl tears are not the same. I believe that rg III tore 3 of the 4 ligaments and i read at one point that was a material difference in terms of recovery and severity. In any event, surgery or not, your knee is not built to twist around the way sammy's knee twisted.

As to the point regarding out of excuses, i hear that loud and clear, but at the end of the day, i think many many people on this board agreed that we would go as far this year as our offensive line could take us. Well, i for one think that our offensive line couldnt even get us to the opening game. I am not giving up with Hill, but the future of the franchise at the most important position on the field is now completely up for grabs and i put that on the offensive line, rather than on bradford.

People can make all the comments about bradford they want and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i think the guy never had a great environment for him to be successful (specifically, the o line and receivers) and qb's are not supermen, they cant do it alone they need help, especially and most importantly from the offensive line. This was the first year that on paper, if healthy, we appeared to have an excellent o line, with the health being a big if. Jake Long let us all down big time and while i appreciate that he was playing himself back into shape, i dont think that failure should be lost in the shuffle.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

It was probably too soon. Adrian Peterson started this, but he was an anomoly.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

citr92 is offline Registered User

i think his leg may have had his weight taken off of it

he was stepping back after initial contact and it may have been enough

of course, without the muscles supporting it, tendons will go

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post

At the end of the day, I think many many people on this board agreed that we would go as far this year as our offensive line could take us. Well, i for one think that our offensive line couldn't even get us to the opening game. I am not giving up with Hill, but the future of the franchise at the most important position on the field is now completely up for grabs and I put that on the offensive line, rather than on Bradford.

People can make all the comments about Bradford they want and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think the guy never had a great environment for him to be successful (specifically, the o line and receivers) and QB's are not supermen, they cant do it alone they need help, especially and most importantly from the offensive line. This was the first year that on paper, if healthy, we appeared to have an excellent o line, with the health being a big if. Jake Long let us all down big time and while I appreciate that he was playing himself back into shape, I dont think that failure should be lost in the shuffle.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel

Totally agree. And I feel for JLong too. That was a terrible failure at blocking the Cleveland DE -- everyone in the world saw it. It was still time to PROTECT Bradford on his way back to being our starter for 2014. "What a let down" by Jake is right.

Hey, even I could have taken DE Armonty Bryant farther out of Bradford's way!

But yes, good point about our OL being on the spot. Come on OL!!!

Last edited by RealRam; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:33 AM. Reason: Speleen

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think Sam is just plain unlucky and injury prone......4 out of 6 years you can't play a full season tells me so.

300 days seems to be enough time given the TOP OF LINE medical support, state of the art rehab etc. He seems destined to be a guy that had great potential but never came through to meet that potential.

Perhaps the story on Sam is not over. Perhaps.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Hard to say if it was to soon. I guess the doctors have given him the green light so hard to blame the coaches based on that.

But two things I do not understand:
    1. Why are they putting in rusty Jake Long into the starting lineup against the Browns first team defense? I think that is asking for problems. It would have been better to put him in against the Browns second unit to get him up to speed there.

2. To me it did no look like Bradford was wearing any kneeprotecting device like this:
    Was it too soon?-38206_image.jpg
    I do not know if it would have helped. And he might have been wearing something like that but I do not think it looked like he did.

I feel sad for Bradford, for the team and for us fan. I had high hopes for nr 8 this year. But if the injury had to happen I am glad it was in the preseason and not in game 1 or 2. Now we at least have a little extra time to get Hill 100% ready.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    300 days seems to be enough time given the TOP OF LINE medical support, state of the art rehab etc. He seems destined to be a guy that had great potential but never came through to meet that potential.
    Realistically 300 days usually isn't enough to fully heal and get back close to 100% no matter how top of the line the medical support and rehab is. If you have never had a serious knee injury I can see why people might think 300 days is enough especially because Adrian Peterson is a freak. AP is an anomoly, he isn't the norm. Look at RG3, he still doesn't look right. If you know anything about the NBA you can see that Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls) still isn't right and is sitting out some FIBA practices and games due to knee soreness and this is going on 2+ years for him.

Sure 300 days is enough to walk around fairly normally, but to play a pro contact sport it's just not enough for 99% of athletes. Adrian Peterson is the one percent and now gives everyone the expectation that anyone can come back as fast as he did. That's just not realistic when dealing with knee injuries.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    Hard to say if it was to soon. I guess the doctors have given him the green light so hard to blame the coaches based on that.

But two things I do not understand:
    1. Why are they putting in rusty Jake Long into the starting lineup against the Browns first team defense? I think that is asking for problems. It would have been better to put him in against the Browns second unit to get him up to speed there.

2. To me it did no look like Bradford was wearing any kneeprotecting device like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38206_image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	4378
    I do not know if it would have helped. And he might have been wearing something like that but I do not think it looked like he did.

I feel sad for Bradford, for the team and for us fan. I had high hopes for nr 8 this year. But if the injury had to happen I am glad it was in the preseason and not in game 1 or 2. Now we at least have a little extra time to get Hill 100% ready.
    This is what I was thinking, why was he not wearing a knee brace? I said that prior to his injury too...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Yes without a doubt it was too soon! Too soon to throw Jake Long in with the starters. Why not start him with the twos and let him knock off some of the considerable rust? I wondered about that before Jake even played his first snap in the preseason. If Fish had it to do over again .. oh well, he doesn't, so I won't go there ..

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

He WAS wearing a knee brace...

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast