RamWraith is offline Registered User

TSN Rams Report--2/10

Jim Thomas
    For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The hiring of Al Saunders as offensive coordinator and Terry Shea as quarterbacks coach will help appease the team's skill position players after a frustrating season in Scott Linehan's offense. Saunders, who spent two seasons with the Rams during the "Greatest Show on Turf" days, commands respect and knows how to get the most out of aging receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. Saunders will take more chances downfield, and he will use more shifts, alignments and formations. That should alleviate criticisms from some of the team's skill position players that Linehan's offense is too simplistic. Shea, meanwhile, has well-established credentials for working with quarterbacks. He will help Marc Bulger get his footwork and mechanics back to where they need to be after an injury-plagued season in which Bulger ran for his life more often than not. ...

The hiring of Billy Devaney as executive vice president of player personnel is an admission by the Rams that they need to improve their drafting and free-agent acquisitions. Devaney has been around many successful teams, possesses good people skills and is a detail-oriented workhouse. Recently, he has demonstrated his expertise in the free-agent market. That will help the Rams, who have signed more misses than hits in recent offseasons.

SCOUTING REPORT: With Brandon Chillar expected to sign elsewhere in free agency, Chris Draft could be the Rams' starting strongside linebacker next season. Draft isn't a slowpoke, but he lacks the speed of fellow starters Will Witherspoon and Pisa Tinoisamoa. Draft is, however, a more physical player with greater bulk. He is a sure tackler who plays intelligently -- he won't be out of position or blow assignments. Draft also can be an effective blitzer. He might compete with Quinton Culberson for playing time after Culberson impressed late in the season.

DRAFT BUZZ: If the Giants' stunning Super Bowl upset over the Patriots demonstrated anything, it's the importance of a dominant front four. Rams fans can only hope their retooled front office was paying attention. No matter what the Dolphins do with the first overall pick, the Rams will be in position to draft the top defensive tackle in the draft -- LSU's Glenn Dorsey -- or the top defensive end in the draft -- Virginia's Chris Long. Either would be a shot in the arm for a front four that wore down toward the end of the season and couldn't generate a consistent pass rush once DE Leonard Little was lost for the year to toe surgery. Some members of the Rams' front office believe Dorsey is the best player available, but Long would fill a greater need at DE.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: TSN Rams Report--2/10

Yeah I agree with the last sentence in the article. Long would be OUR best player, but Dorsey is THE best player. We really can use either Dorsey or Long, they'll make starter, whomever we pick.

denverram is offline Registered User

If Miami does take Chris Long and we end up with Dorsey it would not be the worst thing in the world. I imagine we would just have Carriker go back to his more natural defensive end position. Not a bad option.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by denverram View Post
    If Miami does take Chris Long and we end up with Dorsey it would not be the worst thing in the world. I imagine we would just have Carriker go back to his more natural defensive end position. Not a bad option.
    Exactly how I see it. Could the 08-09 Dline up be...

Carriker (Hall)
    Ryan (Glover)
    Dorsey
    Little

?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Exactly how I see it. Could the 08-09 Dline up be...

Carriker (Hall)
    Ryan (Glover)
    Dorsey
    Little

?
    just checking, but you aren't saying glover is going to play NT.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I still have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why DE is Adam Carriker's natural position in a 4-3 scheme.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I still have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why DE is Adam Carriker's natural position in a 4-3 scheme.
    Glad I convinced you that Dorsey and Carricker could at least make *some* sense together.

Anyway...one clarification to Thomas's write-up...our pass rush wasn't very good *before* Little getting hurt. It had nothing to do with injuries as far as I could see. LL is on the wrong side of his career for us to continue counting on him to spew out 10 sack seasons.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Glad I convinced you that Dorsey and Carricker could at least make *some* sense together.
    True, some progress has been made on that front but not a whole lot. ;-)

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Jim Thomas
    For Sporting News

Either would be a shot in the arm for a front four that wore down toward the end of the season and couldn't generate a consistent pass rush once DE Leonard Little was lost for the year to toe surgery. Some members of the Rams' front office believe Dorsey is the best player available, but Long would fill a greater need at DE.
    I think that's the long and the short (or is that the Long and the Dorsey?) of it, right there. I can't see whay Carriker would bennefit from a moove to DE, and even then, I can't say this defensive line generated anything that resembled a pass rush whilst Little was playing, anyways. Will Witherspoon, surprisingly, was our best pass rusher this year.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-10-2008, 10:10 PM