Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By OldSchoolRamFan

Thread: Toughest thing about the Rams season for me- dealing with my young kids

general counsel is offline Registered User

Toughest thing about the Rams season for me- dealing with my young kids

Like most everyone on the board, i am suffering and in great pain over the rams season. We have been lousy for a while now, but this year is different because most of us had reasonably high expectations, especially given our perception that the nfc west was going to be very weak and that 8-8 was probably going to be enough to win the division. I don't believe that anyone believed that the niners would be 9-2 at this point, including the whiners themselves. In fact, i think that if you asked 100 whiners fans at the start of the season whether you think they are more likely to be 9-2 or 2-9 after 11 games, i bet that about 95% would have said 2-9.

I have been a die hard rams fan for over 44 years. I have not missed a game since direct tv started with NFL ticket. For the last several years, i have watched every game with my daughters, who are now 7 and 10. I would match their football knowledge against any kid their age in the world, boy or girl. In fact, my 7 year old is highly accomplished at down and distance at an adult level simply by watching each play.

As an adult who has lived through a lot more down than up with the rams, i understand what is going on. However, it is really really hard on my girls. They simply dont have the background to understand the good and the bad with being a fan, since they have really only seen bad. They get so excited when we win, and they cry when we lose, especially when we lose a close game (the overtime debacle in arizona made it a very rough night in my house). It really is amazing to watch my little girl screaming at the TV "Kick it out of bounds you moron, why are you kicking to peterson again" or the older one yelling on third down "Watch out for Fitz." I have done everything possible to instill the rams mania in them at the youngest possible age, and both of them pad up for each game in full uniforms (one dresses as isaac bruce and the other as steven jackson). They participate fully in my 90 minute pre game ritual. But its really hard to make all this work when we lose almost every week over a three year period. Also, their friends in school make fun of them for being rams fans (we live in atlanta, its falcons and university of georgia country).

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issues with their kids. How do you explain when we are going to get better to little kids? I answer them honestly, and they get a lot of it, are aware that spags is almost gone for sure, but any suggestions would be welcomed. Funny story, when it was obvious that linehan was going to get canned, i told my daughter that we would be better soon because the rams were going to fire coach linehan. I thought she understood, but she apparantly went to my wife and cried (she was roughly 6 at the time) because she said that she understood why linehan wasnt going to be the coach anymore, but thought the rams were really mean for "putting him on fire."

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Toughest thing about the Rams season for me- dealing with my young kids

Wow! What a great, heart wrenching post GC. It almost made ME cry. If you've got it, show your daughters SB 34, and let them know dreams sometimes do come true.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

If you can, show them a game from 1998. Then show them the Super Bowl win.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Gc let your daughters know that they are not alone. We all cry in one way or another when our boys lose.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Awesome post GC really thanks for sharing, sounds like you are going to have a lifetime of Rams football in the family. I was thinking the the same as mike go back and show some highlights of better days. I would remind them there are 32 teams and some teams have never been to a SB we have been three times and have many HOF players and more going in soon. There are some good times coming up as we watch Warner, Bruce and Holt go in!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Well, you're doing a lot better than me, GC. Every sunday my 16 yr old daughter asks me how much the Rams lost by (&*^% lousy teenagers) and after I tearfully tell her she then has the temerity to ask why I continue to cheer for such an epic loser...

I try to explain the Rams are at this point really more of an addiction; I tell her that I've been a fan since I was 10 years old and that the Blue and Gold are inextricably linked to my DNA. Of course, this is all to no avail as she *rather snottily I might add* tells me that it is time to move on and try to get a life or something to that affect.

I, of course, tell her maybe it's time for HER to move on..and, sigh...as usual, her mother over hears my words of wit and this starts yet another "Family Discussion." As a result I have recently been resigned to just watching the Rams in a darkened room with the lights off (better so no one can detect my weeping) and keep my pain and suffering to myself...You see I had to make a deal with the wife that I would no longer let the outcome of Rams games ruin our "Family Time". So I have mastered the art of *s-m-i-l-i-n-g thru gritted teeth* and put on my best "all is well" face that I can muster.

At any rate enough about my personal h*ll. I have a few suggestions for your cute little Rams fans:
    1.) Tell them to always remember that the Rams have the best *coolest* looking helmets and logo in the league. We may be losing right now but we look much better doing it than the other teams.

2.) The Falcons wear all black uniforms because they are evil.This is a known fact and just look at that ugly bulldog for UGA. The Rams have a "nicer" animal as team mascot because we are good and muxh better than the wicked Fal-dogs whatever.

3.) For more proof consider that although Mr. Linehan did richly deserved to be set on fire and burned in screaching agony, the fact that the Rams just let him leave rather painlessly and without malice, shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are "Nicer" than what the hateful Falcons/bulldogs would have done who probably would have mauled him and then picked his bones clean. Once again tell your girls they can be proud that they are the fans of a more noble team than those of the dark side.

4.) And as r8rh8r Mike said above, tell them that dreams do come true...even for Rams fans.

That's about all I have for now...Hope this helps...

WHAT SAY YE?

macrammer is offline Registered User

GC,

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I can only offer this to you from my own parental experience:

My son is now 21. He has to grwon up with Rams and we live in heart of Whiner world. He watched the debacle od the 94-98 thinkng Rams always lose, how come? I explained that there was a great history of Ram tradition of winning and it would come back soon. His friend all thought he was crazy when he wore his Ram Jersey to school in a sea of Red Whiner colors.

Then, Trent Green and Rodney Harrison met in a preseason game and GSOT was born. How glorious that was and he no longer heard any static other then "wow, those guy's are too good."

Now, here we are......But, my son can handle himself in just about any situation and I attribute some of that to his Ram followings and not letting others get to him about this belief. He knows they will get better and that until then, he has learned not to let every loss weigh him down. He has helped me in this regard as well and we just enjoy watching game together as we clap and grimace almost at the same time.

Hang in there and good job on the young Ram fans

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

What a frustrating situation this must be for you. All I can say is, it will feel that much better, when the Rams finally do turn this thing around. ? Kids are not known for their patience, so I imagine your worried about the kids losing their interest. Especially after putting so much good ground work in, to get them on board.
    After reading a thread like this one, I felt a little angry to be honest. I just feel like the franchise is again, selling the fans short.?

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I totally get where you are coming from...this was 14 years ago...
    Toughest thing about the Rams season for me- dealing with my young kids-old-stuff-008.jpg

My now 14 year old daughter still watches every Rams game with me and it is very disappointing when I hear her say, "man, that was STUPID." BUT she still hangs in there and through it all I just got her "updated" Christmas list on Monday which included on it... "Laurinaitis Jersey with stitched numbers." The fact that she is still on board makes me very proud and the fact that she actually looked up how to spell his name correctly impressed me. I'm convinced that she will be in there for the long haul now that she survived the release of OJ Atogwe...
    Toughest thing about the Rams season for me- dealing with my young kids-morgayn_oj.jpg
    Rambos likes this.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Guys, thanks for all your terrific responses. Old School Rams fan, that is a fantastic picture!

I have watched hours of old highlights, season dvd highlights, playoff games, super bowls (except 36 which i refuse to ever watch again) and other rams related dvd and vcr tapes with the girls and they love it.

I guess i just have to keep plugging away, remember that we were awful in the year before we won the super bowl and pray that we are a winner before they hit those boy crazy teenage years. A trip to st louis next season to see a game in person should help a bit as well.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel