Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Tru Johnson Arrested for Drunk Driving

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    He called Jenkins to come pick him up. But JJ said he couldn't drive cause he was high as a kite!!!

(That one's for you Vegas.)
    I can always count on you. ;-)

I wonder how many of y'all have ever been to Missoula.
    Personally, I get a little tired of the guilty until proven innocent, zero tolerance attitude espoused by everyone.
    Why don't we catch our breath and see how it shakes out.
    Just sayin'.

That said, he's probably guilty, but don't most $100,000 plus cars have automatic headlights?
    Last edited by Nick; -03-22-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Tru Johnson Arrested for Drunk Driving

Well, when you take some chances on guys with less than squeaky clean character reputations, you're bound to get bitten at some point. Hopefully Johnson has learned his lesson and this will be put behind him.
    RealRam likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Absolutely!
    Always a shame, always a shaking of the head of many people that wonder if this kind of incident HAS to be so common! Is it poor parenting? Or the avalanche - type of influence from advertising upon immature youngsters and immature older aduts; perhaps a stupid lack of discipline to "drink responsibly" ... or 'other' reasons. Yes, 'other' reasons will always be there, for sure.

Some people, young and old, turn to alcohol or other drugs from a legitimate disorder, a mental disorder that associates them to depression and drinking. [I suffer from serious, clinical depression; I have never, ever taken alcohol or illegal drugs to self medicate (I curse alcoholic beverages)]. But so may youngsters turn to beer and booze too soon, too easily. Too foolishly.
    =0&Q=80[/IMG]
    As somebody who has made this mistake, I can tell you it's an easy one to make.

In my case, it wasn't due to poor parenting, or advertising or anything other than it bolining down to me making a dumb decision, assuming I was right to drive when I wasn't.

I was pulled over for a random breath test and I blew .08 - above the legal limit of .05 here in Australia. I waited after drinking, and I didn't drink to excess. I didn't eat dinner and I think that's what got me. I felt sober, and I made the call to drive. I wasn't and I shouldn't have.

It's obviously a dumb thing to do. Your judgement is impaired. I'm happy to front up to it - it was my mistake and I had to deal with it. While I have sympathy for those in similar circumstances - as I assume Tru is given the details - at the end of the day the safest and best course of action, obviously, is to call a cab. I'll never do it again.
    RealRam, Nick, MauiRam and 2 others like this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

There is really no more to comment about these NFL DUIs. Unnecessary, everyone of them.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

This makes me so angry, having friends who have made the mistake gotten in accidents and hurt others and themselves. They were lucky they weren't killed or killed someone else. Their's no excuse. In my opinion this is a disease. Some people struggle with just saying no. Just call a bloody cab.

If I were Fish, I would sit him down and hear his side of the story. I would then tell him if it happens again he's cut. I would tell him such behaviour is just making a decision to be responsible and as such they are constantly under the microscope and are regarded as role models for young America. They cannot and should not be irresponsible, they should take this blessing that came from god and use it as a platform to do good. That being a player in the n.f.l. Is a privilege.
    RealRam likes this.

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    There aren't a lot of details, but a felony DUI usually requires an injury or death, high blood alcohol level, or repeat offense. I'm assuming none of those applied to Johnson.

ESPN reported this:
    Police detective Travis Welsh tells KECI-TV that Johnson was pulled over shortly after 2 a.m. for driving without his headlights. He refused a breath test.

Did anyone else read this post? Nowhere does it say he was driving drunk. It only says he refused a test. He was caught driving without his headlights on. If he is the type to not like being pushed around by abusive authority (unfortunately this covers a large quantity of law enforcement), he might have refused the test because he was clearly not drunk, and wanted to take a stand.

Now, I realize that he could also refuse if he was drunk, and hoped to be "sober" when a mandatory test was required, but he is innocent until a test proves he was drunk.

I used to drive a truck over the road. I was once in a minor fender bender, and I was presented with a cup. At first I refused because I was insulted. I was also pissed that the car that caused the accident wasn't presented with a cup. I did relent when I was told I would be taken to jail and charged with a DUI, but that didn't make me any less pissed that I was singled out because of my occupation. Had I had the resources that TJ has, I would have dared the cop to falsely charge me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    If I were Fish, I would sit him down and hear his side of the story. I would then tell him if it happens again he's cut. I would tell him such behaviour is just making a decision to be responsible and as such they are constantly under the microscope and are regarded as role models for young America. They cannot and should not be irresponsible, they should take this blessing that came from god and use it as a platform to do good. That being a player in the n.f.l. Is a privilege.
    I am not sure the RAMS could cut him without a CAP hit. If TJ is guilty, and he does this again, the best form of punishment (assuming a potential CAP hit) would be to keep him on the roster, but list him as a gameday inactive thoughout the season.

gap
    Last edited by gap; -03-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    lostsoul likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

He was driving without headlights on at 2 AM? Does no one else find this to be the craziest part of this story??

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

All I can say is that Johnson's troubles are just starting...Fisher doesn't take lightly such goings on and has (recently) lowered a heavy hand on players who misbehave...and there is the league. This DUI maybe more expensive the Johnson can ever imagine. Personally, if the Rams and the league get all sorts of medeval on Johnson, by all means do so!

Here in Montana, drunk driving is the greatest cause of death and injury on highways and roads

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    He was driving without headlights on at 2 AM? Does no one else find this to be the craziest part of this story??
    I used to do this all the time, on full moon nights, just to see how well I could maintain my lane without headlights.

Another possibility is he may have been in town, and didn't realize his lights were off. I couldn't count the times I pulled out of a brightly lit area, into a fairly well lit street, and didn't realize my lights were off.

gap
    lostsoul likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    "Rams corner Trumaine Johnson, who played at U. of Montana, arrested for drunk driving in Missoula, Montana, per http://KPAX.com"
    "Johnson booked into Missoula County jail at 3:05 a.m. Fri according to http://KPAX.com . Released after posting $700 bond 1 hour later"
    "It was a misdeameanor charge."
    - Jim Thomas
    And, Trent Richardson arrested for assault. I guess the four-pillars have become the one-legged-stool, which rhymes with 'tool' of course and we might have two of em on our hands!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    And, Trent Richardson arrested for assault. I guess the four-pillars have become the one-legged-stool, which rhymes with 'tool' of course and we might have two of em on our hands!
    Trent Richardson charged with assault??

Wow, I guess it's a good thing we didn't draft him like the Browns did!

I wonder if Daryl "I play for the Rams and don't have an assault charge" Richardson knows about this?
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-23-2013 at 06:55 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 and Dwight Frye like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    I wonder if Canuck knows anything.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RealRam is offline Registered User

This isn't good but overall it doesn't really matter. People will forget about this when another player gets a DWI next week. Jmk321
    Unfortunately, yes, odds do favor this mistake to reoccur.

Would it be counted as a 'silver lining', I wonder, that with every DUI charged among NFL players (professional athletes in general) fewer and fewer of these incidents will happen.

Would that be too naive a thought, unrealistic? The NFL has been proactive in helping its rookies and veterans watch for possible pitfalls in their behavior and I would think this effort has yielded positive results -- there must be a stats sheet on DUIs, DUII, DWI, Field Sobriety Tests, etc. over the years.

Surely the NFL Player's Association is also educating on this matter and perhaps castigating when a member violates the rules or forgets the lessons learned in class (keeping track of the blood alcohol content must be difficult, far more than counting calories to lose weight)! How sad that so much emphasis must be placed on player behavior; it is nothing new but it has most definitely been on the increase decade after decade as a result of drug-related crimes, whether they're misdemeanor or serious.

Tru J should come out of this one a little more mature and a bit smarter with the support of his team and the NFL, fine inclusive.

Happens every offseason multiple times and you hope it aint a Ram. Sadly it is... -- Rammed
    Yes, again it is unfortunate. No team is exempt from this pseudo 'normal' situation.

How I wish that for every DWI -- from people in general, not only in the sports or celebrities world -- some kind of hefty punitive charge would also be placed on those $$humongous$$ alcoholic beverage companies! And then be obligated to give that money to good causes.

It may be a utopian measure but ... also less hype and fomenting of booze?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tru Johnson Arrested for Drunk Driving-1-alcholism.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-24-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Booze

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

This is so dumb how a persons 1st DWI can be made out to be a serious case. IMO I don't see how anyone flips their lid over something so trivial as DWI.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    This is so dumb how a persons 1st DWI can be made out to be a serious case. IMO I don't see how anyone flips their lid over something so trivial as DWI.
    It may not be a "serious case" today but why not nip it in the bud and make sure TJ gets the point now rather than waiting for his 2nd or 3rd DWI? These infractions could lead to some very, very nasty consequences further ahead if not discussed seriously with the culprit. I suppose that's why they're called red flags. Hopefully young Tru does learn from this early blunder.

IMO, Coach Fisher and the NFL won't take this as being 'so trivial'.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast