Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Trent Dilfer shows Bradford respect, earns mine

I have to give Trent Dilfer credit. He ripped the Rams' selection of Sam Bradford and declared him unqualified to start as a rookie.

After four games, he's admitted he was wrong:

Countdown Daily: Bradford Better Than Expected - ESPN Video - ESPN

Its rare for a commentator to acknowledge, much less admit, his mistakes, so... nice job, Trent!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Trent Dilfer shows Bradford respect, earns mine

I've never been a big fan of Dilfer. I am truly amazed after watching this clip - Trent has earned my respect .. Great find Av! ..

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I guess you have to acknowledge a guy admitting he was mistaken, but eventually Dilfer would have been called out on TV for his very public, negative comments on Bradford and he would have had no choice but to admit being dead wrong. So I don't look at this as any kind of wonderful act of contrition, I look at it as an effort to save face before Bradford REALLY makes him look ridiculous.

MACD is offline Registered User

^^^^ this.

Last April when he called out Bradford, he also said Tebow was the most ready to play in the NFL, and Clausen and McCoy were ahead of Bradford. Serious judgement errors. I haven't been able to respect anything he says since. He also had conflicts of interest being associated with McCoy's agent.
    Last edited by MACD; -10-05-2010 at 07:24 AM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Seriously hated Trent Dilfer before a week ago. Then I heard him on Colin Cowherd's show, and fell in love with the guy. First off he blasted Colin on his own show as soon as he came on, then he totally ripped Hartley and Janikoski for missing chip shots for the win. This video makes me like him even more. ESPN should have him on every show! Oh wait they already do!

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I still am not a huge fan of Dilfer. It take alot to admit you were wrong, but in the end he was very wrong. I also recall him saying Colt McCoy was the best QB prospect of this draft...

shower beers is offline Registered User

It's rare when media types admit their mistakes. So many make rash, bold predictions simply to stand out, then when wrong forget it ever happened. I can't say I like Dilfer and his enormous head just yet, but he has earned my respect for this.

Widescreen is offline Registered User

Well, he apologized but his analysis is wrong. Sam did many of those things in college but Dilfer continues to make it sound like he didn't - just that Sam has acquired all these new skills in some miraculous way. I'm surprised he didn't try to claim (like everyone else seems to) that Sam has learned how to play from under center. Sam himself has said he spent more than 50% of his time under center at OU - particularly during his freshman year.

There's no doubt Sam has improved dramatically since college but Dilfer sounds like he's saying "how was I supposed to know he'd be any good? He didn't show anything in college" which is false.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

the only reason trent dilfer is even relevant is because he was a mediocre game manager on one of the best defenses ever assembled. it's almost a backhanded compliment considering he questioned the fact bradford wasnt reading coverages in college despite throwing at a 5 td to 1 int ratio as a frosh and sophomore.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't try to claim (like everyone else seems to) that Sam has learned how to play from under center. Sam himself has said he spent more than 50% of his time under center at OU - particularly during his freshman year.
    If we're thinking of the same quote, he was talking specifically about his freshman year ("My first year at Oklahoma, the first year that I played, we were under center more than 50 percent of the time."). He said in a Rams chat that the percentage dropped in his sophomore year to "probably around 30 to 35 percent." A pre-draft ESPN analysis of the top four QB prospects of 2010 revealed Bradford only attempted one pass from under center in limited time in 2009.

Furthermore, here's another guy who seemed to think taking snaps from under center was an adjustment worthy enough to mention...

Spagnuolo has said that this composure may be Bradford's best hidden asset. "The one thing about Sammy is that he's very steady; he doesn't let too much bother him. He's a fierce competitor and he will get frustrated, but he seems to move on and away from the frustration pretty quickly. Taking a snap from center was new; he ran a lot of shotgun in college. He was learning his teammates and the speed of the NFL. It was kind of gradual for him, but it was evident as he progressed through preseason games two, three and four, that he was playing pretty solid and the guys around him were responding to him."
    If people are claiming he never did it in college, they're wrong. But if they're claiming it would be an adjustment for him at the pro level, I think it's a valid point, one he didn't exactly dispel when he had some exchange issues in the preseason.

Anyways, getting back to the Dilfer video, I think Sam's play so far has caused a number of us who were hesitant about Sam at draft time to eat our words, and no one is happier about that than me. He's really coming along well and has shown everyone why the Rams made him the first overall pick. Watching him on the field, he's poised and in command. He looks better than most rookie quarterbacks do when they're thrown in the water, and should be poised for a great career.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I guess you have to acknowledge a guy admitting he was mistaken, but eventually Dilfer would have been called out on TV for his very public, negative comments on Bradford and he would have had no choice but to admit being dead wrong. So I don't look at this as any kind of wonderful act of contrition, I look at it as an effort to save face before Bradford REALLY makes him look ridiculous.
    I agree with you how much longer could he stand by his draft statement. I wonder now if Mel Kiper will amit he was the right pick, I think he was harder on Bradford selection.
    :ramlogo:

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I still dont like him and find it hard to believe that they have him running analysis on QB's. How would Trent Dilfer know what it takes to be a great QB?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

You know it was just one mans opinion. He is afterall entitled to his opinion even if he is dead wrong.

Go back to sleep Dilfer!

GO RAMS!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I still dont like him and find it hard to believe that they have him running analysis on QB's. How would Trent Dilfer know what it takes to be a great QB?
    I had a tennis teacher in HS that often wore a teeshirt (I think one of the students had it made for her) that said the following.

"If you can't do it, coach it."

gap

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Anyways, getting back to the Dilfer video, I think Sam's play so far has caused a number of us who were hesitant about Sam at draft time to eat our words, and no one is happier about that than me. He's really coming along well and has shown everyone why the Rams made him the first overall pick. Watching him on the field, he's poised and in command. He looks better than most rookie quarterbacks do when they're thrown in the water, and should be poised for a great career.
    Spot on! I never dreamed Sam would have the impact he's had so quickly, as I figured he'd need at least a year to really contribute. His level of play as a rookie is truly astonishing. Sam appears to have the entire team and coaching staff believing in him - believing they can win and win now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast