Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Trade ALERT: Rams trade Orien Harris for WR Ronald Curry

It's kind of depressing essentially wasting a 2nd round pick for a guy you could have picked up off the street (Leonard for Curry) - if you choose to look at it that way.

If you look at it as Harris for Curry and forget about Leonard altogether I can understand the trade, while I don't think Curry will have a massive impact he is worth more to us than Harris was IMO.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The move tells me that we werent in love with Harris and that we felt we had a greater need at receiver. I would rather see the young guys play, not sure in the real upside on a 30 year old guy for the rams, but at the same time, if the coaches didnt think much of harris, so be it. It sure tells you that we didnt value brian leonard much if at all when he was traded, but i think that much was already obvious.

Depth is important, but spags and the coaches are in the best position to evaluate the relative talent, not the people on this board, especially when it comes to the bottom part of the roster.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

I love Curry!!! especially when you add lots of garlic and onions, cut up some nice and tender Cardinal, and Seahawk, the flavor just settles so nicely.Never tried it with a *****, though but i bet it would be just as good...mm mm gooood, I love that Curry.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Dunno what to think about this except that a bigger, stronger, more proven option in the slot while Foster learns the ropes seems like a good idea.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this Curry turns out to be the one we needed?

Buying into the Leonard trade is still a leap of faith for me but Orien Harris seemed like a waste of steak in the TC cafeteria, in any case.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Well unlike most of you guys I've been following Curry since he was a 2 sport star in high school before doing the same (as QB and PG) at the University of North Carolina. He is a solid WR, but the issue with him has been injuries. Don't be suprised if you see him starting along side Avery but if his past holds true to form then he may be cut before the start of the season; hopefully his body will hold up & if it does this could be a steal.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You forgot Cliff Ryan. Also, in Spags' system, don't be surprised to see James Hall or Victor Adeyanju lined up on the inside on some passing downs.

As for Curry, I'll file it under "things that make me go meh."

I, for one, hope that guys like Curry and Carter end up being afterthoughts. The best thing for the Rams would be to have one or two of the younger guys (Robinson, Burton, Foster) emerge as a quality starting WR opposite Avery.
    I didn't forget him I was counting Ryan more as a starter rather than depth. I mentioned Carriker because he has banged up his first 2 seasons. Scott really is our only depth and he is an unproven rookie. Harris wasn't much in the first place, but I doubt we are going into the season with 3 guys even with Hall and Adeyanju who can play on the inside. If you look at the giants they have Robbins, Canty, Cofeild, Alford,and Bernard 5 proven guys along with versatile DEs, granted that took time to build, but 2 proven guys isn't really cutting it here. We aren't a deep team in general, but IMO DT is our thinnest position

39thebeast is offline Registered User

On Curry is no more than a slot guy, it says something after the freaking LIONS picked him up and then proceeded to get 2 other slot guys in the draft through Derrick Williams and trading for Dennis Northcutt. On another note this is a new system that is a better fit for him. The bottom line is Burton, Robinson, or any other young guy is still going to have to step up as a guy on the outside opposite Avery, while Curry handles the slot for now.... maybe.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The only Curry that would really get me going is the one called Aaron.

The 'roundabout' Leonard-for-Curry switch doesn't really work for me but at the same time I'm not about to throw myself off of my local golden arches. I can live with the deal; it has the potential to be either really helpful for us or to make us miss Brian Leonard.

BobCarl is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Wouldn't it be ironic if this Curry turns out to be the one we needed?
    Curry is the one "we" need..... in the Red-Zone. He can still out jump almost everyone in the NFL.

How many times did the Rams get in the Red-Zone and end up kicking a Field-goal?

The Rams red-zone scoring just improved dramatically.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BobCarl View Post
    Curry is the one "we" need..... in the Red-Zone. He can still out jump almost everyone in the NFL.

How many times did the Rams get in the Red-Zone and end up kicking a Field-goal?

The Rams red-zone scoring just improved dramatically.
    Possibly. And anyone who can pick up yards over the middle anywhere on the field would be a help to the Rams.

Btw, wasn't that "jump ball threat in the RZ" theory applied to the Bennett fiasco as well?

No doubt that Curry has the physical tools when healthy. He just seldom is.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I like it, we need depth and veteran experiance at WR. I also like that he has size, which we nee in the red zone.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Good lessons for a very young WR corps, that's all I expect out of it. Harris I don't really know enough about. But the Lions .. we'll All of the people I drink with at the bar.. and I mean everyone there usually boo's a lion decision at this point, and this move is no different. from what I've heard from fans. I'm really not worried about the Dt numbers since spags uses everyone.. De's and Dt's together I think were as ok as we will be.. Unless there is a good drop that I don't see happening..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow! Who would have thought we would go into camp with both Laurinaitis AND Curry?!?!?!

What's that? Ron? Who's Ron Curry? Don't you mean, Aar...? No? Oh, ok then.

Welcome aboard, Ron Curry.

Maybe we're looking at this wrong. Maybe this trade was made possible because Harris became expendable from the upside of one of our other unknown DTs? A. Burton? Gibson? Williams? It's possible.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

First off, I do look at this like a Leonard for Curry deal... and I love me some curry and rice. Seriously, I think it's a good trade, because Leonard was a carry over from the last regime and unless he was our #2 RB, he was dead weight. We got something for him as opposed to letting him get picked up by the Gints and winning a super bowl ring at least. It's an upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

Second, Curry's a former 7th round pick who has lasted in the NFL much longer than the average, and even has starting experience. I don't hold the 19 receptions against him because the Raiders were and are not a throwing team, no matter what the Crypt Keeper in Oakland thinks. He'll at least be able to mentor the other wideouts and I bet he makes the final roster.

If we keep 5, I bet we go with Avery, Burton, Robinson, Curry and Stanley with Foster on the practice squad. If we keep 6, then Foster gets to stay, obviously.

Lastly, when it comes to the defensive line, Spags knows his guys. If he says that Harris won't add anything and that the guys we have are enough, then so be it. I trust him when it comes to those calls, because he won a ring by knowing his D line. Add in the fact that he potentially will have DE's lining up inside as well, and the need for a ton of DT depth is lessened. I fully approve of this move and think that there's at least a 50/50 shot that if we really want Harris we could get him at the start of the season when he's cut.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    I love Curry!!! especially when you add lots of garlic and onions, cut up some nice and tender Cardinal, and Seahawk, the flavor just settles so nicely.Never tried it with a *****, though but i bet it would be just as good...mm mm gooood, I love that Curry.
    Is that to be tenderized or shredded?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast