Rams wide receiver Torry Holt discusses his charitable foundation, playing against his brother and his "Big Game" clothing line in an exclusive NFLPLAYERS.COM Q&A.

Luke Sacks
NFLPLAYERS.COM
07/08/2005

Talk a little bit about your Holt Family Foundation:
The Foundation is doing well. We had a bowling event down in Raleigh, North Carolina a few months ago to raise some money. Were starting on a new program that benefits children with cancer and their families. Everything is going well and we are just trying to remain consistent with it and help out as many people as we can.

Do you feel as a veteran player its part of your responsibility to encourage younger players to give something back to the community?
I just try to lead by example. If guys want to reach out to me for information, thats great and I will provide them with as many details as I can to let them know there are ways to give back. But all I can do really is worry about the foundation my brother and I have and making sure we are doing all we can to help people. We are very fortunate to be where we are so we feel its important to give back all we can. If the younger guys want to reach out or want some information then Im more than willing to do that.

How special is it having your brother playing in the NFL at the same time as you?
Its a cool experience. We both grew up in the same house doing a lot of the same things so its very special for us both to be playing in the National Football League at the same time. Terrences main sport when we were growing up was basketball. Football was something he played just to pass the time really. And now hes going to be the starting free safety for the Detroit Lions this year and Im going into my seventh season with the Rams. Its been a lot of fun. Im very proud of him and our family is very proud of us.

You and Terrence played against each other once before and will meet again this preseason. Is it strange looking across the field and seeing your brother on the opposite sideline?
It makes me tear up a little bit to see him over there. I remember when we were roommates in college and we would lie awake and talk about making it to the NFL. We were just hoping for the chance to get there. So to see him standing there in his uniform and me in my uniform, it gives me a lot of excitement running through my body.

If you came across the middle to make a catch do you think Terrence would lay a big hit on you?
I think he would. He has a job to do and I have a job to do regardless of the brotherly love we have for each other. Its his responsibility to stop wide receivers so if it does come down to that, I need to make sure I am very precise on my routes so I can avoid that big hit whether its from Terrence or anyone else.

You were part of ESPNs 2005 NFL Draft coverage team. What was that experience like for you? Do you foresee a career in broadcasting when youre done playing?
It was a great experience and I tell people that ask me about it that I have tremendous respect for the people in the media and the job they do. In talking to Ron Jaworski, Sean Salisbury, Chris Mortensen and Suzy Kolber I have tremendous respect for the preparation that they go through to get ready. It was a great experience and hopefully I keep getting more chances. And if I do well with them then hopefully I will have the opportunity to do some media work when I am done playing. I prepared for the broadcast by breaking down some tape, going through the bios and learning as much as I could about the guys who were going to be drafted. I did as much homework and studying as I could so I would be ready. A career in broadcasting is something I might be interested in down the road. Its something I would consider if the opportunity is there. I know the sport of football, Ive been playing for a while, and Im very comfortable talking about football and relaying it to the audience. So Im just going to keep working and practicing and keep learning the ins and outs of what I can do to get better.

How do you think the Rams did in this years NFL Draft?
I think we did a really good job. We addressed our needs and got some good players. Its just a matter of how it will carry over once training camp starts as to what kind of impact those guys will have. But overall we got some good guys and filled some needs. Now we just need things to carry over and have a positive impact on our football team once camp starts.

You run your own clothing line called Big Game. How is it going for you?
Were going to revamp the line of t-shirts and the rest of the stuff and be ready for the fall when the season starts. Its going good, all of the shirts we had before completely sold out. Were going to go back and redo some things and put some new things out there and hopefully they will do well also.

You have your own web site www.torryholt.com and you use it to interact with your fans. Have you embraced the new technology available today?
My web site is very fan-friendly and kid-friendly. You can read about what it is that my brother and I are doing in the community. I have a store there where people can buy my Big Game apparel. It also has the latest stats and pictures. Its been cool because its a great way for me to communicate with my fans and let them know what Im doing on and off the football field.

It seems like you always have a lot going on do you feel more content where you are busy?
I do. I like staying busy. Its fun to get out and do new things and meet new people. I like to interact with people and help out whenever I can. I try to keep my plate pretty full and its been that way ever since I came into the league. I am going to try to keep it that way because once football is all said and done, I want to move into the next phase of my life and be able to do many different things.