• 3 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By RebelYell
  • 3 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By macrammer

Thread: Troy Aikman vs Sam Bradford

Rambos is offline Registered User

Troy Aikman vs Sam Bradford

When Sam was drafted there where a lot of people that said his skill sets where very similar to Aikman. After four years, it’s interesting to see just how close they are in their progression number wise. Both these guys went to really bad teams. Both teams made history making trades to rebuild their rosters. One team built a great football team with the extra picks the other is yet to be determined.

First four years Aikman played 54 games. Sam has played 49 games over the same period.

Troy Aikman Stats
    CMP% 59.65 YDS 10,527 AVG 6.8 TD 54 INTS 60 RAT 74.62

Sam Bradford
    CMP% 58.6 YDS 11,065 AVG 6.2 TD 59 INTS 38 RAT 79.3

In Aikman's fifth year the Cowboys won the SB but it’s interesting to see the numbers from HOFer Aikman where nothing to write home about on the way to the SB. In fact if Bradford puts up these numbers this year most would want him replaced calling him bust. Troy had 3100 yards, 15 TDs and 6 INTs. It should be noted that Troy only played 14 games in fact in the first five years Aikman only played 16 games one time. In his 12-year career he only played all 16 games three times.

The question is did Les and Fisher build a winning team around a QB that was already here? Only time will tell. This year I expect the defense to lead this team into the playoffs. Sam will only need to do what he has already done keep paces with a HOFer like Troy Aikman.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Troy Aikman vs Sam Bradford

Only time will tell if Sam has a HOF RB, WR, TE and OL. I think the Rams are on the way to building a winner but I don't know if there is that elite level of talent surrounding our QB.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The only stat that will change opinions is:
    In years 4 and 5, Aikman went 6-0 in the playoffs.
    Bradford so far hasn't gotten there.

If Aikman had played for the Seahawks for his career, he likely isn't in the Hall of Fame. He only threw more than 20 TDs once in his career.

If Bradford puts up his 2012 stats in 2014 and the Rams make the playoffs - people will deem he improved.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Back when Rams drafted Sam, I personally felt we were at a point as an organization where the "elite" QB drafting was very premature. The team was fraught with so many holes and drafts gone bad, Sam was put in a very tough spot. Now, here we are, on the brink if his fifth year. He has matured as a person and as a QB. It is time for him to take the talent that is there and together with those guy's, make something special happen. The spotlight is on him. I for one, really like Sam.....from his interviews and the way he keeps his nose clean. Seems like a good guy. But I like the Rams a whole lot more. Time for Sam to shine on the way to a WINNING season record.
    Randart likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    The only stat that will change opinions is:
    In years 4 and 5, Aikman went 6-0 in the playoffs.
    Bradford so far hasn't gotten there.

If Aikman had played for the Seahawks for his career, he likely isn't in the Hall of Fame. He only threw more than 20 TDs once in his career.

If Bradford puts up his 2012 stats in 2014 and the Rams make the playoffs - people will deem he improved.
    I agree that's a fact. But lets keep in mind that the Cowboys already had HOFer Michael Irvin on the roster the year before they drafted Troy. The year after they drafted Troy they added another HOFer Emmitt Smith in year three. Now factor in the trade they made happen in 1989 in week four of Troy's rookie year, stacked them will picks.

I would guess that if Sam had Bruce on the roster and then we added Marshall Faulk in Sam's third year we would have made the playoffs last year and we would be ready to make a real run at the SB this year.

The question is will the supporting cast play well enough to allow Sam to stay with the Rams? The way we are building this team it's clear that Sam will not be asked to throw the ball 45-50 times to win football games.

If Bradford puts up his 2012 stats in 2014 and the Rams make the playoffs - people will deem he improved That's the perception that a winning record will do. If he has big time numbers and we don't make the playoffs he's still going to have a big question mark.
    r8rh8rmike, Varg6 and Bar-bq like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Neil Lomax was a very solid QB on a horrible team. I remember people complaining that he wasn't good enough to win. Wrong.

Is Andy Dalton better than Sam Bradford? Dalton has taken the Bengals to the playoffs each year.
    Is Joe Flacco better than Bradford?

Fair or not, getting to the playoffs and winning them dictates perception more than stats. Phillip Rivers rarely gets to the playoffs while Rothlesburger has routinely. Which is better?

If Sam puts up similar numbers but the TEAM doesn't improve, he'll be under the gun. Even this year people were demanding the team draft a real backup QB with solid potential to develop. If Bradford is your guy, you don't go get a QB in the 3rd round. Next year, that might happen.
    Rambos and SimSportPl like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

WR: Michael Irvin/Alvin Harper vs Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum
    TE: Jay Novacheck vs Justin Cook
    RB: Emmitt Smith vs apparently rotation

OL: Tuinei(from my school)/Allen/Williams/Newton vs enee, menee, minee, and moe
    just to name a few

I think that sums it up

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Neil Lomax was a very solid QB on a horrible team. I remember people complaining that he wasn't good enough to win. Wrong.

Is Andy Dalton better than Sam Bradford? Dalton has taken the Bengals to the playoffs each year.
    Is Joe Flacco better than Bradford?

Fair or not, getting to the playoffs and winning them dictates perception more than stats. Phillip Rivers rarely gets to the playoffs while Rothlesburger has routinely. Which is better?

If Sam puts up similar numbers but the TEAM doesn't improve, he'll be under the gun. Even this year people were demanding the team draft a real backup QB with solid potential to develop. If Bradford is your guy, you don't go get a QB in the 3rd round. Next year, that might happen.

I would take those 2 to lead the Rams over Bradford. Its the want/ desire, and will to win, not just the physical tools.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    I would guess that if Sam had Bruce on the roster and then we added Marshall Faulk in Sam's third year we would have made the playoffs last year and we would be ready to make a real run at the SB this year.
    Good point. And a line stacked with All-Pros doesn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I would take those 2 to lead the Rams over Bradford. Its the want/ desire, and will to win, not just the physical tools.
    You don't think Bradford has the will or desire to win? Did you see the first Arizona game last year where he led a double digit 4th quarter comeback win? Or the Atlanta game where he threw 3 second half TD's, 2 in the 4th, to mount a furious comeback that just fell short? I think it's fair to question Bradford based on the teams W/L record, but to question his resolve to win? That's simply unsubstantiated opinion, based on nothing more than perception. If you want to know what kind of competitor Bradford is, ask his teammates.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

In the cases of Joe Flacco and Andy Dalton you're rating QB's who had defenses that paved the way for them. I'm not saying that they're bad QB's but I can't say that either is much better than Sam Bradford. Yes, each has gone to the post-season, but if it weren't for a safety's miscalculation on Denver, Flacco may have lost the game and never gotten to the Super Bowl and Dalton has yet to win beyond the regular season. Those 2 QB's are hardly the benchmark for excellence in my opinion.

I'm looking for Sam to put the critics to sleep this year with a solid year where he shows his skills are better than many think.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    In the cases of Joe Flacco and Andy Dalton you're rating QB's who had defenses that paved the way for them. I'm not saying that they're bad QB's but I can't say that either is much better than Sam Bradford. Yes, each has gone to the post-season, but if it weren't for a safety's miscalculation on Denver, Flacco may have lost the game and never gotten to the Super Bowl and Dalton has yet to win beyond the regular season. Those 2 QB's are hardly the benchmark for excellence in my opinion.

Go Rams!
    for certain those two mentioned are not the cornerstone for excellence at the QB position. Neither btw, were drafted first in their respective draft class. Sam himself has not inspired most (not all)to feel his is anything but middle of the pack.

IMHO, he will never be a Peyton, Favre, Montana, Warner etc.....BUT he has the skills and brains to be a top 10 QB in the NFL. He needs to stay healthy. He needs to be the unquestioned leader of the Rams. And, he needs to make those around him better as well. I see the last two points being accomplished this next year. If he is injured again, the writing will be on the wall IMO.
    mde8352gorams likes this.