Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MauiRam
  • 1 Post By berg8309

Thread: Top 5 Rookie Running Backs Heading Into The 2013 NFL Season

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Top 5 Rookie Running Backs Heading Into The 2013 NFL Season

Adamís Sports Chat Place Six Pack
    Written by Adam on July 11, 2013

The NFL season is almost here and a lot of teams are going to find themselves with new faces in the backfield. The running backs of this year are going to experience baptism by fire for the most part, but some of these backs are more than ready for it. Here are the players that will be lighting up the field come September.

5. Zac Stacy (St. Louis Rams)- Not a lot of people reacted much when the St. Louis Rams selected Stacy in the 5th round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Some thought he would be a nice goal line back and others thought he would be a good 3rd and 1 kind of guy. All this garbage needs to be thrown out the window right now because not only is Stacy going to take the starting job with a vicious fervor once camp starts, heís going to be this yearís Trent Richardson. Stacy has the field vision of a seasoned veteran and heís got a chip on his shoulder after being overshadowed throughout his years in the SEC by players like Trent Richardson. At 5í8, 216 pounds, Stacy is built like concrete pyramid and runs with the aggression of Adrian Peterson. Stacy is going to pick up where Steven Jackson left off and immediately make the Rams one of the best running teams in the league.

Sounds good to me, hope he's right!

4. Giovani Bernard (Cincinnati Bengals)- Bernard is going to get a great chance to start right away this coming season because letís be honest, Benjarvus Green Ellis is the furthest thing from a quality starting running back. What Bernard brings to the table is game speed. He wasnít the fastest back at the combine, but when Bernard hits the grid iron, you will see quickness that is reminiscent of LeSean McCoy and power like Ahmad Bradshaw. Bernard has the ability to catch out of the backfield as well as punt return and if he is anything like the player he was at UNC, he will be a nightmare for NFL teams to game plan for. Another trait Bernard has that doesnít look apparent by his size is the ability to bowl over defenders. Bernard generates a lot of power from his lower body and defenders will find themselves dealing with a bulldog in the trenches once Bernard comes their way.

3. Montee Ball (Denver Broncos)- No more Willis McGahee for the Broncos and that means they are either trusting Knoshon Moreno be the back they thought they drafted or they are trusting the primary running back duties to a rookie in Montee Ball. Iím going to be that Ball wins that battle with ease as there are few backs in college football history with a better resume than Montee Ball. Ball was a touchdown machine at Wisconsin and his specialty was goal line scoring. With the Broncos, you can bet Peyton Manning will have that high powered offense in the red zone more often than not and thatís going to allow Ball to get tons of easy touchdowns this year and I wouldnít be the slightest bit of surprised if he ended up with 10 of them. Ball had touchdown totals of 18,33 and 22 in his last three seasons as Badger and you can be sure he is ready to bring that touchdown talent to the mile high city.

2. Jonathan Franklin (Green Bay Packers)- Franklin has a hell of a battle on his hands for the role of starting running back this year. Eddie Lacy was drafted by the Packers as well and although many have pegged Lacy to get the nod, I believe one of the true hidden gems of this draft is Jonathan Franklin. Franklin is a complete package at the running back position and this is invaluable when it comes to playing for a team with Aaron Rodgers at the controls. Franklin can run routes better than any other back in the draft and he is an adept receiver, but where he truly shines is finding holes in the defense with the ball in his hands. Franklin has amazing field vision and cutting ability and has a habit of making something out of nothing when a play becomes broken. Franklin is also a very powerful back at the point of contact and heís not afraid to lower his shoulder when it comes to fighting for the extra yard. Rodgers will find himself checking down to Franklin a whole lot this season as his receiving core is now one superstar short after Greg Jenningsí departure this offseason.

1. Marcus Lattimore (San Francisco *****)- Itís safe to say that after two seasons as an NFL head coach, Jim Harbaugh knows exactly what heís doing. The latest proof of that is going to be his drafting of Marcus Lattimore. How a player of this caliber fell into the 5th round is just beyond comprehension to me, but good for the ***** for being smart enough to see the immense talent that Lattimore brings. Lattimore is the type of back who you can watch and forget what team he is on. What I mean by that is that he is so good at times that it looks like you are just watching a highlight real except that itís happening in real time and nobody has a chance to stop it. Lattimore is one of those rare combos of speed and power that hasnít come around since Adrian Peterson and to get a talent like that in the 5th round is grand theft running back. When he is healthy enough to play, the ***** will see a freak athlete who can catch the ball out of the backfield and rip a defense for gigantic gains when he gets in the open field. Lattimore also has the power to run over any defender and his stiff arms and jukes are a thing of beauty when they happen as he often looks like heís untouchable when he kicks into his second gear. He may not play every game next year, but Lattimore is without a doubt going to be the best of this crop of running backs.
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Top 5 Rookie Running Backs Heading Into The 2013 NFL Season

Lattimore is waaaaaaaaaay overrated.

I find it interesting that you can find articles predicting that Pead and Stacy will be breakout players, but the guy who's proven the most in the NFL at this point is Richardson.

I'm looking forward to the competition between the three.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Guess the Sandwich Maker is serving up chopped liver .. Should be a heated competition - Ganaway should have a good sized chip on his shoulder, as he's mostly been an afterthought so far as the media is concerned. He's received more publicity from serving up his "foot longs" than he's received for his on-field abilities.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Lattimore is waaaaaaaaaay overrated.
    Agreed, I doubt he'll get any carries seeing that this season will consist of him recovering from that nasty injury.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'm not sure Zac is a pyramid of power just yet but by next year I think it could be a possibility.
    I like him in the rotation. Very little chance IMO that he or anyone else is featured as a go-to guy in this offense in 2013.

Randart is offline Registered User

Nice article, enjoyed it very much... No top five ranking for the guy once considered best of the backs in this years crop, Lacy? WOW! I do agree that Jon Franklin might be the steal of the draft and also I agree with AvR that M. Lattimore might be the most over rated guy in the draft. No one is really sure how much of his ability he will still have after rehabbing his second major knee injury. Like some have mentioned I want to see our backs used in committee form. Let them all have a few rounds doesn't have to be perfect evenly parselled out but give them all a good chance. Use them in their best situations for success. Stacy & Ganaway might be the best blockers so keep them in for 3rd downs etc... I have faithe in our Coaching staff now more than since the mad scientist and Coach Vermiel were in town together.

Speaking of Martz anyone else ever noticed he is a poor field general? Good play designer but wow he was blind when it comes to running game situations! I remember seeing a game when Kurt got a concussion at NY against the Giants you could see the guy was out of it on TV and the Mad one put him back in when he was Head Coach... I was shocked, and yelling at the TV! lol

We've come along waaaay baby from then to Coach Fisher! Excited to see what this season is going to be like... Go Rams!!!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Ah, I see Harbaugh has moved into the "Literally cannot make one single bad player decision ever" realm of hype for this guy. Lattimore has talent, but to proclaim him the next adrian peterson, basically, is a stretch. The guy has a much worse knee injury than most, and yes McGhee recovered from the same type of injury, but when you tear all three major ligaments, you don't just spring out of your chair with the same speed and strength as before.

Until Lattimore shows that he can ACTUALLY play again, I'm not going to listen to anyone who proclaims the ***** just stole the show by drafting a guaranteed hall of famer in the 5th round. They passed on him 4 time too. You don't pass on guys that you KNOW are 8 time pro bowl hall of fame players. Ever.
    Randart likes this.