Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You make Stacy sound like an impatient girlfriend - commit to him because he deserves it. Seems silly to me. If Stacy's the best 'back, then he'll win the competition. If he's not, then we'll all be glad they had a competition in the first place.
    I don't think we should simply say "here Zac it's all you no-one can dethrone you" but he deserves first crack at it that's for sure.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't think we should simply say "here Zac it's all you no-one can dethrone you"
    That strikes me as rather different from your first page statements about how the least Stacy deserves is a commitment to him and the Rams should let him know he's the #1 and bellcow.

but he deserves first crack at it that's for sure.
    If Zac has shown he's the most talented back, then he'll get first crack at the starting job. Sounds simple to me. What harm does a competition result in, in this situation?
    Randart likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm far more concerned with team rushing yards than I am with who starts or who gets the most carries.
    I would imagine Jeff Fisher agrees with you. I'll digress for a moment; it seems no one gets in a lather when we substitute/rotate players on the D-line. Clearly fresh legs trump tired ones.

In today's NFL a team needs more than one capable back. Not all defenses are the same, and it is great to have some flexibility, the ability to throw a changeup. The term "starter" is becoming more diluted with the exceptions of the O-line, quarterback, and a teams best cornerback.

If Zac has shown he's the most talented back, then he'll get first crack at the starting job. Sounds simple to me. What harm does a competition result in, in this situation?
    Exactly! The object of all the "competition" is ultimately to win games. Put another way, I don't care who starts as long as we WIN!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

That strikes me as rather different from your first page statements about how the least Stacy deserves is a commitment to him and the Rams should let him know he's the #1 and bellcow.

IMO they probably have let Zac know behind close doors "You are our guy. You're going to be our guy. It's your opportunity to lose". Competition doesn't hurt but I don't think it's anywhere near a real competition. Sure, maybe it's a competition, but for the #2 RB spot with Cunningham vs Mason being the players.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

IMO they probably have let Zac know behind close doors "You are our guy. You're going to be our guy. It's your opportunity to lose". Competition doesn't hurt but I don't think it's anywhere near a real competition. Sure, maybe it's a competition, but for the #2 RB spot with Cunningham vs Mason being the players.
    I think this is a very real possibility, and the way I see the situation. Stacy has proven he can play at a very high level in the NFL, Mason has not. IMO, preseason is not a good indicator of what will happen in the regular season, so I think at this point, as sosa said, it's Stacy's job to lose, and unless Mason does some absolutely unreal things with his opportunities, and Stacy falls flat on his face, that isn't going to change.
    sosa39rams likes this.

It would make very little sense, IMO, to tell Stacy that he's the guy only to turn around and tell Mason that he's competing for Stacy's job. I really don't see any point in two very conflicting messages to two young players.

I also don't understand why Stacy has to be coddled here with assurances of job security. He's a former fifth round pick who performed well as a rookie but also struggled with some injury issues while trying to fill that bellcow role. Stacy was impressive as a rookie, but I don't think he did enough in 2013 to completely lock that job down.

Furthermore, I'm glad the Rams are letting Mason know he could take that starting spot if his practice and play warrant it. That's motivation for Mason to work on correcting some weak areas of his game, as well as motivation for Stacy to improve his play as well. That can only be good for the Rams, whereas I really don't know the benefit of silently reassuring Zac that he's their choice while telling Tre something completely different.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have a feeling that the message given to Mason is probably very similar to the one given to Stacy 12 months ago.

I also don't understand why Stacy has to be coddled here with assurances of job security. He's a former fifth round pick who performed well as a rookie but also struggled with some injury issues while trying to fill that bellcow role. Stacy was impressive as a rookie, but I don't think he did enough in 2013 to completely lock that job down.
    You may be right Nick, but Stacy took advantage of his opportunity, and ran with it, literally. IMO, he pretty much carried the offense after Bradford went down and earned the right to the starting job going into this season. Fisher made a point to publicly say he saw Stacy as a "70% of the carries kind of guy", so I'd be surprised if despite all the talk, the Rams haven't told Stacy it's his job to lose.
    RealRam and sosa39rams like this.

RealRam is online now Registered User

The way the Rams OL is shaping up I still think that a healthy Zac Stacy will do fine as our #1 RB, probably better than last year.

Bring Tre Mason into the mix, crank up the running game stats even more. But Zac is the man.

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Hey, with this new line, a few tenths of a second here and there, whomever has first shot may be the bell cow.

Here's to camp fellas. It's time to go to work.
    The break, don't bend offense.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You may be right Nick, but Stacy took advantage of his opportunity, and ran with it, literally. IMO, he pretty much carried the offense after Bradford went down and earned the right to the starting job going into this season. Fisher made a point to publicly say he saw Stacy as a "70% of the carries kind of guy", so I'd be surprised if despite all the talk, the Rams haven't told Stacy it's his job to lose.
    So to believe this, either Tre Mason is lying about what was told to him by Rams coaches or Rams coaches are giving very conflicting messages to two of their young running backs.

Which do you believe is the case, and what would be the purpose behind either Mason lying or the coaching staff giving out mixed signals?

So to believe this, either Tre Mason is lying about what was told to him by Rams coaches or Rams coaches are giving very conflicting messages to two of their young running backs.

Which do you believe is the case, and what would be the purpose behind either Mason lying or the coaching staff giving out mixed signals?
    Just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if the Rams told Mason he'd be competing with Stacy for the starting role. Maybe Mason misunderstood, who knows. I'd also be surprised if they told Stacy he wasn't the starter, and that he'd have to compete to keep his job. Especially after the vote of confidence Fisher publicly made about him.

I doubt we'll hear any clarification from the Rams, so we'll have to see who gets the first team reps, and who starts during the preseason. My guess is it will be Stacy.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I doubt we'll hear any clarification from the Rams, so we'll have to see who gets the first team reps, and who starts during the preseason. My guess is it will be Stacy.
    My guess is it will be Stacy, too, simply based on experience and being the incumbent. However, I really don't think it's as set in stone as others seem to, at least for the long term.

Mason is arguably more talented and versatile with more upside. If he can put it all together, I think he's going to have a hard time staying in the complimentary role. I don't think fans should forget that, at this time last year, Richardson was the presumed starter and Stacy was an afterthought through much of preseason and the first couple of games. Fisher isn't afraid of making changes to go with the hot hand, so this notion that Stacy has earned the job and that squashes the talk seems to fly in the face of recent history.

Comments Fisher made back in March, before Mason was even on the roster, about how Stacy over time will probably be a 70% of the carries guy are notable, sure. Whether or not it still reflects post-draft thinking is up for debate. In February, when Les Snead said Stacy would have more carries in 2014 than he did in 2013, there was no reason to think otherwise because the Rams didn't have much behind him. Now that's changed. Unless Mason pulls a Pead and completely flops, then my bet is Zac's workload won't be quite the same as what people thought it would be back in February and March.

There's also a part of me that wonders if the Rams struck on Mason in the third round in part because of Stacy's durability issues, issues that followed him from college to the NFL level. Going back through Rotoworld's reports on him, just in 2013, Stacy had injuries to his ribs, chest, ankle, a concussion, hip, and a leg tweak. Is he physically going to be able to be that 70% of the carries guy? I'm really not so sure, but we'll have to see.

RealRam is online now Registered User

My guess is it will be Stacy, too, simply based on experience and being the incumbent. However, I really don't think it's as set in stone as others seem to, at least for the long term.

There's also a part of me that wonders if the Rams struck on Mason in the third round in part because of Stacy's durability issues, issues that followed him from college to the NFL level. Going back through Rotoworld's reports on him, just in 2013, Stacy had injuries to his ribs, chest, ankle, a concussion, hip, and a leg tweak. Is he physically going to be able to be that 70% of the carries guy? I'm really not so sure, but we'll have to see.
    Stacy's durability was, unfortunately, an issue. At least in the latter parts of 2013. I hope he'll be back strong but this is where, IMO, Mason - if he survives TC and preseason healthy, could come in at 100% to relief Zac and his potential injury sequelae.

I sure hope there are no lingering effects in 2014 from the injuries you mentioned. I'm rooting for Z!

Mason is arguably more talented and versatile with more upside. If he can put it all together, I think he's going to have a hard time staying in the complimentary role. I don't think fans should forget that, at this time last year, Richardson was the presumed starter and Stacy was an afterthought through much of preseason and the first couple of games. Fisher isn't afraid of making changes to go with the hot hand, so this notion that Stacy has earned the job and that squashes the talk seems to fly in the face of recent history.

Comments Fisher made back in March, before Mason was even on the roster, about how Stacy over time will probably be a 70% of the carries guy are notable, sure. Whether or not it still reflects post-draft thinking is up for debate. In February, when Les Snead said Stacy would have more carries in 2014 than he did in 2013, there was no reason to think otherwise because the Rams didn't have much behind him. Now that's changed. Unless Mason pulls a Pead and completely flops, then my bet is Zac's workload won't be quite the same as what people thought it would be back in February and March.

There really is no starting position set in stone, there is always a chance that someone will be so impressive, a change is made. Could Mason light it up and take the starting role? Sure he could. As far as being told he would be competing to supplant Stacy as the starter, I just don't see it. If anything, he was probably told he'd be competing without limits in the general sense, as most players are probably told. One thing Fisher is big on, is competition. We'll see if he comments on what Mason said, and I'll bet if he does, he'll say something like, "Every player competes for a starting role", or something along those lines.

As far as Stacy's durability, despite getting dinged up a few times, he never missed a start after week 5. He missed a few quarters here and there, but gutted it out and always came to play. I'll bet he played hurt most of last year, and he looked damned impressive to me doing it. And I'm not sure Fisher would make a comment about Stacy being a 70% of the carries guy if he had concerns about his ability to stay healthy. Again, just my opinion.
    RealRam likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast