Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trying Not to Get Too Pumped Up

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Trying Not to Get Too Pumped Up

I have not been an "I told you so" guy during my time on the forum, but I was touting Jeff Fisher well over a month ago, when Spags' firing was anything but certain. Having watched him in Tennessee deal with a whack job owner (Bud Adams) and knowing his reputation as a defensive-minded, tenacious coach whose game plans made his teams competitive each week, I felt he was the right guy to get.

My biggest fear now is that we put all our eggs in one basket, fail to land Fisher then "settle" for a lesser candidate because 'well, we're the Rams and everything we touch turns to you-know-what". As a fan, I'm sure I'd support whomever we hire, but the spectre of Fisher in Miami or of some other team jumping in there at the eleventh hour and hiring him bothers me.

We need to make a splash and get this guy. We need to make a statement that the Rams are not going to be second class citizens. Kroenke needs to bring all his resources and billions to bear in luring Fisher to St. Louis. I guess patience is the key in letting this all play out, but patience is something I'm in very short supply of these days.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Re: Trying Not to Get Too Pumped Up

I have not been an "I told you so" guy during my time on the forum, but I was touting Jeff Fisher well over a month ago, when Spags' firing was anything but certain.
    LOL. Before you hurt your shoulder with the self-induced back-pat, there were posters pulling for Fisher 3 months ago. I think Fisher won a poll contest around here prior to Thanksgiving even.

.....but yea, Fisher could be a good pick. I'm glad you got on board.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

I should be able to post a relatively benign comment without stupid sarcasm in response. When one of the first posts on the subject of prospective coaches appeared quite awile ago, at least 20 people commented on the usual suspects- Gruden, Cowher, etc. before anyone (me) even mentioned Fisher. And of course in your haste to be flippant, the point of the post went right past you- that we need to make a statement and get an experienced, name guy with a track record of some success at the NFL level.

richtree is offline Registered User

If Fisher choses elsewhere, then who ? I think the GM is a bigger issue, as we can only get Fisher if he wants to come here..

Ramazing is offline Registered User

I am not a big fan of Fisher by any means. There is a much better coach out there that nobody seems to be interested in and I don't understand why. That guy is Brian Billick. Does anyone have any idea why this guy seems to be toxic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazing View Post
    I am not a big fan of Fisher by any means. There is a much better coach out there that nobody seems to be interested in and I don't understand why. That guy is Brian Billick. Does anyone have any idea why this guy seems to be toxic?
    I have heard over the years that Billick is very arrogant. He also is regarded as an offensive coach, yet had Trent Dilfer and crappy offenses during his time in Baltimore.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Ramazing is offline Registered User

...and managed to win with defense. I think his ability to take what he is given and win is exemplary. As for arrogance - who cares? This team needs some swagger...and it starts with the coach...the four pillars, choirboy stuff is great...if you're building a church...we're trying to build a football team.

edit: Can't believe I used the word 'swagger'...
    live4ramin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I should be able to post a relatively benign comment without stupid sarcasm in response. When one of the first posts on the subject of prospective coaches appeared quite awile ago, at least 20 people commented on the usual suspects- Gruden, Cowher, etc. before anyone (me) even mentioned Fisher. And of course in your haste to be flippant, the point of the post went right past you- that we need to make a statement and get an experienced, name guy with a track record of some success at the NFL level.
    Relax big guy. I got your point, both of your points. I got your point that Fisher would be a good choice. I wholeheartedly agree btw. And I got your point that you want recognition for supporting Fisher a month ago. Super. Lots of posters were supporting him two months prior. You can't have an "I told you so" moment, if you haven't actually told anyone anything.

That is all.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have not been an "I told you so" guy during my time on the forum, but I was touting Jeff Fisher well over a month ago, when Spags' firing was anything but certain. Having watched him in Tennessee deal with a whack job owner (Bud Adams) and knowing his reputation as a defensive-minded, tenacious coach whose game plans made his teams competitive each week, I felt he was the right guy to get.

My biggest fear now is that we put all our eggs in one basket, fail to land Fisher then "settle" for a lesser candidate because 'well, we're the Rams and everything we touch turns to you-know-what". As a fan, I'm sure I'd support whomever we hire, but the spectre of Fisher in Miami or of some other team jumping in there at the eleventh hour and hiring him bothers me.

We need to make a splash and get this guy. We need to make a statement that the Rams are not going to be second class citizens. Kroenke needs to bring all his resources and billions to bear in luring Fisher to St. Louis. I guess patience is the key in letting this all play out, but patience is something I'm in very short supply of these days.
    You where on him early... as far as getting too pumped up I have to say that I will be bummed if the Rams can't get this done. Not hearing a word from Stan and then in the past two days reading about the direction he wants to go Fisher seems like a perfect fit. Experienced head coach is an understatement.

Over the last 11 seasons (1999-2009), Fisher has guided the franchise to six playoff appearances – only three teams (Indianapolis, Philadelphia and New England) have more appearances during that time. During his tenure, his accomplishments include six playoff appearances (1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008), three Division titles (2000, 2002, 2008), two AFC Championship Games (1999, 2002) and one Super Bowl berth (XXXIV). With 91 victories during the 2000’s, Fisher directed the franchise to the most successful decade in franchise history (1990’s – 88 wins).
    After what we as Ram fans have endured how could this resume not look good?

If the Rams miss it better not be about money...

It may not happen.... the Bears could firer Lovie. The Colts job could open up. That's it the only two jobs I see that could be on his radar.

The Rams job has to look good. Bradford, Owner with deep pockets. A say in the hiring of the GM. Cap space to rebuild. High draft picks. Some young talent with the recent high draft picks. Weak division. Ties to the organization from the past. A clean slate really.

I want the hirer to be done by this weekend, lets start putting this thing back together.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.

...and managed to win with defense. I think his ability to take what he is given and win is exemplary. As for arrogance - who cares? This team needs some swagger...and it starts with the coach...the four pillars, choirboy stuff is great...if you're building a church...we're trying to build a football team.

edit: Can't believe I used the word 'swagger'...
    Not disagreeing with you. You can do a lot worse than Billick.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

...and managed to win with defense. I think his ability to take what he is given and win is exemplary. As for arrogance - who cares?
    Three good points:

1. We have a defense to build upon.

2. Maybe this man can make adjustments.

3. I remember when we were arrogant. I liked it (though we are probably paying the price of that arrogance now).
    Prepare to be amazed.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

And welcome to the Clan Ramazing. Good post.
    Prepare to be amazed.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Relax big guy. I got your point, both of your points. I got your point that Fisher would be a good choice. I wholeheartedly agree btw. And I got your point that you want recognition for supporting Fisher a month ago. Super. Lots of posters were supporting him two months prior. You can't have an "I told you so" moment, if you haven't actually told anyone anything.

That is all.
    To be fair, the first person I remember touting Fisher was Nj...But, larger point is the very idea of landing someone like Fisher and what that could potentially mean to the Rams.

The owner seems bent on setting Rams up to win. I am more then ready for that.
    RockinRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    To be fair, the first person I remember touting Fisher was Nj...But, larger point is the very idea of landing someone like Fisher and what that could potentially mean to the Rams.

The owner seems bent on setting Rams up to win. I am more then ready for that.
    To truly be fair, Ramarkable, General Counsel, and jkramsfan all mentioned Fisher as the next head coach on October 3rd, more than 3 months ago.

But yes to the larger point, Fisher's experience will be a God send to this franchise. Every HC for the past 12 years has had to go through on the job training. It's time for some real experience in that position. Thank God for Stan.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    To truly be fair, Ramarkable, General Counsel, and jkramsfan all mentioned Fisher as the next head coach on October 3rd, more than 3 months ago.

But yes to the larger point, Fisher's experience will be a God send to this franchise. Every HC for the past 12 years has had to go through on the job training. It's time for some real experience in that position. Thank God for Stan.
    As I said, MY recollection is NJ. Again, MY recollection. Does not make it right or wrong, only offers MY recollection. Thanks for letting me know YOUR recollection. for the rest, we are in agreement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast