Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tory Holt- A lousy draft pick?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Tory Holt- A lousy draft pick?

I thought it might be nice to post something that takes the debate away from the unmitigated travesty of a sham of a mockery of a debacle that has become the 2011 Rams season.

I thought at the time, and i think now, that the Holt pick was awful. The Rams passed on Champ Bailey to take Holt. This is not intended as a knock on Holt, who had a great Rams career, but the Rams were already loaded at receiver at the time and the stop corner (and Bailey was certainly a phenomenal prospect coming out of school) was a greater need for the Rams. Bailey is still going strong and Holt is long gone (and in my view, was extremely successful early in his career in material part because of Ike's prowess on the other side).

I appreciate that this is a controversial topic, but i thought it might be fun. Besides, as a HUGE Isaac Bruce fan, i can never get over the ball that "Big Game" failed to catch against Carolina in the playoff game. Ike makes that grab.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Brain Daddy likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Tory Holt- A lousy draft pick?

Receivers have shorter careers than corners. (In general) Holt came in and provided a solid tandem with Ike. The object was get to the Superbowl and we got there twice and won once. Holt was a big part of that. Who is to say Selecting Bailey wouldn't have ended in injury, we just don't know that being with how hard we have been being by injury bug. What of, could of, should of is moot point we have the hardware. Who knows IF Vermeil would have stayed we would have won multiple SBs.

On the other hand if he would have been stud shutdown corner with us and the bone head front office decisions we traded him we would still be on the same boat minus a Lombardi.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i can never get over the ball that "Big Game" failed to catch against Carolina in the playoff game. Ike makes that grab.
    How can anything hurt anymore since debacle of seasons.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Interesting question. I have a hard time picking between two hall of famers (and yes I think Holt is one). I don't think I need to quote Holt's numbers and how consistent he was to anyone on this board. But think about it this way: We have Lloyd already who most feel is a pretty solid WR. Should we draft the top CB in this coming draft since its a huge need? You can always throw away from a CB. But adding another dynamic WR to mix keeps teams from loading up on one guy and taking him out of the game. I think that effect on the game is why Holt was a better pick than Champ at the time.

DE_Ramsfan, that is outstanding reasoning. I think that is a great way to look at it. In terms of looking at the current Rams, I would take the receiver because i think we are very solid at corner, assuming bartell, murphy and fletcher are all healthy. We have personnel in that area while we are much weaker at receiver.

In terms of looking at 1999, the difference between champ bailey and our other corner (other than todd lyght) was a huge difference, bigger i think than the difference at the time between holt and az hakim. The rams had just so many weapons, while holt was certainly a big part, i think many other receivers could have been a big part as well and bailey was close to a once in a generation guy.

There is no question that hindsight is 20-20 and there was no way to know at the time who was going to stay healthy. I will say that while you can throw away from a corner, if you do so game after game, you make it an awful lot easier to defend the rest of the field and you are usually taking a top offensive weapon out of a game.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No way. Take Holt off that team and put on Champ, and we never win a superbowl. The tandem of Reverand Ike and Big Game was absolutely deadly. DEADLY.

Just look at what Lloyd did yesterday. Nothing. Teams can triple Rev. Ike and then the opposite side which would have been Proehl wouldn't even compete with Holt.
    LA Rammer likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Plus, at that time...Corner Backs weren't as important as they are today. The league was running back dominated and just starting to change styles.

7 of first 8 picks were offensive and 11 of first 14 were offensive., most skill.

ALSO OUR 2ND ROUND PICK WAS DRE BLY -- BLY AND HOLT OR CHAMP AND PEERLESS PRICE ? ? ?

WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER...PRICESS WAS BEST AVAILABLE WR AT DRE BLY'S DRAFT SLOT

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I think the moral of the story here is that the draft is a crapshoot. You make what you feel is the proper pick for your club based on observations and by throroughly vetting the candidate. You then hope it works out. Most of us have absolutely no idea about these guys other than what we see watching college football or what we read in a draft fantasy guide. I know I certainly didn't watch N.C. State on a regular basis to form an opinion on whether or not Torry Holt was the right pick for us. Some teams pick based on need while others believe in the "best guy available regardless of position" theory. It seems in this case, the selection worked out for both Holt and Bailey and their respective teams.

In terms of this debate, i think some people are undervaluing az hakim, in addition to forgetting that we could have potentially signed another wide receiver, we didnt have to take one in the draft. I dont think the correct analysis is that if we didnt have holt, it would only be Ike and Proehl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

While I appreciate the effort, I have to say.... WHA-WHA-WHAT!?!?!?!

First of all, Holt was too good to be a mistake, regardless of who the Rams could have had.

Second, the Rams' had a Pro Bowl CB in 1999 (Todd Lyght) without drafting Champ Bailey.

Third, Az Hakim was a great slot receiver, but he could not have replaced Holt.

Fourth, the "drop" against Carolina was not exactly an easy catch.

Fifth, Holt - 2 Super Bowls; Bailey - 0 Super Bowls.

Seriously, this one is not a tough call. In fact, if anything, this solidifies my belief that a player like Justin Blackmon should be taken above a guy like Morris Claiborne.

Rambos is offline Registered User

yeah what AV just said and it's hard to call any HOF player a A lousy draft pick... It's like calling a second year blue chip QB will all the skill sets a bust...
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.

mh-i is offline Registered User

They drafted Holt and won a Super Bowl the same year with Holt plaing a decent sized role. That's enough for me.

PS Todd Lyght wasn't that good. Never quite lived up to how high a pick he was.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I thought this was a joke when I read the title.

But the fact that you want us to have fun with the topic tells me that you know your statement is ridiculous.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Yea im going to have to say no way was holt a bad pick.He was a huge part of the GSOT and you take him away we wouldnt of been what we were.Its easy to say now that Champ might have been better because he is still playing and at a high level i might add.But reality is Holt was so pivotal for us having a SB ring first off and 2nd 1 of the most potent offenses in NFL history.Like said before you can throw away from a corner and the other players can still beat you.But a elite WR must be addressed and if he isnt guarded he gets his or if he is clamped on it frees up the rest of the team.Blackmon will be our Holt if we draft him and resign Lloyd thats how i see it.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

You know there are certain draft picks i look back on now and think "what if we did this instead?"
    Such as picking Adam Carriker one pick before Darrelle Revis, or the 2006 debacle

But I would never question taking Torry Holt over Champ Bailey. With how much of a lottery the draft is, we can't second guess when we get hall of fame quality production from a draft pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast