Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

TSN Rams Team Report - 8/4/06

Rams Team Report
    8/4/2006

By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: At his best, RB Moe Williams will be a determined short-yardage and red zone runner. He often will get the tough yards when they're needed most. But the Rams already have a power runner in starter Steven Jackson. They had their minds set on Michael Bennett, who like Williams is a former Viking who worked with Rams coach Scott Linehan in Minnesota. Bennett would have provided a speed complement to Jackson in the backfield. The Rams won't get that from Williams, who also is a medical question mark coming back from microfracture surgery. The only other backup option is solid but unspectacular Tony Fisher. The search will continue during the preseason for a true No. 2 backup. . . .

Linehan's first camp has been more physical than that of his predecessor, Mike Martz. There have been more full-pad practices and more contact drills. Linehan will be aggressive at play-calling, but it is clear he wants to be able to muscle up in the running game if necessary. That can only help the defense, where new coordinator Jim Haslett will demand more intensity and better tackling than the '05 unit displayed. It is clear why the team signed players such as DT La'Roi Glover, SS Corey Chavous and CB Fakhir Brown -- because they fit that style of play.

NEWCOMER REPORT: Seventh-round OG Mark Setterstrom has been one of the early surprises of training camp, working his way up the depth chart at left guard. Setterstrom has been splitting practice reps on the first unit with Richie Incognito. Setterstrom has superior run-blocking skills, honed at a running school (the University of Minnesota). He still needs to refine his pass-blocking techniques, particularly the use of his hands to "catch" pass rushers, but he has displayed the intensity and enough athleticism to indicate he can play at this level.

PROBLEM SPOT: The punting position has been a revolving door for the Rams almost since the day they moved to St. Louis in 1995. Offseason pickup Matt Turk has been slowed by a cyst behind his knee for part of camp, but has displayed the leg strength and consistency that made him one of the NFL's top punters a few years ago. But Turk is getting a strong challenge so far from Andy Groom, who has lacked Turk's consistency so far in camp, but has shown equally impressive leg strength. Turk probably wins the job, but he can't afford to coast during preaseason play.

Return To Glory is offline Registered User

Re: TSN Rams Team Report - 8/4/06

hmm battle of the punters, i really needed to read that, nice post nick, and I hope moe williams can get the tough yards for us too.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

That can only help the defense, where new coordinator Jim Haslett will demand more intensity and better tackling than the '05 unit displayed.
    Man, if we only knew in the past that better tackling could be "demanded".

The punting position has been a revolving door for the Rams almost since the day they moved to St. Louis in 1995.
    Don't even get me started on the punting situation.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

tackling? on defense? dont make me laugh!

I like the sound of Haslett's physical and aggresive defense. I havent seen a Rams player light someone up in a long time, and nothing makes a good football game like big hits.