Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Tre Mason: Coaches Said I'll Compete To Start

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    There really is no starting position set in stone, there is always a chance that someone will be so impressive, a change is made. Could Mason light it up and take the starting role? Sure he could. As far as being told he would be competing to supplant Stacy as the starter, I just don't see it. If anything, he was probably told he'd be competing without limits in the general sense, as most players are probably told. One thing Fisher is big on, is competition. We'll see if he comments on what Mason said, and I'll bet if he does, he'll say something like, "Every player competes for a starting role", or something along those lines.
    I really doubt that most players are specifically told they're competing when they're brought in. That seems kind of obvious, no? How many players are drafted or signed by a team with the intention of them not competing?

I would find it kind of silly for Mason to have been specifically told this, and then he misinterpreted it. I think, by this level of football, players would know the difference between competing in general and competing for a big role like a starting position.

As far as Stacy's durability, despite getting dinged up a few times, he never missed a start after week 5. He missed a few quarters here and there, but gutted it out and always came to play. I'll bet he played hurt most of last year, and he looked damned impressive to me doing it. And I'm not sure Fisher would make a comment about Stacy being a 70% of the carries guy if he had concerns about his ability to stay healthy. Again, just my opinion.
    That's great that he didn't miss a game, but that doesn't change the concern. There's a school of thought that, had Stacy been healthy, the Rams would have had a great chance to win their first game against the Seahawks because they could have just pounded him in from the one yard line rather than go shotgun with Clemens.

We're getting kind of off-track here, but while I liked what Stacy showed in 2013, I wasn't as "damned impressed" as you were. His YPC averages, for instance, were pretty underwhelming for me. Maybe improvements along the line help that, but I wouldn't be shocked if Mason wins this job within the next two seasons, especially if Stacy is out due to injury.

Then again, it will also mean Mason making improvements in his game. You don't see a lot of time given to running backs who don't pass protect well, so he's going to have to work for it and then take advantage of an opportunity, whether that's a competition now or time later.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I really doubt that most players are specifically told they're competing when they're brought in. That seems kind of obvious, no? How many players are drafted or signed by a team with the intention of them not competing?

I would find it kind of silly for Mason to have been specifically told this, and then he misinterpreted it. I think, by this level of football, players would know the difference between competing in general and competing for a big role like a starting position.
    We'll see. I still think Mason got the wrong idea. The guy certainly likes to pop off, recently saying all he needed was 10 carries to get 100 yards in the NFL.

And I would ask this, does it make sense to tell Stacy, after the impact he made in 2013 as the starter, "Hey Zac, great job last year, but you're going right back to square one, and have to compete with Tre Mason for the starting job? I just don't see it.

Hopefully, Fisher will clear it all up for us.

That's great that he didn't miss a game, but that doesn't change the concern.
    Well, it sure doesn't sound like Fisher has that concern. Does it make sense to say, "he's a 70% of the carries guy", after Stacy had these "injury concerns" last year, with no caveats? It doesn't to me.
    sosa39rams and Randart like this.

And I would ask this, does it make sense to tell Stacy, after the impact he made in 2013 as the starter, "Hey Zac, great job last year, but you're going right back to square one, and have to compete with Tre Mason for the starting job? I just don't see it.
    I think it absolutely could make sense, if phrased in a manner that wasn't obviously slanted to support your point.

Well, it sure doesn't sound like Fisher has that concern. Does it make sense to say, "he's a 70% of the carries guy", after Stacy had these "injury concerns" last year, with no caveats? It doesn't to me.
    That's not exactly what he said, though. He said, and I'm quoting the tweet here, "I think over time, he'll probably be that 70-percent of the carries guy."

Supportive, yes. But definite? Hardly.

At least not to such a degree that I would conclude/assume Fisher has zero concerns about Stacy's durability moving forward or thinks the book is closed in terms of someone eating into that workload if not challenging for the job. Fisher knows he needs talent at the position besides Zac, talent that can step in if Zac is hurt (see: Chicago 2013). If that talent is of a high enough level to push Zac for the starting job, all the better. I don't know why fans are suddenly afraid of competition at this position; surely Zac can handle it, and if he can't, better to find out now.

I'll put it this way: I'm just not sure an organization spends a third round pick in an incredibly deep draft on a running back if they're locked in on being one of the few teams remaining in the NFL with a workhorse eating up 70% of the carries. Nick Wagoner echoed my sentiments about this a few weeks ago in a chat, when asked about his expectations for Mason: "I expect Mason to be nipping at the heels of Stacy for carries and handle the No. 2 role. I also wouldn't be surprised if he usurped Stacy at some point, especially if Stacy struggles with nagging injuries again."

I think it absolutely could make sense, if phrased in a manner that wasn't obviously slanted to support your point.
    Where's the slant? If the Rams flat out told Mason he would be competing for the starting job, doesn't that mean Stacy is doing the same? You can't have one without the other. Stacy is either the starter going into 2014, or he's not, and the job is up for grabs.

That's not exactly what he said, though. He said, and I'm quoting the tweet here, "I think over time, he'll probably be that 70-percent of the carries guy."

Supportive, yes. But definite? Hardly.
    Is anything definite? IMO, the statement doesn't jibe with any injury concerns. We're talking a few dings in a single year. If Stacy has more injuries this year, maybe concerns are legitimate, but until that actually happens, they are not.

I don't know why fans are suddenly afraid of competition at this position; surely Zac can handle it, and if he can't, better to find out now.
    I have pretty much said the same things in other posts (minus the afraid part), but competition isn't the issue, at least for me. The issue is whether the Rams told Mason that he will flat out be competing for the starting job, implying Stacy is not the starter, and it's an open competition. Time will tell if I'm dead wrong on this, but right now, I don't see the Rams telling Mason that, in the context he presented.

Where's the slant? If the Rams flat out told Mason he would be competing for the starting job, doesn't that mean Stacy is doing the same? You can't have one without the other. Stacy is either the starter going into 2014, or he's not, and the job is up for grabs.
    The response was meant to be playful rather than to start a semantics debate, but I think telling Stacy he'd be going back to square one is an exaggerated way of presenting that to make it seem even more demoralizing than it actually is.

If Stacy has more injuries this year, maybe concerns are legitimate, but until that actually happens, they are not.
    Couldn't disagree more. As I already pointed out, durability issues date back to his time in college. He missed five games in his first two seasons due to injuries, and had his effectiveness hindered significantly in in other contests (three game stretch in 2012, for example) at VU for the same reason.

To say the concerns aren't legitimate at this point flies in the face of Stacy's own history. Of his five combined years of college and pro football, he's dealt with injury issues that have caused him to miss time on the field in four of them. That can't be ignored.

The issue is whether the Rams told Mason that he will flat out be competing for the starting job, implying Stacy is not the starter, and it's an open competition.
    And that's something we'll likely never know, as we weren't privy to the comments and they probably won't be expanded on. However, I really hope that in such a deep draft, Fisher and company didn't make their Brian Leonard pick and draft a Day 2 running back solely for limited change of pace/back-up duties.
    Last edited by Nick; -06-04-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Everything I have read indicates the Tre draft pick was not a calculated pick by the Rams. The Rams did not view Zac as a health risk and go out and get a RB high in the draft to due to him being nicked up. In fact most fans thought the health of Sam would cause the Rams to take a QB higher in the draft. The bottom line is he was just to much of a value pick. He was to good to pass up. Fisher said prior to the draft the Zac is a 70% guy, I believe he meant it. Having said that having Tre fall in their laps in the third RD changes things a bit. If he is clearly a better option he will start over Zac IMO. If he can complement Zac maybe we see a 50 -50 split. If he needs some time to work on short comings maybe we don't see him all that much.

By Nick Wagoner
    Not that the Rams couldn't use another back, but the selection of Auburn running back Tre Mason with the 75th overall pick was a prime example of the prism through which the team now views itself. Almost since arrival, Fisher, Snead and most others associated with the Rams quietly held to the idea that 2014 would be the team's breakthrough season.

That vow moved closer to a promise this offseason as the previously silent notion became an open discussion. A mostly inactive free-agent period offered one clue that the Rams believe the current roster is close to taking the next step.

The first three rounds of this draft has offered more evidence.

With other positions of more clear need available to them with the 75th pick, the Rams selected Mason to add to a backfield in which Zac Stacy, the team's leading rusher a year ago, already resides.

When asked why the Rams opted for Mason with the third-round choice, Fisher offered a telling response in making it clear that Mason was too much value to turn down.

"That was the nature of the pick," Fisher said. "That's where we are right now is we just couldn't pass him up."
    Most surprising move: Spending a third-round pick on running back Tre Mason. This isn't to say the Rams didn't need help at the position. Starter Zac Stacy has had issues with minor injuries costing him a series here or a quarter there. Benny Cunningham has flashed potential, but the sample size is small. This isn't anything against Mason, who is a good back with outstanding college production. It's just more of a surprise that the team went with a back with more pressing needs to be filled. The Rams insist Mason was too much value to resist, but it's fair to wonder whether they could have waited to get a back capable of contributing. After all, they landed Stacy in the fifth round a year ago.
    Outlook: Adding Mason in the third round came as a bit of a surprise but the Rams valued him enough to view him as a potential steal at that point in the draft. Adding Mason should make the Rams' stable of backs that much better and give them more options if Stacy struggles. It appears the trio of Stacy, Mason and Cunningham are set to hold their jobs for the foreseeable future while Pead and Reynolds battle for one spot though the Rams could keep both if they choose. Undrafted rookies Jones and Watts have an uphill climb to make it though they could theoretically win over special-teams coach John Fassel to fill a role projected for Pead or Reynolds.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

So, to sum up....

Stacy... good.

Stacy + Mason.... better.
    Rambos and citr92 like this.

The response was meant to be playful rather than to start a semantics debate, but I think telling Stacy he'd be going back to square one is an exaggerated way of presenting that to make it seem even more demoralizing than it actually is.
    I guess it could be sugar coated in some way, but the meaning is still the same. Mason being specifically told he would compete for the starting role at running back means there is an open competition, and Stacy is not the starter. That's IF Mason was specifically told that.

Couldn't disagree more. As I already pointed out, durability issues date back to his time in college. He missed five games in his first two seasons due to injuries, and had his effectiveness hindered significantly in in other contests (three game stretch in 2012, for example) at VU for the same reason.

To say the concerns aren't legitimate at this point flies in the face of Stacy's own history. Of his five combined years of college and pro football, he's dealt with injury issues that have caused him to miss time on the field in four of them. That can't be ignored.
    Regardless, the fact is, he has not missed a single game in his NFL career (albeit short career) because of injury. Until he does, I don't see any real injury concerns. And I certainly wouldn't prognosticate him being a "70% of the carries guy" if I had those concerns.

And that's something we'll likely never know, as we weren't privy to the comments and they probably won't be expanded on.
    Again, we'll see. Fisher is no doubt going to be asked about it, and it will be interesting to hear if he downplays it, or says Mason was indeed told he would be competing for the starting role.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So, to sum up....

Stacy... good.

Stacy + Mason.... better.
    If Mason is all he cracks himself up to be, I couldn't agree more.

In an interview on NFL Network (video posted in Fisher on Bradford thread), Fisher was asked if any rookies caught his eye, and after saying "They all did", he included these general, unspecific comments, before quickly moving on to another thought :

"Really happy with Tre Mason for that matter, and watching what he's been able to do out of the backfield, his run skills....competition at the running back position....".

Again, no specifics on the context of the competition at running back, but it's probably only a matter of time before he's asked directly about it.

Regardless, the fact is, he has not missed a single game in his NFL career (albeit short career) because of injury. Until he does, I don't see any real injury concerns.
    And I don't see us finding any middle ground or moving forward in this debate if you can't acknowledge that a player who has missed time in four of the last five years has injury concerns. So, we can agree to disagree.

And I don't see us finding any middle ground or moving forward in this debate if you can't acknowledge that a player who has missed time in four of the last five years has injury concerns. So, we can agree to disagree.
    Fair enough. If anything, this discussion dispels the notion that mods always stick together in debates and collude to "get" those they disagree with.
    RealRam and Nick like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Fair enough. If anything, this discussion dispels the notion that mods always stick together in debates and collude to "get" those they disagree with.
    I've always thought that you two were both off your rockers.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -06-04-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    Nick and r8rh8rmike like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Any team that drafts a player in the 3rd round with the idea he can't possibly be a starter is doing things wrong. You play the best player and if Tre beats out Zac in camp and preseason, he gets the starting job.

If Gilbert outplays Bradford in camp and preseason and is obviously a better QB, he will be given the opportunity. Nobody on this roster is beyond being benched for a better starter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234