throwback week

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Trans-formative figures

In 1999, St Louis was blessed with the emergence of two trans-formative players. Marshall Faulk and the surprising out of nowhere Kurt Warner. Few teams get blessed with one in a season. We got two. And following on the heels of Orlando Pace no less.

I was a Suh fan for the #1 pick, at least until Sam Bradford's pro day. He showed he was healthy, had arm strength and accuracy. And the kid is just a fantastic person with those intangibles like an easy going manner and intelligence.

He has since shown more intangibles such as leadership and stewardship.

He has not played a meaningful game yet.............but I say we are now seeing the emergence of our next trans-formative type player and need to realize how lucky we are.

Steven Jackson will be better. Can you believe that. Receivers don't need to be completely open for Sam to get the ball to them. Quicker decisions and reads will result in the OL looking more competent. Our TE's will look like TE's instead of rush pylons.

A trans-formative player is one who can elevate the performance of those around him. I think, IMHO, that any expectation that this will be a troublesome struggle of a first year for Sam is going to be met with wonder about how come this kid did what he's about to do. Comparing this kid to Klinger, Couch and Alex Smith is shallow and lazy. This Young Man brings more intangibles to the table than any of them.

In ten years, I doubt we remember this moment as clearly trans-formative as it may seems today, or eight days from now.

Todays Reason #1 for being a Rams fan: Sam Bradford.

May watching football be fun again.

Semper Fi!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Trans-formative figures

Hmmm, remember when we traded for a guy with supposed "character concerns" for a 2nd and 5th round pick that year. I think he was one of those trans-formative figures you mentioned.

Wouldn't it be nice to fill a huge hole with a Pro Bowl caliber player for a second round pick once again?

But who in the world could we get? Trades like that don't happen very often...

Oh thats right, Vincent Jackson! There is another trans-formative figure right there.

Man that would be two big time acquisitions and that is exciting right there, yes sir.

perhaps, but I couldn't, wouldn't, put VJ in the same class as I did Marshall at that time.
    Semper Fi!

AugustaRamFan Guest

We can look back on the Warner situation and say he was the right QB at the right time. Maybe even some divine intervention....

Would not compare Bradford's (transforming ability) to the Warner/Faulk situation. The supporting casts are far different as the Warner Team had several Pro Bowlers and top round draft picks that actually formed the base a quality team.

Bradford does not have nearly the supporting cast, especially on the OL. Bradford will may have some of the intangibles of a great QB, but if he takes a pounding physically and starts to waver, he may lose foot holds he has built with the fans and team mates.

Bradford may be the next "he's the one". However, he can only transform attitudes not the physical abilities of supporting cast.

I guess I'm saying let's not over-hype the guy he as zero NFL experience.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Comparing Faulk's 'character concerns' to Jackson's is ludicrous. Jackson is a CRIMINAL...a REPEAT OFFENDER who is about to serve a league issued suspension. Faulk was accused of being a malcontent.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan View Post
    We can look back on the Warner situation and say he was the right QB at the right time. Maybe even some divine intervention....

Would not compare Bradford's (transforming ability) to the Warner/Faulk situation. The supporting casts are far different as the Warner Team had several Pro Bowlers and top round draft picks that actually formed the base a quality team.

Bradford does not have nearly the supporting cast, especially on the OL. Bradford will may have some of the intangibles of a great QB, but if he takes a pounding physically and starts to waver, he may lose foot holds he has built with the fans and team mates.

Bradford may be the next "he's the one". However, he can only transform attitudes not the physical abilities of supporting cast.

I guess I'm saying let's not over-hype the guy he as zero NFL experience.
    Who would be those pro bowlers? Before Warner emerged.

There are quite a few high draft picks on this team now. And compare the OL, you got Brown, Bell. Who was her before Warner? Pace was a second year player. Timmerman. Who else that is demonstrably better than whats here now.

No, I think this team will step up. I think there are similarities galore. They most likely won't win the SB, but Bradford will prove to be trans formative.
    Semper Fi!

macrammer is offline Registered User

Man, what is it with all of this love for VJack? Yes, the Rams need a #1 receiver, have all pre-season. Jackson is not the answer and comparison to Faulk is way off base. I am fine with no bona fide number 1 if that menas the FO does not panic llke some of the fan base. Year two of the spags rebuilding regime begins in 1 week. Go Rams