r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Top Ten Gutsiest Performances Of All-Time, Jack Youngblood No. 1

Top 10 gutsiest performances of all-time
    NFL.com

10. McNabb plays on broken ankle
    Donovan McNabb threw up during a Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean he's not a tough guy, as evidenced by this effort in 2002.

9. Pastorini becomes first to wear flak jacket
    Instead of being forced to the sidelines with cracked ribs, Dan Pastorini pioneered a new era for quarterbacks, debuting revolutionary padding.

8. Rivers plays AFC title game on torn ACL
    After injuring his knee in a playoff win over the Colts, Philip Rivers decides to play in the AFC Championship Game with a torn knee ligament.

7. Davis gets migraine in Super Bowl
    On the biggest day of his career, Terrell Davis didn't let a migraine get in the way of an MVP performance as the Broncos won Super Bowl XXXII.

6. Sayers returns from devastating knee injury
    This performance helped inspire a movie -- Brian's Song -- as Gale Sayers returned from a knee injury a season later and led the league in rushing.

5. Favre plays for his father
    A day after losing his father, Irv, Brett Favre had one of the best games of his career in front of a national TV audience on Monday Night Football.

4. Smith carries team with separated shoulder
    In the 1993 regular-season finale, Emmitt Smith -- playing with a separated shoulder -- carried the Cowboys to the NFC East crown against the Giants.

3. Lott chops off his finger
    Already known as one of the game's toughest players, Ronnie Lott took his reputation to another level when he had his injured finger amputated.

2. Winslow's epic performance in Miami
    In one of the greatest games ever played, a dehydrated and exhausted Kellen Winslow embodied the spirit of the "Epic in Miami" game.

1. Youngblood plays on a broken leg
    Jack Youngblood lived up to his tough-man name, helping lead the
    Los Angeles Rams through the playoffs and on to the Super Bowl.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Top Ten Gutsiest Performances Of All-Time, Jack Youngblood No. 1

A well deserved TOP / No. 1 rating for our Ram-tough big Jack, no doubt about it!

I would also like to point out, however, that IMO, HOF Larry Wilson (STL Cardinals 1960-72) deserves a place in this list too. Tough as nails. He had that famous "missing several teeth" image (more than Lambert), and looked like an old, wiry grandad with shoulder pads; usually chewed gum which made more evident his lack of teeth but always showed football teeth! A great safety, Larry Wilson made the safety blitz a brutal specialty in the mid to late 60s.

Gutsy? 100%!!! Hard hitting, hard nosed and then some. In 1965 Wilson played "a la Jack Youngblood" when he had not only one broken hand but a broken finger in the other ... and still, in a game Vs. Steelers, with both hands wrapped in casts he managed to intercept a pass that set up a TD for the big red birds.

Jack Youngblood. Larry Wilson. Now that's tough, gutsy football.

Last edited by RealRam; -06-29-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: LWs years in NFL

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Nice find. There were a couple of awesome performances that I hadn't heard of before on the list. Maybe they included a couple of the more recent ones (I'm thinking of #10 & #8) to make the list more relevant for today's fans, because I have to believe that if you're talking *all time* gutsiest there were some more worthy performances like the one RealRam posted about that should have been on the list instead.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The list does have a few questionable entries, but they absolutely got it right with number 1.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

If anyone has seen the video, they spend about half the time bashing the selection saying "it was only a hairline fracture" and that his toughness is being overplayed. Are you kidding me? Half these sportswriters have never broken a bone let alone play football and they have the nerve to suggest that it wasn't an impressive feat? Jack Youngblood was a warrior and wouldn't downplay the severity of any injury.

And as much as I hate the whiners, that Ronnie Lott story is insane. You have to love football in order to do that to yourself.

RAMSY57 is offline Registered User

Any player that chops off a finger in any sport has to be at least #2 on this list.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

to me there is no comparision to what Youngblood did,I grew up watching him and he was my favorite player and always will be.

Keenum is offline Registered User

TONS of guts and heart to keep playing on that broken leg. Very well deserved top spot!

Even though Lott is a 9er, he's got a lot of my respect for cutting off his finger.

Those would be my top two examples of pure dedication to a team.

JamieMajik is offline Registered User

My favorite is definitely Sayers! I mean until you truly experience a knee injury can you fully understand that struggles it takes to come back. Not only are there physical obstacles you have to deal with but also psychological ones also. I remember I blew my knee out playing basketball. I had more mental issues recovering than I did physical ones just cause I was scared to injuring myself again. I cant imagine doing it the direct following year and in a high contact sport such as football. Then the man led the league in rushing! Man is phenomenal! Its reasons like this that makes the man legendary. Actually I think I heard its cause of this "gutsy" act that he was invited to represent one of the top sports icon at some poker tournament in the Bahamas. Guess all those courageous acts paid off! Great thread!!

tmoore25 is offline Registered User

I remember flying in from Hawaii and sprinting towards a taxi so we could catch the end of that Dallas/NY game in 1993! Emmitt really showed some character, combining for 229 total offensive yards when most people didn't even think he would be able to play. Gaining home field advantage was clutch that year and definitely played a factor in their Super Bowl run. I bet Emmitt will be sharing a few stories similar to that one at the sports legends challenge this fall, I hear they are devoting an entire day towards sitting down one-on-one with Emmitt and the rest of the 25 sports legends signed up.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Michael Jordan's flu game? wrong sport.

Nice list but I don't get the Terrel Davis playing with the migraine choice. He didn't actually play through the pain aside from going in for one play as a decoy for play action. He took some pills at halftime and then was fine the rest of the game. I wouldn't say it's gutsier than playing with a torn acl, broken ankle or cracked ribs.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I wached that on the NFL channel. Youngblood was a beast. One of my favorite players!

Ramer is offline Registered User

I wached that on the NFL channel. Youngblood was a beast. One of my favorite players!

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMSY57 View Post
    Any player that chops off a finger in any sport has to be at least #2 on this list.
    I agree 100%!

I would love to have seen Youngblood play. How do you play football with a broken freakin' leg?!
    :1: