View Poll Results: WHEN will the trade happen?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shortly after the Combine

0 0%
  • Shortly after the Pro Days

1 2.44%
  • Late April

8 19.51%
  • Week of Draft

14 34.15%
  • Early Draft day

5 12.20%
  • With seconds left on the Rams clock

13 31.71%
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By chucknbob
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: Trade......but when?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Trade......but when?

Let's assume a trade for the #2 happens. We won't nitpick what the trade is, but let's question WHEN it will be happen:

--- shortly after the Combine

--- shortly after the Pro Days

--- late April

--- week of Draft

--- early Draft day

--- with seconds left on the Rams clock

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Re: Trade......but when?

I don't think it will happen until after the #1 draft is selected and we're on the clock.

Last time Indy said long in advance they were taking Luck. This time, we don't even know IF Texas will keep their #1 pick, let alone who they'll be taking. I bet we'll have a gentlemans agreement with a team saying "As long as (insert player) is available at #2 we'll make a trade".
    ManofGod, DE_Ramfan and Haste like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the Rams would like to get it done earlier so they can adjust their draft strategy accordingly, but I don't think it will happen as early as the RG3 trade, so I went with the week of the draft.
    LA Rammer likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I don't think it can happen until we know what Houston is doing or has done. For instance, if we have a trade in place with Atlanta, it'll likely be for Clowney, and of course all that goes out the window if he goes number one.

So it'll happen while we're on the clock.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I think its in the works now for most teams. Because most teams are off, while the remaining 6 slug it out in the playoffs.

Right now teams have a wish list penciled in at this moment as to who they want. After evaluations, reviews are done, they will look around and see who else maybe after the players they want and calculate if they need to trade up for a pick.

Last season the QB market in the Draft was a bit "soft" without too many names floated around as number ones. But as always there is a want for that "special" QB. This year, maybe there is an idiot club out there that's willing to mortgage the farm on that special QB and make another RGIII 2.0 deal.

How valuable that number 2 pick will be what happens with the number one pick and how desperate teams are. Personally, I was surprised how much teams were tight on holding on to their wallets with who was out in FA.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

At this point, at least, there's not as much of a 1A, 1B situation as there was in 2012. That said, I think that we'll have interest from someone who will be likely out of the running for Bridgewater/Johnny Football who will want Houston's sloppy seconds.

I don't care about 2006 and Mario Williams, Vince Young was known as a running QB and Vick was not exactly winning championships. Houston does not have a QB, will have a new coach who has been in college and has had exposure to the collegiate QB's. I predict that he'll take Bridgewater and we can sell the rights to Johnny, but we'll get the deal done sometime in late April as the top of the draft starts to clear up.
    I believe!

Mikey is offline Registered User

About two weeks prior to the draft. It'll maximize their scouting/workouts as well as allowing the other teams the same. This will get more teams interested in being able to move and increase the return. Still don't think we'll get as much as the RG3 trade but it'll be a nice haul.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

One of the options should have been...when Snead thinks he's got the best offer. I took week of the draft because there so many moving parts to this draft early on that few teams will have their sights fully in place until after they have gotten as much exposure to the top candidates as possible. This isn't as cut and dry as 2012 when Luck and RGIII were absolutes.

Go Rams!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    One of the options should have been...when Snead thinks he's got the best offer.
    That is, of course, embedded in every option.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I think it ultimately goes down to the day of the draft. I don't believe Houston will come out and declare who they will take, with them keeping their own pick up for sale. Because of that, and because it's not certain that there are 2 top QBs worthy of going in the top 2, you have to think that teams will not want to give up all of the picks to move up without knowing who Houston have taken off the board first.

For example, lets say someone like Cleveland falls in love with Bortles and wants to take him at #2, well what happens if Houston takes Bortles? Or if the Falcons want to trade up for a pass rusher, what happens if Clowney is gone? Because of that, I think unless Houston declares who they are taking, any trade will happen at the last minute.
    Rambos and mcpeepants232003 like this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

tomahawk post makes sense. Since there isn't a consensus #1 or #2 it likely won't happen until Houston either declares who they are picking or after they have picked.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I say the week of the draft. Bill Belichick's spies will have reported to him who the Texans are selecting by then.

The info will be leaked out by a spy from the Jets that has a degree in lip reading.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The Rams won't receive premium offers until the Texan's pick has been determined.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    The Rams won't receive premium offers until the Texan's pick has been determined.
    Perhaps, but remember that the Texans can reach a deal with their first choice prior to draft day.