Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

From Rotoworld :

Tre Mason: Coaches said I'll compete to start

Rams fourth-round RB Tre Mason says the coaching staff has told him he'll compete for the starting job.

The Rams could mean "compete" in the loosest of senses, but it's worth filing away nonetheless. We'd ultimately be very surprised if Mason pushes Zac Stacy for No. 1 duties. Stacy is coming off an impressive rookie season, while Mason needs to iron out his ball security and pass protection issues. He's likely ticketed for a change-of-pace role.

Source: Ryan Van Bibber on Twitter

May 29 - 5:43 PM
    Could be interesting, especially since Fisher recently stated he thinks Stacy would become a "70% of the carries guy". We'll see what the real story is, but I did see a twitter comment from Torry Holt stating "good!that's how it should be. need more competition at all positions".

Nothing wrong with competition.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

Not really a fan. Zac absolutely carried this team last season and put this team on his back. The least he deserves is a commitment to him. I'm not saying that we should cut off all possibilities but let's let the guy know he is the #1 and bellcow.

Stacy did an amazing job last season. Now with a real QB and an even better line (Robinson is going to do WONDERS at LG) I wouldn't be surprised to see Stacy approach 1,400-1,500 yards and 10+ TD's.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Not really a fan. Zac absolutely carried this team last season and put this team on his back. The least he deserves is a commitment to him. I'm not saying that we should cut off all possibilities but let's let the guy know he is the #1 and bellcow.

Stacy did an amazing job last season. Now with a real QB and an even better line (Robinson is going to do WONDERS at LG) I wouldn't be surprised to see Stacy approach 1,400-1,500 yards and 10+ TD's.
    Again, who knows what the real story is, but regardless, if Zac is everything we think he is (I agree with you that he is amazing), he should have no problem locking down the starting position.
    sosa39rams likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Stacy is a bowling ball he just bounces off defenders and keep racking up yards but the guy has had some injuries that have sidelined him for series (the last play in the seahags game and the last half of the bears game) I dont think he is a 1400 yard feature back guy

Giving Tre the opportunity to earn the starting spot will just help us I mean I dont think FIsh will ever complain about have 2 starting RBs (remember CJ2K and white)

Id rather have 2 1,000yrd rushers than one guy 1400-1500...this battle can only help the Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    We're not talking about the QB position. Both can play and contribute.

I'm far more concerned with team rushing yards than I am with who starts or who gets the most carries.
    Nick, Varg6 and Randart like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We're not talking about the QB position. Both can play and contribute.

I'm far more concerned with team rushing yards than I am with who starts or who gets the most carries.
    exactly...plus its a long injury plagued season...so Cunningham too
    Randart likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Again, who knows what the real story is, but regardless, if Zac is everything we think he is (I agree with you that he is amazing), he should have no problem locking down the starting position.
    True. But who knows right? Last season Fisher and Schottenheimer started the season with DRICH as the #1 and Pead #2.. Yet Stacy didn't get his chance until our run game was visibly horrible even though he was a much better runner even through TC.

I think Mason will be a decent COP but I never really understood the 1-2 RB attack. Over a season yes it makes sense because it's a long and strenuous season and injuries happen but during games? I don't believe in any timeshare. If a guy is doing work and is obliterating a defense you are NOT taking him out, and if he is struggling and you put your #2 and he excels, he's not coming off either. One way or another, this offense is going to have a bellcow.

Also, Mason struggles in pass pro so Stacy will be a 3 down back IMO.

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is offline Registered User

always should have competition

Mikey is offline Registered User

How many draft picks weren't told they could come in and compete for a starting job? I'd imagine everybody but a QB and DE were told they'd be able to compete for a job. UDFA are all told they'll have a shot at a roster spot. Nothing surprising here imo. It makes the rookies hungry being told they have a shot at the job and it makes the vets/starters hungry knowing they've got somebody out for their job. Just good business but Fisher/Snead to tell rookies this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

From Rotoworld :

Could be interesting, especially since Fisher recently stated he thinks Stacy would become a "70% of the carries guy". We'll see what the real story is, but I did see a twitter comment from Torry Holt stating "good!that's how it should be. need more competition at all positions".

Nothing wrong with competition.
    Yeah....like QB.

Thanks Torry!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Yeah....like QB.

Thanks Torry!
    Obviously Fisher and Snead do not agree with you and Holt.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Obviously Fisher and Snead do not agree with you and Holt.
    And obviously that doesn't make them right.

I'm willing to bet that if the question of whether competition is good for all positions was posed league-wide, Torry and I would destroy Fisher and Snead, if that is their position, which by the way, I don't believe is.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -05-29-2014 at 10:49 PM.

I'm willing to bet that if the question of whether competition is good for all positions was posed league-wide, Torry and I would destroy Fisher and Snead, if that is their position, which by the way, I don't believe is.
    In the case of QB, with the Rams current situation, it absolutely is their position. In a different circumstance, that position could be entirely different, but for now, it's not.

As far as RB, although I have zero doubt Stacy is the real deal, I can understand it IF the Rams told Mason he'd be competing. Stacy has yet to play an entire season, he's only in his second year, and he did get a little dinged up a few times. IMO, a competition helps Zac solidify his claim as THE guy.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

QB is different. That's why there is the old saying that a team with two No. 1 QBs has no No. 1 QB.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Zac Stacy had a great rookie year, but he is owed nothing. Drafting Mason only solidified the idea that we, at the very least, need a good 1-2 punch at the running back position. As good as Stacy was, he was banged up and the way we are using running backs with Fisher we definitely need some insurance. I like Mason a lot and I think he'll be an integral part of the offense.
    MauiRam likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast