Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Torry Holts future

January 06, 2009

Season report card: Torry Holt's stock falls as Donnie Avery's rises

Receivers

Torry Holt had his streak of eight straight seasons with 1,100 or more receiving yards snapped as he had 64 catches for 796 yards and three touchdowns this season.

Holt is getting older (heíll be 33 before the start of next season), but itís hard to know if the decline in his numbers is more of a reflection on his age or the Ramsí offensive struggles as a whole.

Rookie Donnie Avery showed heís capable of providing the big-play element that the Rams sorely need as he had 53 catches for 673 yards and three touchdowns.

Both Avery and fellow rookie Keenan Burton had their progress slowed by injuries. Burton remains somewhat of an unknown commodity after catching only 13 passes for 172 yards this season.

A broken foot put Drew Bennett on the shelf for 15 games. Bennett has caught 34 passes in two years for the Rams, making the six-year, $30 million contract that he signed in 2007 look like one of the worst decisions of the Scott Linehan era.

The 2008 season was quite an odyssey for Dane Looker, who had to deal with a nerve-racking couple of weeks after a spot was found on his brain during a routine CT scan following a concussion.

Doctors decided that it wasnít an aneurysm, and Looker resumed playing. He ended up catching 23 passes for 271 yards and two touchdowns.

The loss of tight end Randy McMichael to a broken leg in Week 4 was devastating for the Ramsí offense. McMichael was the Ramsí top threat over the middle, and with him gone, opponents were able to double Holt and Avery on the outside without fear of getting burned over the middle.

Anthony Becht had a bigger impact as a blocker than a receiver, while Joe Klofenstein had little impact as either.

Daniel Fells has intriguing tools. He caught about a million passes in practice, but only seven in actual games after being signed off Tampa Bayís practice squad on Oct. 6.

Holt openly worried about being fazed out by the Rams this season, and his $10.2 million cap number for next seasonó if the Rams release or trade him, the salary cap hit would be only $2.2 million ó means that he might not be back unless heís willing to restructure his contract.

This is one of those random rumours. Don't take it too seriously. I have to agree there is some sense to this article. We won't really know for sure Holts status until the Head coach and his staff are in place. We are in bad cap shape and a net loss of 8 million off the cap makes sense

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Torry Holts future

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    January 06, 2009

[FONT=FBUnionText]Daniel Fells has intriguing tools. He caught about a million passes in practice, but only seven in actual games
    well fair play..if he caught a million passes in practice im surprised he could even lift his arms enough to catch seven in actual games!

i cant see Holt coming back...if i was him id be thinking..."hmmm i restructure this year,they cut me the next like they did to Ike".

Keenum is offline Registered User

I would like to keep Holt around, I think he still has something to bring to the table, but does he want to be back?
    I know he said things would be up in the air after his contract was up, is that next year?

keith m. klink Guest

Depending on the head coach we get , i don't see him taking that kind of a cut that would make the RAMS feel that they can keep him . i would love him back(not at 10.2mthough ) .

Isee him asking to be traded to caralina or asking to be released to join them . that was kinda something from a while back when he said he wouldn't mind finishing his career there with his brother , ( but i think his brother got cut , ) so who knows .

im sure Torrys brother Terrence got cut..but im also sure Torry knows deep down that his bro aint that good and football is a business, i think the draw of playing and living in the same state that he went to Uni is what makes him like the thought of playing for the Panthers...oh and the fact that they may very well be SB champions in the next few weeks cant hurt.

i could see him goin` to a few other teams too..i just cant see him taking a pay cut or the Rams paying him 10mill for what he has left in the tank..if we were way under the salary cap maybe,but we arent and need the money spent wisely and spread out with all the needs we have at other positions.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Hmm... Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhhammad AND Torry Holt? Ouch.

I would like to see Holt back next year, mainly because we would have no veteran receiver on our roster. Avery and Burton are still developing, Stanley too. We need a guy that has already shown what he can do. I know Holt is slowing down, but he is still a great catcher. He won't be burning anyone any time soon, but his hands are still great for catching.

If we draft another receiver in this year's draft, than we might reconsider not bringing back Holt.

born Guest

I Don't want Torry to go but , Trade him for a Third Or Fourth, Please Draft Hakeem Nix or Kenny Britt !!!! P.S. Drop Drew bennett soon as possible!!!!

Mooselini Guest

I don't want to see him go next season at all. We need his veteran skills on the field. Obviously if teams were still double teaming him, opposing coaches fear that he still has skills.

If he doesn't want to be back, thats a different story.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i think that getting a draft pick and getting our cap down will be much better for the team as a whole than keep holt.
    i really love torry but it seems his heart isnt here anymore either, so thanks for the great years, good luck in the future, see ya later.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I would like to see Holt back next year, mainly because we would have no veteran receiver on our roster. Avery and Burton are still developing, Stanley too. We need a guy that has already shown what he can do. I know Holt is slowing down, but he is still a great catcher. He won't be burning anyone any time soon, but his hands are still great for catching.
    My sentiments exactly. The key in my mind is if Holt's heart is still in it. We need him to show positive leadership for the young guys. Also with McMichael returning Holt's number should improve for 2009 significantly.

richtree is offline Registered User

Cut him draft Kenny Britt and lets build for the future

richtree is offline Registered User

plus this gives us money to get a legit LB in free agency

and we can cut Chavous and get another free agent that can solidify our team

then next year bulger is gone and we get a new QB

like a Mark Sanchez

heck if we let Bruce go so quick , why not Holt now

we must be the best 2 win team in history

with a new coach, gm, and still having new ownership next year should be a building year and then the following year is going to be a huge step forward ...

we need free agents !!!!!!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

There are a couple of places i could see him going Tennessee, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Miami, Jacksonville and Oakland is always a wild card. Considering Holt will want to win another championship and we will want him to be in the AFC I wouldn't be surprised if Holt is in Miami or Tennessee next year.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    My sentiments exactly. The key in my mind is if Holt's heart is still in it. We need him to show positive leadership for the young guys. Also with McMichael returning Holt's number should improve for 2009 significantly.
    True. Once we get more targets for Bulger, coverage on Holt will be way less. Then Holt will provide another ket target for Bulger. I can't wait for Randy to come back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast