RamWraith is offline Registered User

Turk's big day includes punting adventures

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/18/2006

OAKLAND, Calif. As eventful days go, Rams punter Matt Turk had a doozy Sunday.

"A little bit of everything," he said.

Turk, a 12th-year pro and three-time Pro Bowler, posted a sparkling 48.8-yard net average on five punts in the Rams' 20-0 victory over the Oakland Raiders. Included was a 74-yard shot the third-longest punt in franchise history that got the Rams out of a hole just before halftime. Only Hall of Famer Bob Waterfield sent punts deeper for the Rams an 88-yarder in 1948 and an 86-yarder in '47, both vs. Green Bay.

Turk's bomb was hardly a thing of beauty. A line drive that nearly was blocked, it benefited from a fortunate bounce and a long roll before dying at the Raiders' 7-yard line.

"Thank God for the bounce and being able to get it off quick," Turk said.

More entertaining, though, were two punts that Turk didn't send skyward.

The first threatened a 13-0 Rams lead in the third quarter. When Oakland's Jarrod Cooper stormed in from his left, Turk improvised.

"I didn't think I had time to get it off," he said. "I just didn't attempt to kick it. I dropped it."

The Raiders took over just 36 yards from the end zone, but they fumbled the ball back to the Rams seven plays later.

The second helped preserve the Rams' lead in the final period. Recognizing a vulnerable Raiders alignment, Turk took off around the right side. His 16-yard jaunt produced a first down with 6 minutes remaining.

"I didn't know anything about it," said Kay-Jay Harris, a member of the punt-coverage unit. "I made a block, and I heard the crowd. I looked back, and I saw Turk running. Man, he was moving pretty good."

Said Turk: "It was something that (special-teams) coach (Bob) Ligashesky and I had gone over during the week. It's a specific look that he made me aware of. I realized that look before the snap, went with it, and it worked."

After going through a lengthy procession of punters in recent years, the Rams appear to have solidified that spot with the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Turk, 36. He missed the 2005 season with a groin injury but has come back to average a solid 43.5 yards this year.

"We've counted on him all year, and he's come through," long-snapper Chris Massey said. "I'm tired of getting to meet new (punters) every year. He's a good guy, he's a good player, and hopefully he's a force to reckon with for us for a couple of more years."

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Turk's big day includes punting adventures

i would like to see us lock him up now. three year deal seems right.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

yeah we need to get him signed, he has actually helped our punt coverage quite a lot with his kicking

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

He has done a solid job..Thought he punted very well against the Bears..He directed his kicks and had lots of hang-time on them to negate Hester..If only we could have stopped him on kick-off's!!:l

live4ramin is online now Registered User

It was funny seeing him follow the faiders down field. The first few defenders saw him but seemed not to believe he had the ball. LOL.
    The break, don't bend offense.

blood85 is offline Registered User

That was a great trick play, especially against Chokeland, Go Rams Go!!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I agree lets get him signed for a couple of years. If you're worried about his age, remember that kickers/punters last much longer. Morten Andersen is still alive and kicking 'em in at age 46, so Turk could have a couple of years left in him as well. A 3-year deal or so sounds good.