throwback week

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Top WR Avery out 4 to 6 weeks with foot injury

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Have you read the thread?

Barring Klop, the tight ends are a big part of this offense. Don't worry.

Edit: for a previous post, McMichael was coached by Scott Linehan in Miami so what exactly does that explain about the sorry coaches in St. Louis compared to his production in Miami?
    This question is so simple to answer, and I'd rather avoid the biotch-fest this is turning into, so I will just not answer it :-)

I'm still trying to deal with how unproductive McMichael was in 2005 and 2006. I really can't figure out why he was unproductive in 2007, given that great offensive line we had, and the fact that we were turning him loose just about every play ...

That injury-prone, ball-dropping McMichael just started EVERY game his first six years in the league, only averaged 54 catches a season. And man, was he playing in some powerhouse offenses. I can't think of how many times somebody has told me that McMichael was "notorious" for dropping balls. They must have thrown at him 10 times a game so he could get his 3.367 catches a game ...

You guys are funny. Almost as funny as someone suggesting we should bring in Matt Jones, who is not a #1 receiver, to be a #1 receiver. WCO stands for West Coast Offense not WeIsA Crackhead Offense ...

This types of threads are trouble ....

But you guys are right, Avery is hurt, offense will suck, season over ...

See you next year!
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -08-11-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Couldn't help it!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Because our passing game is being stolen from Philadelphia for the most part, and they've never had really great receivers other than those two years with T.O.
    Except for the fact we aren't really running the Philly offense. Spags has already said multiple times that he wants to run a power running offense. That's not the WCO offense.

Except for the fact we aren't really running the Philly offense. Spags has already said multiple times that he wants to run a power running offense. That's not the WCO offense.
    Yes, because all great coaches go out in the media and tell everyone exactly what their game plan is ...

Why exactly did we bring in a WCO guy to run a non-WCO? Hmmm, think on it, just a little ....

Unless we field at top 10 defense, Bulger is putting it up over 500 times, assuming he is healthy ....

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Have you read the thread?
    Yes, which is why I said I went back through the thread for posts about tight ends.

Barring Klop, the tight ends are a big part of this offense. Don't worry.
    I don't think saying the tight ends are a big part of the offense is the same as saying the offense "focuses on the TE" or is "geared towards TEs" as you've claimed.

I guess my point is that you probably won't get proof to claims that technically weren't made in the manner in which you state they were.

But you do acknowledge the Rams are running either a West Coast offense or at the very least a West Coast variant, right?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Yea, but who really knows what the WCO is anymore anyway? It is such a bastagized term that it's become sorta ubiquitous. Walsh's WCO wasn't even the original. Got to give that one to Gillman. But I digress.

The Walsh WCO wouldn't require a power running game, but that is what Ron Turner is running up in Chicago. A version of the WCO incorporating a power running style. I doubt the Rams version is much different.

I've never been a fan of molding players to a system. I'd rather the system be molded to the strengths of the players. Hopefully, that's what we see.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

I've never been a fan of molding players to a system. I'd rather the system be molded to the strengths of the players. Hopefully, that's what we see.
    This is where Spagnuolo's defense excelled in NY and I'm hoping that he brings the same thing to both sides of the ball as our Head Coach. Basically it's making the most of the pieces you have, catering for their talents and abilities as opposed working forcibly within a particular schematic discourse.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Hmmmm, looking at McMichael's production, looked pretty steady until he came to St. Louis and had to play for the genius group of coaches he was stuck with. He had his best season in 2004, yet 2005 and 2006 were pretty similar ...

As for Fells, yes, looks compare Fells success to Kurt Warner, are you kidding? All of Fells production was in the second half of the season. I remember him dropping one ball. I also remember him catching a couple and running over a couple people. I also remember him making some crushing blocks when lined up as an HB. So, unless you were keying in on Fells the entire game, I'm really not understanding how you came up with him being a "deer in headlights" ...

Al Saunders is practically geriatric at this point. His offense is outdated, his schemes are outdated, and he'll likely never have another gig as an OC In the NFL. He did nothing to utilize the TE while he was here. They were also required to stay in and block because we had no O-line. Sure, Saunders did wonders with Tony Gonzalez in KC, but T.G. has done just fine without him. Saying that the TE's should have done a better job in Saunders system implies that you think Saunders did a good job, and the players let him down ....

Many TE's past and present have played and been very effective into their mid 30's ....

TE is WAY WAY WAY down on the list of concerns for this team ...
    R.I. if your theory is true then tell me what happen to the offense last year and the year before when McMicheal went down? Was the lack of offensive input from the TE the blame of Al Saunders or the fact that we had no TE talent behind McMicheal? I don't need alot of fluff here and no talk of the offensive line, just be real here: A. Lack of talent or B. Al Saunders?

Now R.I., I will agree with you on one thing, just say no to Matt Jones!
    Last edited by ManofGod; -08-12-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    R.I. if your theory is true then tell me what happen to the offense last year and the year before when McMicheal went down? Was the lack of offensive input from the TE the blame of Al Saunders or the fact that we had no TE talent behind McMicheal? I don't need alot of fluff here and no talk of the offensive line, just be real here: A. Lack of talent or B. Al Saunders?

Now R.I., I will agree with you on one thing, just say no to Matt Jones!
    IMO, it was Al Saunders. He couldn't adapt to the NEW NFL, nor could he adapt his offense when it became clear that he had a subpar offensive line ...

Nobodies become somebodies in the NFL each week, each month, each year. You don't need superstar TE's to make an impact. Look at Boss in NY, how about Selek in Philadelphia ...

Saunders needed to make changes. Instead of keeping the TE's in to block, he should have had them running short pass routes, quick hitting, use them to keep the pressure off. McMichael is more than capable. Klop has talent, see his rookie season. Even Walker could catch the ball when it was thrown to him ...

Point blank, Saunders runs a very outdated offense. And I place all the blame on him for last season ...

McMichael didn't go down in 2007, he played all 16 games ...

shower beers is offline Registered User

back to Donnie Avery...

I keep reading everywhere that this is a blessing in disguise because now or other receivers will have a chance at more first team reps and a chance to stand out, etc.

I think we're forgetting that Donnie Avery is no wily veteran just yet. This is just his second year. He needs those reps just as much, if not more than the others, because he is to be counted on to contribute more. They're all learning a new offense, and Avery shouldn't be excluded because he's the number one receiver. He's our number one by default, not because he's a superstar. (yet )

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You're correct, we're running the Rams offense which is stealing the power run aspect of the Giants offense and the quick passing from the Philly offense, which is fairly obvious to me because we took their QB coach to be our offensive coordinator. Plus it's been said before.

As Hub said, we're running a run heavy version of the WCO a la Chicago or Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yea, but who really knows what the WCO is anymore anyway? It is such a bastagized term that it's become sorta ubiquitous. Walsh's WCO wasn't even the original. Got to give that one to Gillman. But I digress.

The Walsh WCO wouldn't require a power running game, but that is what Ron Turner is running up in Chicago. A version of the WCO incorporating a power running style. I doubt the Rams version is much different.

I believe we will run a version of the WCO but really what does that mean? My primary point is that we don't really know how it will translate into the passing game. Multiple times I've read on here that this offense doesn't need talent at the WR position. The only explanation for this insight (and it's rarely quesitoned) is that the WCO offense doesn't need it. Really? Since when? How do we come to that conclusion?

And I agree 100% in molding a system to the players. That's why I believe Spags when he says we will run a power running game. Smith (a very superior run blocker) at RT confirms that in my opinion.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I believe we will run a version of the WCO but really what does that mean? My primary point is that we don't really know how it will translate into the passing game. Multiple times I've read on here that this offense doesn't need talent at the WR position. The only explanation for this insight (and it's rarely quesitoned) is that the WCO offense doesn't need it. Really? Since when? How do we come to that conclusion?

And I agree 100% in molding a system to the players. That's why I believe Spags when he says we will run a power running game. Smith (a very superior run blocker) at RT confirms that in my opinion.
    Yell, I think all we can do is look at what evidence we DO have and make some projections about the offense. In this case, our evidence is entirely wrapped in the history of the coaching staff. We have a (defensive minded) HC raised by Andy Reid and, for the past couple of years, Tom Coughlin. We have an OC raised by the same Andy Reid. If we look at the offenses these gentlemen have been surrounded with, the talent emphasis was not the WR. As I've stated before, the Reid Eagles have had 8 different receiving leaders in 10 years. The consistent star power of a Bruce-Holt combination is not a necessity.

We can only assume the Spags/Shurmur formula is similar.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

tough break. hopefully one or two of the young guys can step up and maybe we find a gem. wishful thinking.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I stated that the tight ends are a big part of this offense. I did so because up until that point no one mentioned anything about the ends which are recievers too, not to mention the pass catching of the backs. There are outlets besides Avery at the #1.

But really I was trying to whistle to the herd somewhat. To calm things down and maybe avoid the stampede; which enevitably happened.

Tight end play = Health care reform.
    "The horror"

I think our RBs will be our #1 receivers this year. We all know Jackson is a great receiver and Spags talks about the power running game but they will out catch our receivers and TEs combined.

That's my prediction.

(I think Philly has tried to have #1 type WRs, they have drafted them several times and they had attempts at free agent WRs that just never worked out - I think Maclin, Jackson and Curtis are the makings of a pretty awesome receiving corp)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast