AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Top 5 Things That Matter, and Don't Matter, in Preseason

Top 5 Things That Matter

1. The number and severity of injuries.
    2. The relative play of players battling for a position.
    3. The degree of improvement of rookie play.
    4. The success/failure of newly implemented formations, plays and schemes.
    5. The emergence of potential "diamonds in the rough."

Top 5 Things That Don't Matter

1. The outcome of the games.
    2. Overall team statistics.
    3. Individual statistics.
    4. The play of proven players still in their prime.
    5. Starters being held out due to very minor injuries.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Top 5 Things That Matter, and Don't Matter, in Preseason

I must disagree, sort of. The outcome of the games ??? I would say the outcome of the game is important. I would like to see the Rams win all their games, preseason or regular season obviously. However Preseason game 4 is magnified in that the team would like to go into the regular season with some sort of momentum.

:l

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Actually, game 3 is usually considered the most important. That's the game in which most teams play their starters for most or all of the first half. The final game is usually considered a minor tuneup and the starters play very little, if at all.

You're right, so then let's win the last 2 games and steam roll into the regular season.

MOMENTUM !

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Actually, game 3 is usually considered the most important. That's the game in which most teams play their starters for most or all of the first half. The final game is usually considered a minor tuneup and the starters play very little, if at all.
    You're right on there Avenger. Game #3 is the "state of the union" game. We'll get a good look, and feel, for the Rams readiness for regular season in KC when the starters play an entire half. Although I do agree with you that winning and losing preseason games is meaningless in that the slate is wiped clean at the conclusion of the preseason, I think it IS important that we're "competitive" in each game, which we have been. Conversely, if you get your arz handed to you in two or more of the games, you're got to be questioning yourself heading into the season, and that's NEVER good.

..just fix the special teams, please.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think if you want any relevance at all to wins and losses, you should only be looking at whether we are winning or losing when the first team leaves the field, and by that i mean the full healthy first team. For example, when i hear people say that the first team couldnt run the ball on saturday night i laugh because the first team wasnt on the field. We had no pace and no fullback. Thus, its not the first team. If we play a regular season game without pace and without a fullback, do you expect us to be able to run the ball well or at all in that game? I sure dont.

I dont buy into momentum on wins and loses if the outcome of the game is decided based on one teams backups being better than another teams backups.

These guys are professionals, they know what counts and what doesnt.

To me, while i dont disagree with a number of av's comments, i think 1-4.999 on a scale of 1-5 is whether you can come out of the preseason with all your guys healthy. That is what gives you the best chance to win when we play for real.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I think if you want any relevance at all to wins and losses, you should only be looking at whether we are winning or losing when the first team leaves the field, and by that i mean the full healthy first team. For example, when i hear people say that the first team couldnt run the ball on saturday night i laugh because the first team wasnt on the field. We had no pace and no fullback. Thus, its not the first team. If we play a regular season game without pace and without a fullback, do you expect us to be able to run the ball well or at all in that game? I sure dont.

I dont buy into momentum on wins and loses if the outcome of the game is decided based on one teams backups being better than another teams backups.

These guys are professionals, they know what counts and what doesnt.

To me, while i dont disagree with a number of av's comments, i think 1-4.999 on a scale of 1-5 is whether you can come out of the preseason with all your guys healthy. That is what gives you the best chance to win when we play for real.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Spot on post that puts it all in perspective. I would add that last year, Indianapolis went 0-5 in the preseason and then went on to rattle off 13 straight in the regular season.

I seem to remember ( was it 2004 ) we were 0-4 in the preseason and started out the regular season 0-5. I would just like the vets, newcomers and rookies to be on the momentum wagon. I truly believe it is important.