Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Trading Steven Jackson

Now im aware im about to catch a huge amount of verbal abuse for this post but i ask the reader to hear me out. Steven Jackson is a great runningback currently in this league i think we can all agree there. My point is this. The rams are a rebuilding team. By the time we get to the point where we want to be as an organization, the way sjax is running now and being used, he'll be old and tired. If we traded sjax now we could get some first round picks are some other big names in free agency. Remember the story of jimmy johnson and the cowboys, we can no longer afford one good player and the everyone else sucks. We need stars all over the roster and guys for the future. Id appreciate your thoughts

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Trading Steven Jackson

You no what, everyone on this board has listened to every argument to trade sjax.

The answer is a resounding no.
    OYA.
    NDA.
    KDE.
    N...TAJ.
    HAW.
    HAWWA.
    MALEY.
    NEE.
    GEEN.

Thats 10 different way to say no.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Yes, this topic has been discussed at length on several occasions. While I understand the logic given by those who might consider it, I don't think it's wise to trade your best guy for what would amount to be a couple of draft picks. No team would sign off on the massive number of picks involved in the Herschel Walker deal.

And another thing I don't recall anyone mentioning: What kind of a message does it send when you trade a guy who is not only the backbone of your team but has given the kind of effort he's given during a miserable season?

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

my argument for not doing that is getting many draft picks is to big of a gamble we could draft all busts. and jugdeing by the last decade we are the best at doing that. also. nfl team can make turn arounds, falcons, ravens, dolphins, and this year the bengals.
    this year even we were a touchdown away from winning in 5 games! a 6-6 record we could have if we got luckier. If we get Suh to sure up the dline and pike in the second round as a qb and another playmaker. we could make the playoffs very easily in our division any year.
    jackson is our offense.... jackson is this franchise and he is worth to much to trade away and get nothing gaurented back

BEER is offline Registered User

?We have won 6 games in 3 years, or on course to. How long can you build
    a team around a player thats the only player? How many times do I have
    to say " Rebuild, means rebuild!" It is selfish to keep Jackson for the sol purpuse of him being the only good player on O.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

guys we aren't that far off...have a little patience. give this staff another year to build something, i can pretty much guarantee you it won't be as bad next year. the most we would get out of him at this point would be a 1st and 2nd, and that isn't going to help enough to justify trading one of the best players in the nfl.

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    guys we aren't that far off...have a little patience. give this staff another year to build something, i can pretty much guarantee you it won't be as bad next year. the most we would get out of him at this point would be a 1st and 2nd, and that isn't going to help enough to justify trading one of the best players in the nfl.
    Sorry to bust you bubble, but what draft pic in the last 7 years has
    changed the rams bad play? Yea we might get the #1 pick, but will it change
    anything else?

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

I don't quite get this 'selfish' business, why would we be unselfish and make some other team better? Jackson doesn't appear to be itching for a trade, the last I heard from him he's bought into what Spags is building. I fail to see how shipping him out makes us a better team immediately.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Sorry to bust you bubble, but what draft pic in the last 7 years has
    changed the rams bad play? Yea we might get the #1 pick, but will it change
    anything else?
    The thing is why are you so sure it wont get turned around. The Rams pick a a legit franchise QB or a once in a while DT like suh who say things don't turn around. I think you are forgetting we are still in year one of rebuilding mode. We have done alot of work on the 0-line and filled many holes in the secondary. James Lauranatis, Chris Long, and OJ seem to be a cornerstone players on defense. We have plenty of cap room and high picks to get impact players. Look at what spags and Devaney have brought in so far. Our first four picks have played well Jason Brown and Butler were 2 great additions. Adding guys like Kareny, Gibson, Bajema, and Amendola were also really good moves. They didn't miss alot on what they went after. Having one more offseason like this could really help us out.

So are we that far off? Based on what they have done so far no we aren't.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

but who is going to give up loads of picks for Jackson, and how many picks?

we arent going to get the return that will justify trading Jackson

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    The thing is why are you so sure it wont get turned around. The Rams pick a a legit franchise QB or a once in a while DT like suh who say things don't turn around. I think you are forgetting we are still in year one of rebuilding mode. We have done alot of work on the 0-line and filled many holes in the secondary. James Lauranatis, Chris Long, and OJ seem to be a cornerstone players on defense. We have plenty of cap room and high picks to get impact players. Look at what spags and Devaney have brought in so far. Our first four picks have played well Jason Brown and Butler were 2 great additions. Adding guys like Kareny, Gibson, Bajema, and Amendola were also really good moves. They didn't miss alot on what they went after. Having one more offseason like this could really help us out.

YOU make good points Beast, but Its a matter of looking at this situation Glass half full or half empty. Rams have done alot of work in the off season , the past three years, in the rebuilding of this franchise. All looks good on paper but results have given this paper a F-minus.

I would love to get more Skilled Playmakers to balance off the Rams solitary attack options with Jackson. The more I watch Steven Jackson the less I want to part with him.

I've come to relize it would be foolish to Trade away great RB in his prime!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    ?We have won 6 games in 3 years, or on course to. How long can you build
    a team around a player thats the only player? How many times do I have
    to say " Rebuild, means rebuild!" It is selfish to keep Jackson for the sol purpuse of him being the only good player on O.
    Perhaps. But by the same token I guess it is selfish of me to want to see the Rams win a game or two next year.

After experiencing the youthocalypse in the receiver corps this year, the last thing this franchise needs to do is go all youth at another critical offensive skill position.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Many good points for and against on display here. Trading away your best player for numerous unknown draft picks, though, could be disastrous. It is a solid position as long as SJax is healthy, so I don't want to rebuild that area as well. I would not trust this organization, even with the new front office, to make the right picks and spend the money necessary for numerous unknowns with the ownership position in flux. We seem to be rebuilding just fine with our wide receiver corps, so we need to let the front office continue this process and maintain the positions that we know are strengths; like the running back position. SJax presence is a selling point for a new owner, so I don't see the current ownership selling one of its biggest assets for numerous unknowns while trying to sell the team as a package...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post

I agree with a lot you have to say. But we need good high pics, and a
    lot of them. Trading Jackson would give us a couple of those.

Lets put it this way...... In 3 to 5 years, do you seeing us wining the SB with Jackson? I dont thinks so, but what I do think is we can start
    to build a solid "TEAM" around 5 or 6 good draft pics.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Sure lets go ahead and trade a young talented back who is top 5 in the NFL. AWESOME idea!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast