Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Travis Fischer-What clanram is all about

The travis fischer thread recently posted by nick is what this site is all about.

Regardless of whether you think fischer is unfairly maligned by fans who dont appreciate the impact a lack of a pass rush has on any db, or whether you think fischer couldnt cover adam timmerman in a phone booth, you have to appreciate that spirited debate that has run rampant on the board on this topic over the last week or so.

Whether you agree with it or not, nick wrote a well reasoned, intellegent article, which as usual, certain people overeacted to by posting responses to comments that nick didnt actually make. However, for the most part, this was a terrific substantive discussion that enabled us to vent our respective frustrations at our defensive shortcomings in pass coverage and our frittering away the seattel game at the end.

LEts hope that we can find more topics of that nature to discuss as we move forward without bashing things that arent even written in the thread. Kudos to nick for taking the time and effort to actually watch the tape over and over in the clear light of day. Personally, i can never watch a replay of a loss, let alone one as painful as that, and thus, my greatest regret and the memory i will always carry of that seattle game is that the holt catch wont get the true recognition it deserves in rams history since we lost the game.

Now if holt had that kind of concentration in the carolina playoff game, he makes that catch for sure.....

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Travis Fischer-What clanram is all about

Personally, I can never watch a replay of a loss, let alone one as painful as that, and thus, my greatest regret and the memory I will always carry of that Seattle game is that the Holt catch won't get the true recognition it deserves in rams history since we lost the game. -- GC
    Same here. Imagine how that catch would have stood out even more --and forever more -- if we had won the game.

Excellent comment on the Travis thread! Go CLAN!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

great comments once again GC, now which player are we going to verbally abuse this week.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i wouldnt mind seeing people get on carter. I think he has little or no clue in coverage. I cant get the vision out of my head of him being the third guy to get beat on the long td. Maybe it wasnt his reponsibility, as i say, i cant watch the replay.

Another suggestion is OJ. HOw the heck did he drop the SURE INT on the first pass of the game. The ball hit him right in the hands before he did his antuan edwards imitation.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I say we go retro and bash Martz for the squib kick against New Orleans that forced us to lose a game we should have won.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

How about bashing Jason Sehorn for all his missed tackles vs the Panthers in the NFC Playoff game ?

Or better yet Michael Ervin for not mentioning Torry Holt in his top 5 playmaker list last week ?
    Last edited by laram0; -10-23-2006 at 07:14 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

i wouldnt mind seeing people get on carter. I think he has little or no clue in coverage. I cant get the vision out of my head of him being the third guy to get beat on the long td. Maybe it wasnt his reponsibility, as i say, i cant watch the replay.
    Jerome Carter is a Strong Safety and isn't expected to be great in coverage, and has an interception this season which helped preserve the win against Detroit.

Another suggestion is OJ. HOw the heck did he drop the SURE INT on the first pass of the game. The ball hit him right in the hands before he did his antuan edwards imitation.
    Yes he dropped that one, and another one against San Fransisco but if he would have caught both that'd be 4 interceptions, right now he has 2, and Fisher has 0.
    RamsFan16

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Jerome Carter is a Strong Safety and isn't expected to be great in coverage, and has an interception this season which helped preserve the win against Detroit.
    It's interesting how you'll find reasons to defend Carter of bad play but will throw Fisher to the wolves when you think he's made a mistake. Carter made a great play on an inaccurate pass against Detroit, but you can't then turn around and write off his role in that deep touchdown because you feel strong safeties aren't expected to be great in coverage.

No one's asking or expecting him to be great in coverage, but that doesn't excuse poor play when it happens. You criticize Fisher for not looking for the ball in man coverage with his back to the QB. Did you happen to pay attention to where Carter, covering a deep zone as a safety, was looking when the ball arrived on Jackson's pass?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Carter doesn't get beat near as much as Fisher, because Carter don't play as much, Carter is in his 2nd year and can keep workign on it, Fisher is in his what, sixth year? He should know that by now.
    RamsFan16

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

What should he know exactly?

I'm getting a little tired of these villifications that become fashionable every once in a while. Can it be realised that not everything is as black and white as we would like to believe and that football, like every thing else depends on much more than time served. If time in the NFL was a perfect indicator of performance, then Dickerson would still be in the backfield and Slater would be our starting left tackle.

Besides, I have a funny feeling that someone took GC's comment about Carter a little too seriously

He should know that by now.
    He should know what...?

Carter doesn't get beat near as much as Fisher
    Well first of all, it's been five days since I challenged you to back up claims about Fisher's poor play and you have yet to do so.

But more importantly, you're creating a huge double standard by criticizing one player for something but giving another player a pass for it. If you think Carter's going to improve, that's fine. Most people understand that an inexperienced guy is going to make some mistakes.

But that doesn't excuse him making those mistakes. They're just as costly and need just as much correcting. If you're going to set a standard, hold everyone to it.

He should know to turn and locate the ball, and why should I make claims? If you watch the game you should know.
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Bashing of Travis Fisher, Part 2: The Return

"This time.....it's personal"

Coming soon to a message board near you.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Fisher Sucks stir stir stir the pot.

He should know to turn and locate the ball, and why should I make claims? If you watch the game you should know.
    Judging by the multiple responses I've made with detailed comments about specific plays over the course of the season, combined with the 1200-word article I wrote analyzing Fisher's play in the Seattle game alone, I think it's safe to say that, yes, I actually am watching the games.

This is now the third separate thread in which you've balked at having to support your opinions about Fisher. At some point, I would think you'd have to provide some kind of supporting evidence if you're going to continue putting forth this evaluation.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-23-2006 at 09:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast