Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Top Positions We Must Rebuild

How in the world can ANYONE believe that replacing bulger with a young qb is going to make any difference without an offensive line and running game. Look at matt ryan. How do you think he would be doing behind the rams line and with jackson on the bench and with a group of rookie receivers. Ryan is doing very well because he has an excellent underated offensive line, a terrific running game with turner and a solid defense to keep him from having to win on his own.

I bet people would have LOVED to see us get Jamarcus Russell. How does he look without an offensive line or any weapons at all. 31 yards passing today and they are risking long term damage to his career.

If the offensive line and weapons are fixed, there is simply no evidence to suggest that bulger wont be fine.

I also agree completely that we need a young qb to develop, its just foolish to think that replacing bulger without fixing the offensive line is going to change anything at all

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I agree - Barron's gotta go! Kreider's gotta go (what good is a Fullback that can't
    pass block)?

WE NEED A GOOD STRONG SAFETY.

How about a NEW OFFENSIVE LINE COACH?

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I think you should answer my question about the 1st round QB sucking.
    I think our offensive line has improved and has been made scapegoats of much of others problems. In Todays game there was no mention if little of #70, #68, #76 (as far as penalties)and the rest of the OL did a solid job. BARRON & COGS are coming along nicely, yet they are still very young! Ol man Pace still proves he can hold his own. Too much is made of the O-Line. As far as the 1st round QB sucking; What the difference than what we got now at QB!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I think our offensive line has improved and has been made scapegoats of much of others problems. In Todays game there was no mention if little of #70, #68, #76 (as far as penalties)and the rest of the OL did a solid job. BARRON & COGS are coming along nicely, yet they are still very young! Ol man Pace still proves he can hold his own. Too much is made of the O-Line. As far as the 1st round QB sucking; What the difference than what we got now at QB!
    You're joking. Watch the tape. Bulger got sacked twice and pressured countless other times- you don't think that's at all conducive to the fact that the offense struggled to sustain a drive? When you can't run the ball, that's what happens. Where does pace prove he can hold his own? All I saw was him getting spun round by Chike Okeafor and Co, and Bulger being planted on his bum. Just because you put their names in Block Letters doesn't make COGS or BARRON any more impressive in my eyes.

Believe me- if the OL was any good, we'd be a succesful football team.
    Want to know why the Patriots are 5-3 without Tom Brady? OL play.
    Want to know why the Bengals are 1-8? OL went belly up.
    Want to know why Clinton Portis is the league's leading rusher? OL play.
    Want to know why even Gus Ferrotte is winning? Fantastic OL.
    Why did Trent Green fail? Same old sorry Rams OL.

And as for the suggestion that our OL are being used as scapegoats?

HAH!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    You're joking. Watch the tape. Bulger got sacked twice and pressured countless other times- you don't think that's at all conducive to the fact that the offense struggled to sustain a drive? When you can't run the ball, that's what happens. Where does pace prove he can hold his own? All I saw was him getting spun round by Chike Okeafor and Co, and Bulger being planted on his bum. Just because you put their names in Block Letters doesn't make COGS or BARRON any more impressive in my eyes.

Believe me- if the OL was any good, we'd be a succesful football team.
    Want to know why the Patriots are 5-3 without Tom Brady? OL play.
    Want to know why the Bengals are 1-8? OL went belly up.
    Want to know why Clinton Portis is the league's leading rusher? OL play.
    Want to know why even Gus Ferrotte is winning? Fantastic OL.
    Why did Trent Green fail? Same old sorry Rams OL.

And as for the suggestion that our OL are being used as scapegoats?

HAH!
    How did the line hold up against Washington, Dallas and New England? How is today any different?
    Bengals did a pretty good job today with Fitz at QB.
    It's too easy to point the finger at the O-Line.
    Linny was right when he benched Bulger. He knew the point of the problem, and was crucified for his decision.
    Trent Green did ok concidering he hadn't played in almost two years.
    I beg to differ, the Offensive line is Fine!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Alex Barron and Richie Incognito are both in their fourth year and still make the same mistakes they made as rookies (in Cogs' case, this Nebraska fan will say the same mistakes they made in college). How long are we going to wait for them to "come along"? Offensive linemen are supposed to be the smartest guys on the field. How come these two dummies never learn how to play their position?

Pace got owned several times today, resulting in crucial hurries or blown up plays. I'd hardly call that holding his own.

The failed 4th Down Conversion to start the second half is pretty much on the line for being unable to adequately block. The Cardinals D-Line blew up that play from the start.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

How did the line hold up against Washington, Dallas and New England? How is today any different?
    The line didn't hold up.

How did the Line hold up against Washington? If you'll recall the OL, or at least one of its members, nearly cost us the game.

How did the line hold up against Dallas?
    Just fine. See: injuries/Today's edition of the Bengals.

How did the line hold up against New England?
    The line killed us in the fourth quarter. Our two final drives, fifteen yard penalties were given against your boys Cogs and Barron that resulted in the shanked punt by Jones which gave New England great field position to march right down the field for the go-ahead score, and then put Bulger in a compromising position on the final drive, where they gave up the penalty to make it third and a mile, and then gave him no protection- he had to force the ball to Burton on fourth down, and was picked.

Quote Originally Posted by dgr
    It's too easy to point the finger at the O-Line.
    You're making it seem awfully easy to point the finger at Bulger and nobody else.

Could Bulger play better? Certainly.

But is it conducive to the play of the OL? You have to think they're equally, if not more culpable.

Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

Find me a team with a fantastic OL, and show me the Quarterback struggling to produce. It just doesn't happen. I can't think of one.

But if I ask you to find me a team with a proven QB and an OL who can't match it... well we've already gone through several in the course of this discussion.

My point is this: QBs don't make OLs, but OLs sure have a hand in making a QB.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123