Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trade ALERT: Rams trade Orien Harris for WR Ronald Curry

At the end of the day, I see it this way:

Curry has a chance - albeit a slight one - to be a starter.
    Harris had no chance (absent injuries) of being a starter.

There will likely be DTs available as street FAs in August who are as good as Harris.
    There likely will not be WRs available as street FAs (other than guys like Matt Jones - who has other issues) who are as good as Curry.

Still, if either of these players is, or would have been, the key to our season, then we've got BIG problems.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    but then again any offensive position in oakland besides RBs is scarry.
    Exactly. We're talking about a franchise that in two years only got 1500-some yards and 11 touchdowns out of Randy Moss. Moss moves on and gains nearly as many yards and twice as many touchdowns with the Patriots.

That's not to say I expect Curry to come in here and become a break-out star, but rather I'm agreeing that production (or lack thereof) in the abyss that is Oakland probably isn't indicative of someone's true potential. I think he probably has as much possibility of being a solid contributor in this group of receivers as anyone else.

Let's keep in mind the Raiders are one of the few teams the Scott Linehan Rams managed to beat.

The Giants seem to have a glut of DTs
    If you look at the giants they have Robbins, Canty, Cofeild, Alford,and Bernard
    Which they accumulated after Spags left (ie. signing Canty and Bernard this offseason), so it may not be indicative of his philosophy.

As I remember it, Spags DT personnel in New York really wasn't incredibly deep. They had the two starters in Robbins and Cofield, they had a situational guy in Alford in 2008, and then they got some contributions inside from swing men like Justin Tuck and Renaldo Wynn.

So it would seem a lot of the Giants' depth at DT under Spags came from the ability of some DEs to kick inside in certain situations - just like what we've seen in the past from guys like James Hall and Victor Adeyanju.

Thus, I wouldn't be shocked if the Rams' active roster only had three true defensive tackles listed - Carriker, Ryan, and Scott - but had guys like Adeyanju or Hall or perhaps even Chris Long sliding inside depending on the situation. Furthermore, I doubt the Giants would be interested in moving any of their DTs besides maybe Robbins, who doesn't exactly fit on a Rams team trying to get younger and build/rebuild for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCarl View Post
    Curry is the one "we" need..... in the Red-Zone. He can still out jump almost everyone in the NFL.

How many times did the Rams get in the Red-Zone and end up kicking a Field-goal?

The Rams red-zone scoring just improved dramatically.
    How'd that work out for Drew Bennett?

I think our red zone problems have been as much about poor offensive line play than anything else. The Rams never struck me as a team that got much push from the line in goal-to-go running situations, and that probably made it easier for defenses to defend a short field against the pass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    At the end of the day, I see it this way:

Curry has a chance - albeit a slight one - to be a starter.
    Harris had no chance (absent injuries) of being a starter.

There will likely be DTs available as street FAs in August who are as good as Harris.
    There likely will not be WRs available as street FAs (other than guys like Matt Jones - who has other issues) who are as good as Curry.

Still, if either of these players is, or would have been, the key to our season, then we've got BIG problems.
    Well said.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Harris' coffee didn't even get cold before he was shipped off, that should tell us something. Sometimes a change of scenery is what a player needs to get out of whatever funk he is in. Hopefully that's the case with Curry.

Nuthin' from nuthin' leaves nuthin'.

BobCarl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How'd that work out for Drew Bennett?
    How lame to diss Curry because a Bennett was a failure. Bennett couldn't hold Curry's jock in the Red Zone.

Curry, a former National Slam Dunk contest winner is a physical receiver that the Rams haven't had since moving to St. Louis.

This clip shows how he can fight for the ball in traffic and pull it down. (A type of WR that Bulger has never had as a pro)

YouTube - Ronald Curry Catch

And this clip often makes the top-10 catches of all time. Where Curry leaped above the cross bar to pull down a one-handed TD reception.

YouTube - Raiders catch!

Assuming that Curry makes the 53-man roster, I don't expect to see him used very often between the 20's. But in the Red Zone the Defense will have to account for him which gives a subtle advantage to the running game.

Mark my Words, if Curry makes the 53-man roster, the Rams Red-Zone production will be improved.

How lame to diss Curry because a Bennett was a failure.
    I don't believe anyone was dissing Curry, just challenging the notion that the addition of one receiver is going to "dramatically improve" the Rams' red zone efficiency simply because of his height and jumping ability.

If the Rams' red zone efficiency improves this season, I think the biggest reason will be their long-overdue improvements to the offensive line rather than the addition of a skill position player that the Detroit Lions decided they could do without.

Now, THAT was a diss!

(but one meant in good fun)

BobCarl Guest

I don't believe anyone was dissing Curry, just challenging the notion that the addition of one receiver is going to "dramatically improve" the Rams' ...
    That is why it is a diss. He wasn't brought on board to be a "dramatic" improvement. yet people are arguing as if he was.

He's a subtle improvement that improves the depth of the Rams bench.

I doubt that the Rams will be running with very many 3 and 4 WR sets on 1st down.

And unless Avery has a season ending injury, I doubt that Curry has 40 chances all season to even catch a pass.

But in the Red Zone Curry will bring something that Neither Bruce nor Holt could do, and Avery isn't expect to do it either and that is get physical with the defenders and come down with a reception.

Just a small roll, a subtle improvement, that's all.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Curry is very athletic, there's no doubt about that. Coming out of high school, he was both a highly regarded point guard and quarterback - among the top at both positions. Since college, he's had to adapt to the WR position, and he's adjusted well.

While the Rams have one of the most inexperienced group of receivers in the league, there is a lot of potential in our WR corps. Avery is a surefire starter - speedy enough, has the determination, but we'll see if he can put it all together. Burton, with all his physical skills, has been nothing but an injury problem since college. Laurent Robinson has shown some talent, but has the same problem with injuries. Both of these guys, if healthy, have the talent and upside to start opposite Avery.

However, Curry will be nothing more than a solid slot guy (IMO, of course). I'd be surprised to see him as a starter. What he does offer, though, is some consistency and leadership at the position. The Rams know what to expect from him. He doesn't have a high ceiling, but I believe he'll perform when called upon. I like the trade.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Just how I feel Disco. He'll be a solid slot guy and will bring some veteran leadership to the group, namely in how you have to always work harder than the other guy, having been a 7th round gamble himself. Low ceiling, but high floor as well.

That is why it is a diss. He wasn't brought on board to be a "dramatic" improvement. yet people are arguing as if he was.
    So by "people," you mean you?

BobCarl Guest

So by "people," you mean you?
    RED ZONE

Why are you trying to eff with what I'm saying?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

RED ZONE

Calm down buddy! I believe that it was just trying to point out that you said he wasn't brought in to make a "dramatic" improvement and you didn't know why people were making the signing out to be as such, yet you also said that our red zone scoring is immediately improved by the signing. Not trying to mess with you at all, just pointing out that you contradicted yourself... or referred to yourself. One or the other.

RED ZONE

No one is "effing" with what you're saying. Just pointing out that, when you reference people describing Curry's impact on this team as being dramatic, you're one of them. As illustrated here:

In fact, I believe you're the only one who characterized the Rams having improved "dramatically" in any way in this thread. No reason to throw a fit at me simply for pointing out what seems to be an inconsistency on your part.

Also, I have no objections when people only quote a small portion of my post rather than the whole thing, so long as it doesn't change the meaning of my response.

But since you brought it up, I don't think you have much room to complain about people "effing" with what you're saying after you cut one of my sentences in half, removing the portion that illustrates I was also talking about Curry specifically in regards to the red zone.

I don't believe anyone was dissing Curry, just challenging the notion that the addition of one receiver is going to "dramatically improve" the Rams' ...
    My original statement...

I don't believe anyone was dissing Curry, just challenging the notion that the addition of one receiver is going to "dramatically improve" the Rams' red zone efficiency simply because of his height and jumping ability.
    Emphasis added to show where you "effed" with what I was saying. And again, the only person in this thread that described Curry's impact on this team as being "dramatic" or that the Rams were in some way "improved dramatically" through his acquisition... was you.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Alright then. Hey, I'm glad WR Curry is in St. Louis and very likely to make the 2009 Rams!

Athletic ability: check!
    Enthusiasm: check!
    Experience: check!
    Size: check!

Oh, and I'd also like to believe RC sees this change as a legit opportunity to be part of a winning team THIS year...

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Alright then. Hey, I'm glad WR Curry is in St. Louis and very likely to make the 2009 Rams!

Athletic ability: check!
    Enthusiasm: check!
    Experience: check!
    Size: check!

Oh, and I'd also like to believe RC sees this change as a legit opportunity to be part of a winning team THIS year...
    I definitely agree with enthusiasm. Seems like all the videos I watch of him, he's very vocal and enthusiastic on the field (see the game against Minnesota). That's one thing that our Rams lacked last season, enthusiasm. The team we have currently is filled with it, and I love it!

BobCarl Guest

the only person in this thread that described Curry's impact on this team as being "dramatic" or that the Rams were in some way "improved dramatically" through his acquisition... was you.
    That is NOT how I said it. Straw man argument from a mod. Yawn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast