Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

travis fischer restricted free agent

i believe travis fischer is a restricted free agent. what would you do, let him go, tender him at the lowest level (about 900k) which i believe gets you a #2 if someone signs him and you dont match since he was taken in the second round or tender him at the middle level (about 1.3 mill which gets you a #1 if someone signs him and you dont match)

at the minimum, i would tender at the lowest level. no way would i let him just walk for 900 k cap dollars. he had a tough year, but played hurt. i think there is still some upside there and i dont think you are going to get much for that kind of money, especially given that we dont know if butler will come back at full strenghth.

numbers game bartell, butler, fischer, groce, maybe ivy (but i think he will price himself out of our range), possibly a high draft pick a la jimmy williams. i think chris johnson is probably a longshot. Maybe if we signed a big time free agent it might change my mind, but personally, i continue to believe we need a lot more help at linebacker and safety than corner. Our problems at corner are very much a function of our pass rush issues.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: travis fischer restricted free agent

Well I must admit GC that when the season was over I was willing to help T.Fish swim on outta here; but with the numbers you have presented I am willing to reconsider now. If we could tender him at 900K and some other team would be nuts enough to sign him, this could be a great way to steal a 2nd round pick. Besides I've learned not to argue MONEY with an attorney. Everything else though is fair game!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Fisher is under contract for 2006.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Fisher is under contract and Fisher is a guy that I'm looking foward to next season. He was hurt most of this season, and he's not anywhere near as bad as he played. I think he'll turn it around and become a very solid CB
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RealRam is offline Registered User

I think he'll turn it around and become a very solid CB. -- RJ39
    Same here! I think of Fisher more or less as Archuleta in that they just haven't proven themselves, mainly due to injuries.

This new season is their time -- or else. :angryram:

general counsel is offline Registered User

thanks nick, its amazing how much contradictory info you can read on the free agency status of these guys. I read he was a rfa. i am glad he is under contract. how much is his cap number.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

As much as you guys and RJ39 have heard me complain about Travis FISHER (GC ITS FISHER NOT FISCHER) I would most definetly give him another shot. I agree that he isn't as bad as he played but honestly I think he should have been put on the IR earlier and not aggravate it again. But serioulsy if he is a RFA which I'm pretty sure he is under contract still. I mean check this out: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302191 I think he was hurting last year as far as the groin goes and a guy doesn't go from an awesome season (Fisher's 2003) season to a bad season (04', and 05') If he is healthy he can be good as seen earlier this season. If he can stay healthy and with a new DC next year he will be better. Go Fisher!
    RamsFan16

mh-i is offline Registered User

I don't know about anyone else but I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about a starting CB combo of Butler and Fisher for 2006. Fisher had ZERO interceptions in 2005 whether he was healthy or not. He shut down nobody. In my opinion neither Butler or Fisher can even remotely be considered "shut down" cornerbacks one on one. I thought the idea was for the Rams to improve themselves in the offseason. It seems that most posters are content to go into next season with the same players and only change the defensive coordinator. That would be a huge mistake. I think we need to bring in one real CB and let the other guys fight it out for the remaining spot and nickle back duties.
    Last edited by mh-i; -01-13-2006 at 01:56 AM.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

GC I have to agree with you "Ditto"

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    i believe travis fischer is a restricted free agent. what would you do, let him go, tender him at the lowest level (about 900k) which i believe gets you a #2 if someone signs him and you dont match since he was taken in the second round or tender him at the middle level (about 1.3 mill which gets you a #1 if someone signs him and you dont match)

at the minimum, i would tender at the lowest level. no way would i let him just walk for 900 k cap dollars. he had a tough year, but played hurt. i think there is still some upside there and i dont think you are going to get much for that kind of money, especially given that we dont know if butler will come back at full strenghth.

numbers game bartell, butler, fischer, groce, maybe ivy (but i think he will price himself out of our range), possibly a high draft pick a la jimmy williams. i think chris johnson is probably a longshot. Maybe if we signed a big time free agent it might change my mind, but personally, i continue to believe we need a lot more help at linebacker and safety than corner. Our problems at corner are very much a function of our pass rush issues.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Agree 200% but also need to have the Dline step up and put more pressure on the QB

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i
    I don't know about anyone else but I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about a starting CB combo of Butler and Fisher for 2006. Fisher had ZERO interceptions in 2005 whether he was healthy or not. He shut down nobody. In my opinion neither Butler or Fisher can even remotely be considered "shut down" cornerbacks one on one. I thought the idea was for the Rams to improve themselves in the offseason. It seems that most posters are content to go into next season with the same players and only change the defensive coordinator. That would be a huge mistake. I think we need to bring in one real CB and let the other guys fight it out for the remaining spot and nickle back duties.

IMPO DL,LB, and safeties are what we need! Actually Carter and Atogwe will do fine there if givin the chance!

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i
    Last season, Butler was as dominant as a CB can be. He had 6 INTs and was the only bright spot on the defense. Teams didnt even try to attack him anymore, and he did all this without a good CB beside him. Remember, he's young and only going to get better.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    IMPO DL,LB, and safeties are what we need! Actually Carter and Atogwe will do fine there if givin the chance!
    So which is it? Safeties are what we need, or Carter and Atogwe will do fine?
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Last season, Butler was as dominant as a CB can be. He had 6 INTs and was the only bright spot on the defense. Teams didnt even try to attack him anymore, and he did all this without a good CB beside him. Remember, he's young and only going to get better.

I'm not sure I would use the word dominant to describe Butler BUT 5 interceptions isn't bad especially compared to the int count by corners this year for the Rams. Like I said in my original post, if the Rams can add 1 more corner they could be alright there. Also a safety to replace Arch who can defend the pass will help out.

rams2061 Guest

Unrestrict Fisher and send him on his merry way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast