NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Top 10 gutsiest performances

Got home this evening and flipped on the NFL Network. They have a show on in which a top ten list is recognized (top 10 all-time teams, top 10 team nicknames, top 10 single game performances, etc.) This evening's show was on the top ten all-time gutsiest performances. Number one was Jack Youngblood playing throughout the '79-'80 playoffs and SuperBowl on a broken leg.

There was some great footage throughout the 7-8 minute segment, including commentary from guys like Eric Dickerson, Pat Haden and numerous others praising Youngblood's grit and determination. Youngblood himself talked of playing thru pain out of an obligation to his teammates and to set an example as captain.

Not only did he play on the broken leg for 2 1/2 games, but also kept his commitment and played in the following Sunday's pro bowl. Unbelievable. Though the story is now legendary, this show had me fired up and made my evening.

They don't make them like him anymore. Jack Youngblood: A MAN among men.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Top 10 gutsiest performances

i love them top 10 shows...the pass rushers one was great too...Deacon was tops and Kevin Greene was about 5th i believe,although i loved Kevin Greene with a passion,i had forgotten quite how crazy the dude was until they showed him talking during games..lol..he was crazy and very funny!

looking forward to when they show the top 10 gutsiest performances over here now... i didnt get to see much of Jacks career due to my age..but did get to see him play a few games in his final years..a truly great player & warrior.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Got home this evening and flipped on the NFL Network. They have a show on in which a top ten list is recognized (top 10 all-time teams, top 10 team nicknames, top 10 single game performances, etc.) This evening's show was on the top ten all-time gutsiest performances. Number one was Jack Youngblood playing throughout the '79-'80 playoffs and SuperBowl on a broken leg.

There was some great footage throughout the 7-8 minute segment, including commentary from guys like Eric Dickerson, Pat Haden and numerous others praising Youngblood's grit and determination. Youngblood himself talked of playing thru pain out of an obligation to his teammates and to set an example as captain.

Not only did he play on the broken leg for 2 1/2 games, but also kept his commitment and played in the following Sunday's pro bowl. Unbelievable. Though the story is now legendary, this show had me fired up and made my evening.

thanks for the post, Youngblood was the best football player I have seen,I grew up with him being my hero and he still is to this day,I had the pleasure of meeting him once at a card show and he still looks like he could play today,what he did for those 2 1/2 games plus the probowl will never be duplicated.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

He was a LEGEND among little kids playing in a sandbox.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I saw this and thought "Youngblood better have been in the top 3."
    I wasn't around to see his performance, but read about it and even just thinking about it, I realized that dude LOVED the game and was committed.

keith m. klink Guest

HE was and always will be FOOTBALL !!!. You won't see that again .