Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Top 25 wide receivers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

Look at this article.

Torry Holt is just 12th... I can't realize how he is underrated. Bucky Brooks was a receiver by the way...
    Even if it is just prediction for 2007, it's a very strange ranking.

About Roy Williams
    "Teaming with Mike Furrey and rookie Calvin Johnson, in the Lions' version of "The Greatest Show On Turf""

The GSOT ???
    Warner vs Kitna, Bruce/Holt/Hakim vs Williams/Johnson/Furrey, Faulk vs Jones the Skill positions are better, and the Oline is far better.
    A bad article.

What do you think about that ?

Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Top 25 wide receivers

Mike Martz was figure out in the SB upset to the Patriots and the GSOT was dead after that. We got punched in the mouth and our bruises never healed. Teams will be ready to over throw that offense. their recievers may show some promise but don't come close to Bruce, Holt and Hakim. They dont even have the QB and RB that we had in Warner and Faulk. Indeed a bad article and whoever wrote it is flat out dreaming or must be a Lions fan.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I have to disagree with this article. Here's the per game stats for each of the top 12 over the past two seasons:

Receptions

1. Torry Holt - 6.50
    2. Steve Smith - 6.20
    3. Anquan Boldin - 6.17
    4. Chad Johnson - 5.75
    5. T. Owens - 5.74
    6. Andre Johnson - 5.72
    7. Marvin Harrison - 5.71
    8. Donald Driver - 5.56
    9. Reggie Wayne - 5.28
    10. Roy Williams - 4.38
    11. Javon Walker - 4.29
    12. Randy Moss - 3.52

Yards

1. Steve Smith - 91.0
    2. Chad Johnson - 87.5
    3. Anquan Boldin - 86.8
    4. T. Owens - 84.5
    5. Torry Holt - 84.0
    6. Marvin Harrison - 81.0
    7. Donald Driver - 78.6
    8. Reggie Wayne - 73.9
    9. Roy Williams - 68.9
    10. Javon Walker - 65.4
    11. Andre Johnson - 63.3
    12. Randy Moss - 53.7

Touchdowns

1. T. Owens - .826
    2. Marvin Harrison - .774
    3. Steve Smith - .667
    4. Torry Holt - .633
    5. Roy Williams - .517
    6.Chad Johnson - .500
    7. Javon Walker - .471
    8. Reggie Wayne - .438
    9. Donald Driver - .406
    10. Randy Moss - .379
    11.Anquan Boldin - .367
    12. Andre Johnson - .241

Holt is 1st in receptions, 5th in yards, 4th in TDs............but 12th overall? Just doesn't add up, folks.

Let's carry this out one step further. Let's add up the rankings to see the overall rankings (like golf, lowest score wins) with the articles rank in italics:

1. Steve Smith - 6 - (1st)
    2t. Torry Holt - 10 - (12th)
    2t. T. Owens - 10 - (5th)
    4. Chad Johnson - 12 - (2nd)
    5. Marvin Harrison - 15 - (4th)
    6. Anquan Boldin - 17 - (9th)
    7t. Roy Williams - 24 - (3rd)
    7t. Donald Driver - 24 - (7th)
    9. Reggie Wayne - 25 - (11th)
    10. Javon Walker - 28 - (8th)
    11. Andre Johnson - 29 - (6th)
    12. Randy Moss - 34 - (10th)

Is there any doubt Torry Holt is the most underrated receiver in the league?
    Last edited by HUbison; -06-27-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark Guest

Lots of weird choices on that list, Donald Driver & Andre Johnson are way overrated there. Roy Williams may come to deserve a #2 spot after this year or next, but not yet, he hasn't proved enough at all to be called the 2nd best WR in the NFL.

I would've said more but HUBison really said it all and ripped that article apart with his stat comparison - the author should be ashamed, I hope someone throws those stats in his face.

RedArcher7 Guest

This article is wrong, but there's still a ton of people that write/talk about Torry Holt being the best receiver in the game today. I don't think anyone seriously thinks he's 12th. This guy must have some formula to come up with that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Holt has the highest average yards a game in NFL history.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Lots of ambiguity in Brooks' list criteria. He starts off by stating the list is based on "taking the entire game into account", then finishes by saying his rankings are based on "how I think they will fare in 2007", which points to stats. Who knows what Bucky is thinking here. My only guess as to why Holt is ranked so low is that Brooks may think his stats may dip with the multitude of weapons the Rams offense is now stacked with.

I also find it amusing that he makes a point of saying that the list is not based on end-zone dancers, then starts his praise of #2 Chad Johnson by calling him a "flamboyant" playmaker.

RealRam is offline Registered User

As I've mentioned in AV's "To be fair ... I don't care" thread, these writers are going through the doldrums of the offseason too. But that, of course, does not justify being so careless / wrong, just plain wrong, about rating the players!

Thanks HUbison for collecting and posting those comparative stats. They speak for themselves. :bash:

My friend Torry may be underrated but still ranks among the top five WRs in the NFL.

suhpr3me Guest

Who beat Chad Johnson and Steve Smith at the best hands competition in last years pro bowl? Haha yea thats right. kthx

Zero Cool Guest

I agree that Holt doesn't get the respect he deserves but he is far from underated. I would say he just doesn't get enough credit for doing a good job.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
    I agree that Holt doesn't get the respect he deserves but he is far from underated. I would say he just doesn't get enough credit for doing a good job.
    Intriguing. If he doesn't get the respect he deserves and just doesn't get enough credit for doing a good job, how is he not (by definition) underrated?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BigDaddyPace Guest

This guy is a bonafide idiot. This list is crap. Javon Walker is better than Holt!!!! Give me a break! I think Holt generally gets more credit than this guy gives him, so I wouldn't call him underated. The reason Torry doesn't get as much recognition as some of the other guys is because he played on a mediocre team for the past few years and he doesn't do any stupid endzone dances after his TDs. Things will change this year.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Tory Holt is top 5 with out a doubt i think Steve Smith is good, but doesn't deserve the number one spot. Andre Johnson is underrated even though he's at six the guy plays with nothing around him and still puts up huge numbers.

Zero Cool Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Intriguing. If he doesn't get the respect he deserves and just doesn't get enough credit for doing a good job, how is he not (by definition) underrated?
    Basically everybody knows Torry holt they just chose to ignore how good he is!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I read this article and these predictions are just about 2007, it's not an overall who's the best active wr in the league, it's just what Brooks thinks will happen this year.

Besides that I just don't see why people get upset when writers make lists or predictions and Holt and the Rams are too low, but if a writer ranks them high the writer is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Most of us here read about & watch enough football to be able to compile our own non-biased list of the top WRs, top teams, top RBs etc. So why get bent out of shape when lists and predictions like this come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I read this article and these predictions are just about 2007, it's not an overall who's the best active wr in the league, it's just what Brooks thinks will happen this year.
    Exactly. It sounds as if some are outraged because Brooks thinks Holt is the 12th best receiver in the NFL. But that's not what the article is about. Brooks is ranking them "based on how I think they will fare in 2007," and like it or not, with the emergence of Steven Jackson, the acquisition of Drew Bennett, and the incorporation of Randy McMichael, there's a case to be made that Holt's numbers could go down in 2007 simply because the ball is being spread around among more players.

It's important to look at what's actually being ranked before jumping on the author.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast