Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TSN Rams Report

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

TSN Rams Report

TSN Rams Report

If LT Orlando Pace is a training camp holdout, T Grant Williams will keep Pace's seat warm until he reports. If Pace were out in the regular season, Kyle Turley would switch from right to left tackle and Williams would play on the right side. But in camp, it's more likely Williams will play on the left to limit the disruption to the offensive line. . . .
    CB Dwight Anderson, DT Brian Howard and RB Adam Matthews are rookie free agents who have a chance to make the team after impressive spring performances. Anderson could contend for the fifth cornerback spot. Howard has the quickness and hustle the team likes in its defensive linemen. Matthews showed good burst and instincts.

QUARTERBACKS ANALYSIS

Now that Marc Bulger knows he's the guy, he should be more relaxed--and effective. An underrated leader, Bulger is accurate and has improved at reading coverages. Even though the offense emphasizes aggressive play, Bulger needs to be a better judge of when to take chances, which will help him cut down on interceptions. At this stage in his career, Chris Chandler has no problem being the backup, and he's still one of the better deep throwers in the league. The question is whether Chandler, with his limited mobility, can carry the team if Bulger gets hurt. Jeff Smoker could be the quarterback of the future, but he's a year or two away from being able to handle the top backup job.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: TSN Rams Report

Now that Marc Bulger knows he's the guy, he should be more relaxed--and effective.
    This can't be overstated. Warner cast a long shadow over Bulger last year that (IMO) kept him second-guessing himself the whole year. Some say that Bulger is worse off without Warner to rely on, but I think he is better off without Warner looking over his shoulder.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

One plus One = Zero

As someone said on the talk show radio station here in Austin today, and referring to the UT QB situation but it pertains to all:

"If you have two stud QB's (speaking of Chance Mock and Vincent Young, but it is relevant to all) you have none."

Yodude is offline Registered User

It's a shame Pace will miss most of training camp again. I'd really like to see the o-line be ready for the start of the season. I don't think his absence hurts his individual performance, but I think it hurts the unit as a whole, when they don't get to work together until the week before the season opener.

Now that Marc Bulger knows he's the guy, he should be more relaxed--and effective.
    That's just plain silly. I thought one of Bulger's strengths is that he's cool and calm no matter what. Why should the lack of Warner on the sidelines make him more relaxed? Aren't good competitors supposed to be at their best when they are being pushed? If he can't handle competition, he should have went into accounting (and before anyone get's bent out of shape, that's not meant to be an insult to accountants).

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Hey, I'm an accountant and I'm round. Round is a shape, not sure how bent it is though.....LOL

On a serious note, I'm sure it was tough on both Warner/Bulger last year. Warner wondering what happened, Bulger constantly looking over his shoulder.

Hey, I'm an accountant and I'm round. Round is a shape, not sure how bent it is though.....LOL
    That's funny stuff, Tx.

On the serious note, I agree last year was tough on both guys, but I hope Bulger's improvement comes from working hard and doing his homework, not just because Warner is no longer around. I'd be concerned if a player improves his performance when there is no competition, but struggles when someone is breathing done his neck. That's not what I would look for in a team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    That's funny stuff, Tx.

On the serious note, I agree last year was tough on both guys, but I hope Bulger's improvement comes from working hard and doing his homework, not just because Warner is no longer around. I'd be concerned if a player improves his performance when there is no competition, but struggles when someone is breathing done his neck. That's not what I would look for in a team leader.
    I think Bulger's improvement will come from working hard, doing his homework AND because Warner is no longer around.

And I wouldn't exactly say he struggled when someone was breathing down his neck. He played 15 games with Warner on the sideline and did pretty good (total yardage, completions, touchdowns, 3rd down %) with some things to work on (interceptions, 1st down yardage). The point is he will improve for both of those reasons: experience and being the undisputed #1.
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-07-2004 at 03:10 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't understand this theory that Kurt Warner being on the sidelines was holding Marc Bulger back. I thought that the only controversy was with the fans last year? That the team was firmly behind Bulger.

I'm coming around to the idea, and hope, that Bulger will improve this year but to say that he will improve because he doesn't have the pressure of Warner looking over his shoulder is ridiculous to me. How was he pressured by Warner last year when Warner didn't take any snaps with the first team in practice? Bulger played as poorly as a qb could play on more than one occasion and still didn't lose his starting position so I don't see how he had any pressure in that sense at all. Not from the team anyway.

No, if Bulger was struggling because of Warner being on the sidelines he may be in trouble this year. I mean, wouldn't it be a lot easier to challenge him head to head and see who's the better qb? Now Bulger has to deal with the memory of Warner which all of us know might actually be better than the real thing.

Warner being gone won't make it any easier on Bulger if Warner's presence was the cause of Bulger's struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Moklerman
    I don't understand this theory that Kurt Warner being on the sidelines was holding Marc Bulger back. I thought that the only controversy was with the fans last year? That the team was firmly behind Bulger.
    I never said that.
    I'm coming around to the idea, and hope, that Bulger will improve this year but to say that he will improve because he doesn't have the pressure of Warner looking over his shoulder is ridiculous to me. How was he pressured by Warner last year when Warner didn't take any snaps with the first team in practice? Bulger played as poorly as a qb could play on more than one occasion and still didn't lose his starting position so I don't see how he had any pressure in that sense at all. Not from the team anyway.
    But we're not talking about pressure from the team. We're talking about pressure that Bulger put on himself.
    And yes I know that statement is purely speculative, there is no stat that proves it, and completely my opinion. Yea, but I still think I'm right.
    No, if Bulger was struggling because of Warner being on the sidelines he may be in trouble this year.
    Actually, by definition, wouldn't that mean he would do better this year?
    Warner being gone won't make it any easier on Bulger if Warner's presence was the cause of Bulger's struggles.
    Guess I'm not following you here, Mok.

Before this gets out of hand, Mok, I feel that Warner got a shaft deal from the Rams and if I'm correct you believe the same. I'm not trying to cast off the memory of Warner as lightly as some have, but I do think that now that Warner has moved on, Bulger will actually play more relaxed. Bulger now knows this is his team. He's not just the substitute Warner.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Bulger played as poorly as a qb could play on more than one occasion
    I've missed you, Captain Overstatement. Welcome back.

HUbison, I'm not disagreeing with you in principal, but I'm with Mok on the fact that there's a problem there if Bulger felt held back by Warner's presence. It's inconsistant that Bulger is thought of a cool dude that doesn't get rattled by any situation, yet he was stressed out by Warner holding a clipboard.

I don't know if I agree with the assessment that Bulger didn't struggle. My recollection is that he struggled in quite a few games last year. As far as some of those stats...I'm not going to put too much stock in all of them so soon. Total yards, completions and touchdowns will come when you pass as much as the Rams do. But I'd really like to see some improvement in his reads, his interceptions, finding Faulk out of the backfield, etc.

I've made my peace with Warner being gone (although I'm not happy about it), and I'm really pulling for Bulger to live up to the faith that Martz has showed in him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that Bulger thought about Warner's presence much on Sundays when he was on the field. But, unless he stayed completely away from all forms of media, he probably did think about it during the week - particularly the weeks after losses or sub-par performances.

I don't think Kurt's departure will have a major impact on Bulger. If anything, it might have a bigger impact on Martz, who won't have to answer questions all year about why he has a former MVP on the bench.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Knowing that Warner told Martz to stick with his starter instead of pulling him against Chicago should have taken any pressure off Bulger and made it a non factor the remainder of the season. Not being pulled after a very shakey performance a week later against Arizona only reinforced that fact.

There's no way to know Bulger's thoughts on this. I'm just throwing out an opinion. Hey, I've been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. I'll even help prove your point. Tom Brady's rating has been almost identical with Drew Bledsoe on the Pats sideline or in Buffalo. If it didn't matter to Brady, it may not matter to Bulger either. But I think (which is to say I guess) that Bulger might feel a little more settled now that the whole controversy (whether media-driven, fan-driven, or player-driven) is now over.
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-08-2004 at 01:30 PM.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think Warner leaving is the worst thing that could have happened to Bulger IF Bulger was insecure or unconfident about filling his shoes. The memory of Warner will be a lot tougher to overcome than battling head to head in camp to see who's the better qb. Now Bulger will be competing against the ghost of the Warner led Rams and their accomplishments.

Bulger and Warner will always be linked so Bulger better not be effected by Warner or he's going to struggle throughout his career.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast