Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Top 10 things Rams fans can say around the water cooler

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    ADMINISTRATIVE NOTICE:

SMACK IS LIMITED TO THE WEEKLY SMACK THREAD........AND THIS AIN'T IT.

PLEASE, NO MORE SMACK. THANK YOU.

Sorry Hub. You're right.

Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    If I were a Tards fan, I would have been wishing for Noheart, uh, I mean, Leinart to go down sooner.
    Noheart, that is classic! I think I'll use that when I go to the game in Arizona just to keep things lively.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sorry Hub. You're right.
    No apology needed. And please don't think that was addressed at you. It was a just a general note that happened to follow your post. That's all.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Those few that will continue to watch are either die-hards, masochists or suffer from a shared delusion that "it's not over yet."
    Never surrender!
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Rams232 is offline Registered User

If I were a Tards fan, I would have been wishing for Noheart, uh, I mean, Leinart to go down sooner. Now, maybe they'll make some headway with Warner. No, wait, this is the Tards we're talking about. What was I thinking? The Tards are, and always will be the laughing stock of the NFL. There's nothing funnier, or more amusing than a Deadbirds fan trying to call out fans of any other team, especially when they're dumb enough to mention conference championships or Superbowls. They haven't even sniffed a Championship season. Since I really don't know much about the Tards, because, really, who ever talks about them, I decided to look up their history and see what they've accomplished.

Hmmmmmmm, looking, ...still looking. Hey, here's something. They were 9-7 in 1998!!!! Oh, and the last winning season before that? 1984. I guess that's something to brag about.
    Be careful about taking the Cards to lightly this year. A lot of similarities to our 99' team. Remember, we were the laughing stock of the league in the 90's as well & rose from the ashes w/ an owner who may be as bad if not worse than Bidwell. The Cards are a very talented team & Whis is showing his prowess as a hc. What Grimm has done w/ that line is nothing short of miraculous. Wish we had Grimm over here.

It'll be interesting to see if Warner can re-kindle the ole magic. If he can, behind a much better line than he's had in years, your comments about the "Tards" may come back to haunt you. Ram On!

Quote Originally Posted by Rams232 View Post
    Be careful about taking the Cards to lightly this year. A lot of similarities to our 99' team. Remember, we were the laughing stock of the league in the 90's as well & rose from the ashes w/ an owner who may be as bad if not worse than Bidwell. The Cards are a very talented team & Whis is showing his prowess as a hc. What Grimm has done w/ that line is nothing short of miraculous. Wish we had Grimm over here.

It'll be interesting to see if Warner can re-kindle the ole magic. If he can, behind a much better line than he's had in years, your comments about the "Tards" may come back to haunt you. Ram On!
    I just don't see any similarities between the 07 Cardinals and our 99 team other than Warner being on both rosters. The Cardinals are 1 game over .500 and certainly haven't dominated anyone. Our 99 team jumped out of the gates with 6 straight wins and crushed every opponent in that string.

I think Arizona looks improved, but they are not going to run away with anything like we did in '99, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I just don't see any similarities between the 07 Cardinals and our 99 team other than Warner being on both rosters. The Cardinals are 1 game over .500 and certainly haven't dominated anyone. Our 99 team jumped out of the gates with 6 straight wins and crushed every opponent in that string.

I think Arizona looks improved, but they are not going to run away with anything like we did in '99, no way.
    Similarities:
    Qb - Same
    Rb - Dynamic runner, one of the best in the league, can catch the ball in space & make a lot out of it.
    Receivers - Athletic, smart, disciplined in routes, & can dominate the opposition.
    O-line - Good enough to get it done.
    Defense - Good but not great. Will do just enough to let the offense win the game.
    Special teams - Definite edge to the old Rams, but Breaston can break a game wide open as seen against us. Punters & kickers are even.
    Line coaches - Amongst the best in the league. Make their lines better than what they really are.
    Head coaches - Cerebral & great motivators. Risk takers. They know the game & how to get the most out of their players. Players totally buy into their systems.
    Owners - Amongst the worst in football, but somehow put it together for a run at the gold. Georgia has reverted to her old ways. Bidwell may very well as well.
    Last but not least - Both teams may end up coming out of the blue & do the unexpected. Nobody gave the Rams a shot or the Cards this year largely due to their reputations.

Now, are there a lot of dissimilarities such as their records to start the season, & o.c.'s? Absolutely. But it will definitely be interesting to see how the similarities play out. Ram On!

Kind of glossed over the biggest difference though, didn't ya?

1999 Rams - Martz
    2007 Cards - Not Martz
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Similarities:
    Qb - Same
    Well, except for the pesky 8 years older thing.

Rb - Dynamic runner, one of the best in the league, can catch the ball in space & make a lot out of it.
    The 2007 version of James is about as much like the 1999 version of Faulk as a 1999 Honda Accord is like a 2007 Corvette.

Receivers - Athletic, smart, disciplined in routes, & can dominate the opposition.
    The Cards receivers are good, but they are not 4 deep like the Rams were in 1999.

O-line - Good enough to get it done.
    Close, but no Pace.

Defense - Good but not great. Will do just enough to let the offense win the game.
    The Rams defense in 1999 was actually better than "good but not great."

Special teams - Definite edge to the old Rams, but Breaston can break a game wide open as seen against us. Punters & kickers are even.
    Horne and Hakim were pretty special back then.

All in all, not even remotely close.

Now, are there a lot of dissimilarities such as their records to start the season, & o.c.'s? Absolutely. But it will definitely be interesting to see how the similarities play out. Ram On!
    The similarities you outlined could fit any number of other teams right now, but you certainly can't add explosive and dominant to your list, which is what matters. The Cardinals are a marginal team that are lucky they're not 2-3.

Again, the Cardinals look improved, but they don't resemble the 99 Rams in any way, shape or form. At least in my opinion.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

1999 SUPERBOWL XXXIV CHAMPION ST. LOUIS RAMS

#1 Offense
    #6 Defense

I rest my case.

Guys, did I say exactly or similar? Although I appreciate your opinions & respect them, I feel there are some striking simlilarities. Warner is 8 years removed from '99, Plunkett was about the same age when he won his last SB. James is certainly no Faulk but there are some similarities as to the type of back they are & how good they are vs. their competition. The Cards receivers are deeper than you think & Boldin can flat out run over people, something our recievers have never been able to do. You won't see Boldin hitting the carpet. Fitz has something else our guys don't, the ability to leap out of the bldg. Along w/ his height, we could sure use something like that in the red zone. Their propensity to fumble isn't nearly as high either. They don't have Pace, but they've only given up 5 sacks so far on the season. If I'm not mistaken, we gave up 31 sacks in 99'.

Hub, even though I didn't mention Martz by name, I certainly did mention the obvious dissimilarity there.

Bottom line, I was mearly noting that many of the situations are similar. Rams circa 99'-01' was special & certainly not to be duplicated in many ways by the Cards. Their rise & end result could be similar though. The odds are against that, but the odds weren't very good for us going into 99' either. It will be interesting to see to say the least. Ram On!

woody4cards is offline Registered User

i guess some of my fans have not read all my posts..... if they had they would know that i have been a cowboys fan since i was 10 years old ... the cards are my 2nd team.... old enough to remember staubachs last game.... a loss to the rams in 79.....

so just to answer a few questions with out talking SMACK!!!!!

I am not going anywhere
    i did not get kicked off of the cards site
    as long as we are comparing things....anybody care to count superbowl wins for the guys with stars on the helmet?? i didnt think so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woody4cards View Post
    i guess some of my fans have not read all my posts..... if they had they would know that i have been a cowboys fan since i was 10 years old ... the cards are my 2nd team.... old enough to remember staubachs last game.... a loss to the rams in 79.....

so just to answer a few questions with out talking SMACK!!!!!

I am not going anywhere
    i did not get kicked off of the cards site
    as long as we are comparing things....anybody care to count superbowl wins for the guys with stars on the helmet?? i didnt think so!!!
    Woody, I would think you'd be using your boundless energy to put the fans in New England and Carolina in their places. Life is too short to waste your time on Rams fans who do nothing but whine and complain about how unfair the world is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams232
    Hub, even though I didn't mention Martz by name, I certainly did mention the obvious dissimilarity there.
    Quite true, my friend. And as I mentioned, it was the glossing over of the point that struck me. The "Martz" difference is the single biggest difference between those two teams.

I'm just not yet convinced the 26-year-old Faulk and his 2400+ yards are comparable to the 29-year-old Edge and his (projected) 1600+ yards. Nor am I sure the rough and tumble Boldin and Fitzgerald and their "run'em over style" is anywhere near the productive pair of Holt and Bruce under Martz. One reason may be that very style of play......in their short careers Boldin & Fitz have missed more games (13) than Holt & Bruce (1) missed during the entire Martz era. And while the 36-year-old Warner still looks pretty good, he's nowhere near the 28-year-old version. Even the much maligned Rams defense (15 pts./game, 316 yards/game) was significantly better than the Cards D (22 pts/game, 340 yards/game)

However, ignoring all that, the difference in Offensive mindset is simply too much to ever make a meaningful comparison between the 2007 Cards and 1999 Rams. Martz' offense was 1st in points (33/game) and 1st in yards (415/game). The Cards are 8th in points (23/game) and 10th in yards (353/game).

I'm just not seeing the similarities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast