Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By QUINNtessentialTruth
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Trumaine Johnson

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Trumaine Johnson

As I see the build of this kid and his highlights and what he has done in college. I have a very good feeling that Fisher drafted him so we can switch him to safety. What do you guys think? With Finnegan and Jenkins manning the starting CB positions. I think we need to let Trumaine compete for the starting SS job as well in camp. And gradually have him as our starting SS. Leaving Fletcher the position of Nickelback. I don't know if this issue has already been discussed, but I really see this kid as more of a S than CB.
    live4ramin likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Trumaine Johnson

I think recent history has taught us that you can never have too many cornerbacks, so I suspect he'll stay there for the time being.

The Rams' current depth at cornerback isn't awe-inspiring; Trumaine should be right in the mix to compete for nickel or dime duties considering Fletcher is the only really established player from the previous regime and he's coming off of his second serious knee injury.

If over the course of a season or two the Rams feel they have acceptable depth at the position without Trumaine factoring into that projection, then he may get a shot at safety if the opportunities there are better. But I wouldn't do it now until the current personnel has proven that the team should be comfortable with them in terms of being regular contributors.
    MauiRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I agree to start off there needs to be competition. I think we should see to him switching over season though, especially if Fletcher is good enough at nickelback
    Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -07-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I'm surprised people haven't talked about this more but there is a possibility that Finnegan plays in the Nickle. Last season he was a beast for the Titans playing a lot of his snaps in the Nickle spot. If Fletcher/Jenkins/Johnson can show the ability to play on the outside I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Finnegan in the nickle, especially considering his size.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I'm hesitant to move a top talent at corner, who only really slipped in the draft due to off-field issues, to safety. A position change when coming into the NFL is a struggle. Let him come in and play the position he knows, get used to the NFL, and then change if you really want to. But I'd rather keep him at corner.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    I'm surprised people haven't talked about this more but there is a possibility that Finnegan plays in the Nickle. Last season he was a beast for the Titans playing a lot of his snaps in the Nickle spot. If Fletcher/Jenkins/Johnson can show the ability to play on the outside I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Finnegan in the nickle, especially considering his size.
    Finnegan IS going to play nickel. When there is 3 WR's out on the field. He always has, and he always will.

THE DREAM TEAM

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I don't really mind if he moves to S or not. I mean, his skillset would be nice there. Than again, its nice at CB, his speed is the only reason people are thinking about the transition. I don't really see the playing time at S anyways, why make the guy learn a new position now, and still sit on the bench?

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Finnegan IS going to play nickel. When there is 3 WR's out on the field. He always has, and he always will.
    I agree and would add a lot to that statement. We are going to play nickel a lot. We will be in the nickle often in this pass happy NFL. We need Johnson and JJ to man the outside and let Finnegan do what he does best. That is the reason I don't see the move to safety.

I think our secondary is going to be our strength on the defense, we have the most depth there and will need all of them.

I can see where you guys are coming from. I am happy with Mikell, and especially if Darian Stewart steps up, then I would rather just keep Johnson at CB.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Johnson should play both positions, primarily CB but being a backup safety as well will help our defense if Stewart and Mikell go down.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Id prefer CB depth,you can never have enough quality corners in this league.A backup safety doesnt see the field all that much and im fine with our starters as long as Stewart takes that next step in his game.