39thebeast is offline Registered User

Torry, Torry, Torry What are We going to do With You

Alot of people have been talking about releasing holt, but after we realese Holt what then. Do we start Drew Bennett and Avery hoping someone steps up whether it is Burton or Bennett. Do we draft Crabtree. Do we try and sign a FA. Best case scenario IMO is trying to get Holt to restructure and let the teen sqaud develop under him. Whether Holt is willing to restructure time will only tell.

What do you guys think?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Torry, Torry, Torry What are We going to do With You

I love Torry Holt. He's been an unbelievable player for the Rams- one who has spoiled us fans with his productivity over the years. With that said, I don't see Torry Holt in a Ram uniform next season. We all know how keeping him at his current salary is not fiscally smart, given his age and sub-par season last year. We also have heard stories of his displeasure with circumstances involving his use in the offense. With Spagnuolo's commitment to the running game, and the emergence of Donnie Avery, Holt's numbers figure to decrease even more.

By no means do I think he's finished; I think Torry can play another three or four years as a servicable player, but the days of his 1300-1400 yards in receiving are over. I don't see him drastically restructuring his deal. Only an honest conversation with Steve Spagnuolo in which Torry is promised to be a continued featured player in the Rams offense would keep him here. Don't count on it happening.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

A lot of Holts future will be desided on what Terry wants too. If he doesn't restructure his contract, its likely there will be no Holt on the flanks in 2009.

But a lot will depend on if he is needed with the changes that are sure to follow. Holts numbers have dropped off mostly do to irratic line play, poor game planning, and bad schemes. My guess is he is wanted and there will be negotiations to keep him on at least one more year. He serves the purpose Pex in NY played--a deep threat

Honestly, I would be surprised if we know his future anytime before June

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    A lot of Holts future will be desided on what Terry wants too. If he doesn't restructure his contract, its likely there will be no Holt on the flanks in 2009.

But a lot will depend on if he is needed with the changes that are sure to follow. Holts numbers have dropped off mostly do to irratic line play, poor game planning, and bad schemes. My guess is he is wanted and there will be negotiations to keep him on at least one more year. He serves the purpose Pex in NY played--a deep threat

Honestly, I would be surprised if we know his future anytime before June
    Donnie Avery is a deep threat, Holt and his bad knees definately aren't at this stage of his career.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

This is a tough one. We really don't have a number #1 receiver if Holt leaves. We would have:

Avery
    Burton
    Bennett
    Stanley
    Looker

That doesn't sound all too great. But if our o-line is improved by the draft and the FA, Bulger would have more time to throw, which could mean in more accurate passes to the young receivers.

Plus, Avery, Burton and Stanley should be progressing this off-season and increasing their knowledge and technique about route running, reads, etc.

Bennett did well as a receiver in Tennessee. The only problem is, is that he left his talent back at Tennessee. He's not a bad receiver. IMO, (not counting his seasons with the Rams) Bennett is the most all around, solid receiver we have on this team, besides Holt. I didn't like how we cut Curtis and Bruce to get this guy, but I don't think this guy is a total bust. If he can come back in 2009 and not have any injuries, I think this guy could actually play pretty decently.

When he was with the Titans, he would use his size to jump up and grab high balls. I haven't seen him do much of that with his time with the Rams. Is he getting more timid or scared? Is he afraid to get hit now? No one knows, but maybe Spags can give Bennett's toughness back with good coaching, and good conditioning.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I love Torry as much as the next guy, but after last years lack of production, the only way I see him still playing for the rams if he restructures. He could not separate from defenders and he just didn't seem to be playing with passion. That being said I'm sure he will go to some other team and return to his old form and score a couple touchdowns against us

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Getting rid of Holt is a bad idea for that very reason. We will no longer have a number one receiver. We could only hope that Avery steps into that role, but it doesn't look like we would have a number two in that option.

I think keeping Holt, trying to let him reconstruct and get another season out of him is what we need. This way, NEXT year we could look for a replacement. Not this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Alot of people have been talking about releasing holt, but after we realese Holt what then. Do we start Drew Bennett and Avery hoping someone steps up whether it is Burton or Bennett. Do we draft Crabtree. Do we try and sign a FA. Best case scenario IMO is trying to get Holt to restructure and let the teen sqaud develop under him. Whether Holt is willing to restructure time will only tell.

What do you guys think?
    I love Torry, one of the few true role models we have left in the NFL. Top 5 fav all time Ram and there is nothing I would want more then to see him retire a ram. No way should we release him, he already told my boy Marshall on NFL network he wants to retire after 09 season, so keep him one more year to help develop the youngsters. Otherwise my feelings are he would sign with a division rival like the whiners and him and bruce will be tearing us up twice next season..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Getting rid of Holt is a bad idea for that very reason. We will no longer have a number one receiver. We could only hope that Avery steps into that role, but it doesn't look like we would have a number two in that option.

I think keeping Holt, trying to let him reconstruct and get another season out of him is what we need. This way, NEXT year we could look for a replacement. Not this year.
    There is no way we pay Torry anywhere close to what his contract calls for this year. I believe Torry truly wants out, and his contract numbers give him the leverage to leave. All he has to do is stand pat, and we'll have to let him go. It is true his absence will create a void in terms of a #1 receiver, but who knows what free agency might bring? There is the chance we could go receiver at #2 overall as well .. Torry knows that if he were to restructure, he in all probability would be playing only one more year for us. One never knows for sure, but my money is on Torry leaving. We have to start rebuilding now, and there will be growing pains .. The sky won't fall if Torry leaves ...
    Last edited by MauiRam; -02-02-2009 at 01:41 PM.

GSOT is almost over and the rebuilding has begun, we have gotten rid of at least one player from the GSOT every year. I think it is Torry's time since Little only has a year left and Pace is still really needed and is more likely to restructure.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

When the rams went 3-13 Holt was the ONLY player that stood out for the whole team..had the rams kept Bruce and traded Holt, this thread would've been, "BRUCE, BRUCE BRUCE, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WiTH YOU"...We need to keep Holt, he's still very skillful and talented, lets keep him 'til his wheels fall off, not like the other mistake the team let go.....

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    When the rams went 3-13 Holt was the ONLY player that stood out for the whole team..had the rams kept Bruce and traded Holt, this thread would've been, "BRUCE, BRUCE BRUCE, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WiTH YOU"...We need to keep Holt, he's still very skillful and talented, lets keep him 'til his wheels fall off, not like the other mistake the team let go.....
    I couldn't disagree more about keeping Holt unless he were willing to accept a big pay cut. The whole thing with Bruce would have blown over just fine if we had acquired an adequate replacement. As it turned out, Bennett personified buyer's remorse. Holt and Bruce had each lost a step or more when we decided to replace Isaac with Bennett. Opposing defenses knew they didn't have to worry about being beaten deep and played us accordingly. If Torry wants to finish his career as a Ram, it could probably happen, but all indications so far appear to indicate otherwise. As things stand now, we do not have alot of cap room, and we'll have to make some changes. With the front office and coaching turnover finally completed, there should be alot of new faces on the 2009 roster. Yes Torry is still a great possession receiver. but he's not going to get better or faster. I believe the Rams and Torry will mutually agree to part ways ...
    Last edited by MauiRam; -02-02-2009 at 11:56 PM.

Ghost of Jim Everett is offline Registered User

Maybe we'll get lucky and land a starting receiver in the later rounds of the draft.