Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Trade ALERT: Rams trade Orien Harris for WR Ronald Curry

The Rams have added some much-needed experience _ and size _ to their wide receiver corps. League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday that the team has acquired WR Ronald Curry from the Detroit Lions in a trade for defensive tackle Orien Harris.

Harris’ tenure with the Rams was a short one _ he was acquired from Cincinnati on May 7 in a trade for running back Brian Leonard.

Curry, 30, is 6-2, 210. He caught 19 passes for 191 yards and two TDs last season with Oakland. The Raiders released him in February, and he was signed as a street free agent by the Lions in April.

A seventh-round draft pick by the Raiders out of North Carolina, Curry had spent his previous seven seasons with Oakland. There, he had three seasons of 50-plus catches, including a career-best 62 receptions for a career-high 727 yards in 2006.

RamsFan16

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Re: Trade ALERT: Rams trade Orien Harris for WR Ronald Curry

So, essentially we've turned Leonard into Curry? Not bad. We had a platoon at RB and Leonard was one of the carry overs who never really did anything to assume he had a spot on opening day. Even though I think he will turn his career around, I like this move. And this should show you just how bad Harris is. First of all, the Steelers, a first class organization, got rid of him quickly and he's bounced around everywhere. He couldn't even make it to training camp with us. What does this say about our depth at DT though? We're in trouble in that respect. Something tells me we're going to wait until final cuts are made and if there is a big name or contributor who somehow gets let go, we'll jump on him. I like the move for Curry though.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Ive always been a big Curry fan. I dont know why, I just have. Hes easily the number 3 wide out on our depth chart, and i see him starting opposite to Avery when the season rolls around.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Haven't followed his career too closely so naturally the first thing I did was check out some highlights of him on You Tube. The first play he out jumped Darren Sharper and Antoine Winfield for a deep bomb... that was enough for me! Welcome to the Rams Mr. Curry

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He adds some much needed experience and pretty good size. I don't know the situation he was probably injured, but only 19 receptions in 10 starts is disturbing, but then again any offensive position in oakland besides RBs is scarry.

1. Avery
    2. Burton
    3. Curry
    4. Robinson
    5. Stanley
    6. Foster
    DT depth right now is terrible only Dorrell Scott and Carriker really hasn't been an iron man, we are definately going to have to take a long look at the training camps waiver wire. The Giants seem to have a glut of DTs and I wouldn't mind making a move for a guy like Jay Alford, Barry Cofield, or Fred Robbins.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm not that thrilled with this trade. DT is a more valuable position to me and in my opinion harder to come by. Who says we couldn't have picked up another receiver of this caliber in the next round of cuts and kept Harris?
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -07-22-2009 at 03:58 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Curry can play WR. I have always liked him when he was with the Raiders

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I'm not that thrilled with this trade. DT is a more valuable position to me and in my opinion harder to come by. Who says we couldn't have picked up another receiver of this caliber in the next round of cuts and kept Harris?
    On the face of it, it appears we traded Brian Leonard for a ham sandwich. I agree that DT is ostensibly a higher priority than receiver at this point. However, there likely were extenuating circumstances at play here that we aren't party to. So far, I'm happy with the overall personnel moves our new FO and coaching staff have made. Eventually we'll probably hear more on this trade from J.T. or Jeff Gordon ..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    DT depth right now is terrible only Dorrell Scott and Carriker really hasn't been an iron man, we are definately going to have to take a long look at the training camps waiver wire. The Giants seem to have a glut of DTs and I wouldn't mind making a move for a guy like Jay Alford, Barry Cofield, or Fred Robbins.
    You forgot Cliff Ryan. Also, in Spags' system, don't be surprised to see James Hall or Victor Adeyanju lined up on the inside on some passing downs.

As for Curry, I'll file it under "things that make me go meh."

I, for one, hope that guys like Curry and Carter end up being afterthoughts. The best thing for the Rams would be to have one or two of the younger guys (Robinson, Burton, Foster) emerge as a quality starting WR opposite Avery.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Neither one of these guys "amaze me." Curry won't be a third option. Raider fans are happy he is gone and wish him the worst with the Lions. (Now us) He has a tendency to drop passes in clutch situations.

I do see however flashes of brilliance, but that's all flashes. Unless he was bitten by the sucky raider bug and now he's ready to play as "the best hidden secret" I'm not investing much emotion into his stock.

Hope I'm proved wrong. Should have kept the DT or got rid of them to make room for at least one mediocre name.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    So, essentially we've turned Leonard into Curry?
    Nope, I'd say we cut Leonard and signed a street free agent. Effectively the Lions picked him up off the junk pile and traded him. How silly does that make the Rams?

Since I wasn't a Harris fan it doesn't bother me but Leonard was worth more than street junk. I realize it's about cutting bad cap space but Leonard wasn't THAT horrible.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Hard to comment and almost impossible to criticize Spags. Unlike the last few years i find myself saying "The head coach knows best." a lot more and more importantly, meaning it. Especially when it comes to trading players this deep on the depth chart.

Spags is inspiring confidence. Thats fun.

maineram is offline Registered User

OK, maybe this was, " we do need to bring in a veteran wideout at least for camp". I, like a few before me, think we need more depth at DL than we do a WR. I won't second guess this staff. There are sure to be more moves in the future to shape this team, offense & defense !!!!

Go Devaney, GoSpags, Go Rams !!!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Who's to say that Harris won't be available after the rounds of cuts. It's not like he hasn't been cut before...

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Very solid trade for the Rams. We gain something POTENTIALLY valuable and give up NOTHING ...

There is a reason why Orlen Harris has bounced around the league like he has. Yet, some on this board seem to think he was some kind of commoddity? A major project at best who has done nothing in this league ...

Curry was an effective slot receiver for a few years in the league. He has been plagued by injuries recently. Big receiver, athletic, YAV potential. Seems like a decent filler player for now. He may not even make the roster come opening day, but he'll be a more than solid camp body who will push the younger guys to perform just a little bit better to earn their spot on the field ...

To imply, even in the slightest, that Orlen Harris was a significant, or even minor, loss is asinine. They guy wasn't even a blip on my radar when I think about potential opening day rosters ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast