Thread: TSN Rams Report

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

TSN Rams Report

Jay Williams will fill the departed Bryce Fisher's role on the defensive line. After signing a three-year, $2.65 million contract, the former Miami Dolphin will be the team's No. 3 defensive end. Although he can play both end positions, he will get most of his reps spelling Anthony Hargrove at right end. But Williams also can slide inside to DT in passing situations. Williams has enough quickness to be more than an afterthought as a pass rusher, and he also holds his own against the run. Beyond that, the Rams are looking for some veteran leadership from Williams, 33, on what remains a young defensive line. . . .

More than a month into the free-agency period, the Rams still haven't added a No. 3 QB to their depth chart. The veteran options still on the market are almost non-existent. With second-year man Jeff Smoker currently backing up Marc Bulger, it wouldn't seem to make much sense to draft a quarterback for the second year in a row, especially considering how hesitant coach Mike Martz is about playing young quarterbacks. So don't be surprised if the Rams end up re-signing veteran Jamie Martin and having him compete with Smoker for the backup job. What Martin may lack in arm strength he makes up for in knowledge of the complex Martz passing system. . . .

Early attendance at the Rams' offseason conditioning program has been at record levels. More than 90 percent of the team was there on the first day. Among the regulars have been team mainstays WR Isaac Bruce and RB Marshall Faulk. Newly acquired LB Dexter Coakley's arrival was delayed because his wife had a baby, but the team's other free-agent pickup at LB -- Chris Claiborne -- has been there from the outset.

SCOUTING REPORT: The Rams matched a $15 million offer sheet from Washington one year ago to keep CB Jerametrius Butler as a restricted free agent. Butler played up to the contract a year ago by leading the club in interceptions and establishing himself as an above average cover corner. Butler has good range, above average closing speed and the athleticism to go get the football in a crowd. In order to take the next step and play at a Pro Bowl level, Butler needs to improve in two areas: tackling and defending the slant pattern. Butler will never be a thumper, but he needs to be more aggressive both in run support and in tackling receivers in the open field. A simple technique adjustment should help Butler in defending the slant -- namely, lining up more often with inside leverage on wide receivers.

COMEBACK STORY: The 2004 campaign was supposed to be a breakthrough season for SS Adam Archuleta as one of the NFL's elite safeties. Instead, he took a big step backward, largely because of back problems that were later diagnosed as a herniated disc. On a depth chart that is currently paper thin at safety, a bounce-back season by Archuleta is a must for 2005. That means fewer missed tackles and more impact plays. Archuleta opted against surgery, but he is confident that an aggressive rehab program will fix his back problems. He also is determined that he can play well enough in space and in coverage to make the switch to free safety, which is the plan. Because of his back problems, the Rams are concerned about him taking the constant banging that is required of a strong safety in run support.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: TSN Rams Report

We might be able to stop somebody on D inspite of Marmie.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

I'm willing to give Marmie another year before I criticize him. He had Lovie's guys last year, playing half his system/half the old system, or however they were doing it. Now that he's been able to plug in some new players that he obviously wanted and will be implementing his own scheme from the outset of camp I think things could turn around.

It's true Arizona's defense was never good under him, but it's Arizona.

general counsel Guest

With all due respect to psycho, i think that many of the people blaming marmie for the debacle on defense last year were also blaming bobby april for the debacle on special teams in 2003. Note that april was the 2004 special teams coach of the year for buffalo. Guys, scheme counts at the margain, but at the end of the day you are good or bad because you have good or bad players. The number of missed tackles and blown int. opportunities last year was incredible, balls hitting guys in the hands and getting dropped, total whiffs with runners/receivers directly in front of them. That has nothing to do with scheme and everything to do with our players.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    I'm willing to give Marmie another year before I criticize him. He had Lovie's guys last year, playing half his system/half the old system, or however they were doing it. Now that he's been able to plug in some new players that he obviously wanted and will be implementing his own scheme from the outset of camp I think things could turn around.

It's true Arizona's defense was never good under him, but it's Arizona.
    Marmie has never gotten any notables that I've heard about except from Martz.He didnt do much in arizona,but that could be the owners fault. It doesnt matter what we think Of Marmie,because he is our defensive coordinator for 2005.If hes bad it will show.I just hope Martz can see passed his friendship with Marmie and do the right thing when the time comes.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I got no confidence or hope in Marmie. It was a bad move to bring him to the Rams. I expect a poor D performance this year. I expect a high O performance this year. I hope the O will offset the D.