Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Re: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

Stopped reading after "Rams fourth-round RB. Come on Rotoworld, if we are to believe your articles, at least get your facts straight.
    RealRam and sosa39rams like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    QB is different. That's why there is the old saying that a team with two No. 1 QBs has no No. 1 QB.
    QB is only viewed differently in this case because Bradford was the first overall pick and makes an insane amount of money.

Had he been a third or fourth round pick he might already be gone, or at the very least he'd no doubt have someone competing with him everyday.

The obvious pressure on a team to make sure their number one pick is successful sometimes overrides logic, as no one in football wants to make that kind of mistake.

So they thrust guys into positions they either haven't earned or don't deserve.

Not saying that's necessarily the case with Bradford, but it's pretty obvious to me the organization will do all it can to make sure Sam Bradford is the Rams starting QB at least until his contract runs out whether he is successful or not as evidenced by his rather paultry career QBR of 79. Unless of course, their hand is forced by either subpar play with a good roster or another injury.

Here's to hoping this will be Sam's greatest season, because frankly, if it's not, his time may be up.

kman is offline Registered User

they are just trying to keep the kid happy..stacy will be the clear starter, with sprinkles of mason.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

QB is only viewed differently in this case because Bradford was the first overall pick and makes an insane amount of money.
    No, the saying pre-dates Bradford by many years.

Had he been a third or fourth round pick he might already be gone, or at the very least he'd no doubt have someone competing with him everyday.
    Because you say so?

The obvious pressure on a team to make sure their number one pick is successful sometimes overrides logic, as no one in football wants to make that kind of mistake.
    So, had he been a second round pick who won Offensive Rookie of the Year, the Rams would have drafted QB to compete with him?

So they thrust guys into positions they either haven't earned or don't deserve.
    The Rams front office and coaching staff disagree with you regarding what Sam has earned and what he deserves.

Now... in deference to the thread's topic, can we get back to discussing the RBs?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-30-2014 at 12:19 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    they are just trying to keep the kid happy..stacy will be the clear starter, with sprinkles of mason.
    Not sure what "sprinkles" is supposed to mean.

I envision Stacy averaging 15-18 carries and Mason averaging 10-12. That's just a guess, though. In the long run, either could be the primary feature back.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, the saying pre-dates Bradford by many years.

Because you say so?

So, had he been a second round pick who won Offensive Rookie of the Year, the Rams would have drafted QB to compete with him?

The Rams front office and coaching staff disagree with you regarding what Sam has earned and what he deserves.

Now... in deference to the thread's topic, can we get back to discussing the RBs?
    1) Not even referring to the saying, as it means absolutely nothing in this case. Only referring to this particular set of circumstances.

2) Not because I say so, but because most with football knowledge would likely say so. And yes. I count myself among them.

3) Not privy to what Mr. Spagnuolo and company would've done.

4) I'll let that stop me from expressing my opinion when you let it stop you from expressing yours.

5) Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Mason will be pushing someone for carries alright and that someone is Bennie Cunningham. If Stacy is healthy he is the guy.

Also, is just me or is anyone else disappointed that we select a RB in the 3rd round who is deficient with his blocking and in blitz pickup? The comment made by Mayock when he was picked was something along the lines of, "The next time he blocks someone will be his first." I find that remark to be rather chilling especially in today's NFL with all the complex blitz packages and in light of Sam's history of injuries and all.

If an RB can't or won't block he doesn't play. It is that simple.

WHAT SAY YE?
    ramsbruce likes this.

Randart is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    True. But who knows right? Last season Fisher and Schottenheimer started the season with DRICH as the #1 and Pead #2.. Yet Stacy didn't get his chance until our run game was visibly horrible even though he was a much better runner even through TC.

I think Mason will be a decent COP but I never really understood the 1-2 RB attack. Over a season yes it makes sense because it's a long and strenuous season and injuries happen but during games? I don't believe in any timeshare. If a guy is doing work and is obliterating a defense you are NOT taking him out, and if he is struggling and you put your #2 and he excels, he's not coming off either. One way or another, this offense is going to have a bellcow.

Also, Mason struggles in pass pro so Stacy will be a 3 down back IMO.
    Just a couple points about your statements there sosa:
    1. Zac I believe got injured or was injured to start the season from preseason I believe... and was subsequetially injured more as he played during the season.
    2. We cannot have a bell cow RB if they are all hurt as was the case last season except for Peadster who the staff refused to use even when he was the only option that was healthy. Thankfully we have 3 guys can carry the load and I believe cause of the banging they took last season it should be shared! I would rather have 3 or 4 guys spilting the time and keep them semi fresh than see those injuries repeated from over use as happened last season. Just some considerations on having a bell cow RB. Also all our backs are small compared to a Bus or any other larger pounding back you wish to name.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The NFL is a week to week, game to game proposition. By that I mean teams have a gameplan that adjusts once the game starts and coaches see what works and what doesn't. Given that circumstance the Rams will probably determine if the running game calls for power running between the tackles or more of an outside speed running game. Either way we are in a good place with both these players as well as Cunningham to support them. Tre Mason was selected for a reason, 3rd rounders are not selected on a whim.

Go Rams!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Mason will be pushing someone for carries alright and that someone is Bennie Cunningham. If Stacy is healthy he is the guy.

Also, is just me or is anyone else disappointed that we select a RB in the 3rd round who is deficient with his blocking and in blitz pickup? The comment made by Mayock when he was picked was something along the lines of, "The next time he blocks someone will be his first." I find that remark to be rather chilling especially in today's NFL with all the complex blitz packages and in light of Sam's history of injuries and all.

If an RB can't or won't block he doesn't play. It is that simple.

WHAT SAY YE?
    He is in the same boat Robinson is in, just because they where not asked to do does not mean they can't.

Tre now holds what was once Bo Jackson's record rushing record!

Mason's performance gives him 1,816 yards on the season, passing Bo Jackson's all-time Auburn rushing record of 1,786 yards. The record-breaking evening comes just one game after Mason broke the SEC Championship's single-game rushing record with 304 yards.
    Last year....317 carries, 1,816 yards, 23 TDs, 5.7 YPC disappointed is not the word that comes to my mind.

The good teams become great teams when they draft the best players on the board or can afford to do it. Taking Tre was one of those picks and so was Aaron Donald. With other needs we took the best player. If he needs some time to work on blitz pick up and pass blocking, he will have the time to master it. No need to play him until he's ready in all fazes.

He says he's got a jump on the offense...

"It's a pro style offense, back to high school and my sophomore year in college," Mason said about the Rams offense. "My sophomore year, before Coach [Gus] Malzahn, we ran the I-formation, same terminology."

My concern with Tre is his fumbles.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Last year....317 carries, 1,816 yards, 23 TDs, 5.7 YPC disappointed is not the word that comes to my mind.

The good teams become great teams when they draft the best players on the board or can afford to do it. Taking Tre was one of those picks and so was Aaron Donald. With other needs we took the best player. If he needs some time to work on blitz pick up and pass blocking, he will have the time to master it. No need to play him until he's ready in all fazes.
    I loved this pick. No Tre hasn't played and NFL game yet, but surely he is a very talented young man. If Stacy and/or Cunningham get dinged we need talented depth. Tre also is reputed to have very good hands which gives Sam yet another viable target. As Rambos aptly pointed our, we are progressing to the point where we can take BPA over need.

Since we are discussing running backs, what are the odds Pead is still a Ram after training camp? Thoughts?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I hope Zac plays better than last year and Tre still beats him out for the starting job.

Zac is 8-9 lbs heavier than Tre and it's all in his thigh muscles.
    Tre is faster and a little stronger up top.

Nice duo.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -05-30-2014 at 01:31 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He is in the same boat Robinson is in, just because they where not asked to do does not mean they can't.

Tre now holds what was once Bo Jackson's record rushing record!
    RAMarkable didn't say he can't, he said Mason hasn't done a very good job with his blocking and blitz pickup, and from what I saw I agree with him. Mason and G Rob for that matter better hope they can pass protect or they won't be on the field very long.

I didn't mind the pick because Z.Stacy needs help, but Mason's pass protection scares me a bit. Hopefully Tre can get on the field and stay there to contribute.

With all due respect to Tre Mason's talent and rushing for more yards than Jackson which is very good, Bo Jackson is on a different level athletically. Actually he's on a different planet altogether.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -05-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Not really a fan. Zac absolutely carried this team last season and put this team on his back. The least he deserves is a commitment to him. I'm not saying that we should cut off all possibilities but let's let the guy know he is the #1 and bellcow.
    You make Stacy sound like an impatient girlfriend - commit to him because he deserves it. Seems silly to me. If Stacy's the best 'back, then he'll win the competition. If he's not, then we'll all be glad they had a competition in the first place.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    As good as Stacy was, he was banged up and the way we are using running backs with Fisher we definitely need some insurance. I like Mason a lot and I think he'll be an integral part of the offense.
    Totally agree.

Also, yes, Mason can start ... on a Stacy / Mason 1 - 2 punch basis.

Throw in Corey Harkey at FB now and then and the Rams just might return to a B+ running game.

EDIT: This is about Tre Mason but being I like a good FB and the Rams have a few plays designed with TE Corey Harkey supporting Stacy's running game, so I'm sharing this article by N. Wagoner from Nov. last year. Would love to see Harkey, a big fullback, lead Mason as well.

Harkey the unsung hero of rushing revival
    N. Wagoner / ESPN NFL Nation
    Nov. 29, 2013

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It is NFL custom for successful running backs to take care of the offensive linemen, tight ends and fullbacks who open holes for them during the course of the season.

But what happens if the two backs you have created so much space for are both rookies? Taking it further, what if one is a fifth-round pick and the other an undrafted free agent?

Such is the position of Rams tight end/fullback Cory Harkey.

“We haven’t been out to eat yet but we've been talking about it,” Harkey said, laughing. “We don’t get on them that much about it.”

If the Rams running game continues rolling like it has, maybe it’d be best if Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham came up with a creative way to say thank you, with Harkey at the top of the gift-giving list.

Perhaps lost in the mix of the Rams’ revamped rushing attack is the revelation that Harkey has been since he began playing much more. Sure, the Rams installed Stacy as the starter after the Week 4 debacle against San Francisco but Harkey also became a far more integral cog in the attack in the immediate aftermath of that game as well.

Through the first four weeks, Harkey played a grand total of 11 snaps, mostly at tight end while the Rams pursued packages with more receivers and fewer tight ends.

After coach Jeff Fisher decided his offense needed a new direction, one in which the running game would become more of a focal point, he also decided that one of the directions to take would be directly behind the 6-foot-4, 260-pound Harkey.

Of course, for that to happen, Harkey would have to become more versatile than his usual role as an inline blocker at tight end. Fisher and tight ends coach Rob Boras had Harkey doing some experimental work at fullback during the spring and summer as Lance Kendricks missed time with an injury.

Harkey’s task became turning those practice repetitions at fullback into game-time production, something he hadn't done since his first two years at UCLA. He turned to fellow tight ends such as Kendricks and Mike McNeill, players who have experience doing a little bit of everything, for advice on how to become a more well-rounded player.

“Coach talked to me before all this happened about me doing some stuff out of the backfield but I want the team to be good, I want to be good, I want to be successful,” Harkey said. “So I knew I was going to do whatever I can to help this team win. This has been that role for me.”

That role has continued to expand every week, as Harkey grows more and more comfortable in his new surroundings. He played 38 snaps against Jacksonville just a week after the Rams decided to rev up the running game. In the seven games since that San Francisco loss, Harkey has averaged almost 31 snaps per game.

Cory Harkey (46) has helped pave the way for Zac Stacy's breakout rookie season.

Harkey has still done some work attached to the line of scrimmage as a tight end but he can regularly be seen leading Stacy or Cunningham through the hole and instigating head-on collisions with linebackers and defensive backs. He’s even chipped in six catches for 53 yards and a touchdown though he’s also responsible for three drops.

Adjusting to moving in space and covering up defenders remains a work in progress but evidence of Harkey’s growth was on display last week against Chicago.

Witness Harkey’s big block on Chicago linebacker James Anderson to clear Stacy for an 11-yard gain on the first play from scrimmage. Or Harkey taking on and locking up Bears end Shea McClellin on the edge to lead Stacy for a 35-yard run.

“For me it’s just that and you have got to stay low every play, get a good push on guys,” Harkey said. “You are going against guys who are a little bit more athletic and also strong and big so just having good leverage, good knee bend and being able to bring some pop.

“I’m getting used to it. I think it’s been a good place for me. I am still trying to do everything, in-line blocking and everything. I think they like what I can do back there so it’s been good.”

Indeed the Rams are quite pleased with what Harkey is bringing to the table both in terms of production and intangibles.

“Cory’s done a great job,” Fisher said. “He stepped up when Lance was down. He’s doing a lot of different things. He’s lining up at the tight end position. He’s our move guy at fullback, and he’s really got a good sense for that and feel for that as far as attacking linebackers and DBs.”

Much like his thankless position on the field, Harkey also doesn't get much credit for what he brings to the huddle and locker room, either. The soft-spoken Harkey is always polite and humble in interviews but never strikes you as a fiery leader type.

Quarterback Kellen Clemens said Harkey is actually a bit of a sparkplug for the offense.

“I love Cory Harkey,” Clemens said. “I absolutely do. He’s very versatile. He’s very smart. He’s a very hard worker. You love to play with guys like Cory Harkey. The other thing that he does that I think goes unnoticed sometimes is he brings a lot of energy. He’s kind of a pump-up guy sometimes. He has a very, very unique role on this football team and he fills it and we’re very glad to have him.”

In some ways, Harkey fills a unique but evolving role in the NFL at large. True fullbacks have been headed toward extinction for some time but more and more teams are looking for tight ends with the versatility to do both. Kendricks did a lot of it last year and he still does but Harkey has joined him in their many movements.

Although it’s taken some getting used to and Harkey is still a ways from having mastered the position, he’s got the first requirement of playing fullback down, for he really enjoys high speed collisions.

“It’s pretty fun,” Harkey said. “I like it. I think some of the tight ends will agree that I kind of like that action so it’s good.”
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-01-2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Article
    Randart likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast