Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Turley hopes to recover, come back next season

Turley hopes to recover, come back next season
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    12/14/2004

Kyle Turley's whereabouts haven't quite reached "Where's Waldo?" proportions. It only seemed that way last week when Rams coach Mike Martz was asked about Turley's status.

"I have no idea where he is," Martz said. "I have no idea if he wants to play or can play. ... I have not seen him."

Reached Tuesday by the Post-Dispatch, Turley said he wants to play next season for the Rams. But he's trying to do so without having a second back surgery for a herniated disc.

Turley said he has tried to keep a low profile since aggravating the back injury in training camp. If that approach has offended anyone, particularly Martz, Turley said that was not his intent.

"I don't know if there's any underlying personal issues that Mike Martz has with me," Turley said. "I have no idea. ... I've tried to keep it at a professional level from the beginning.

"I just mistakenly assumed that Mike Martz had talked with (team president) Jay Zygmunt and knew what was going on because my agent was in direct contact with Zygmunt and with the doctors."

Since being placed on the season-ending injured reserve list Aug. 28, Turley said he has participated in a lot of charity events hosted by the Rams. He has gone to several dinners with groups of players, and he has done pregame television work at home games.

"I walk around the field pregame, say, 'Hi' to the guys," Turley said.

But then he gets out of the way.

"Mike Martz has never expressed an interest in having me on the sidelines at games," Turley said. "I can't stand on that turf anyway. ... My back starts tightening up on me.

"They haven't asked me to come down and coach or help or do anything like that. So I just assumed that they knew what I'm doing. I don't want to be in the way."

Pass blocking at right tackle has been an issue for the Rams much of the season. And pass blocking at right tackle is what Turley does best. For that reason, he said he didn't want to be standing on the sidelines at games, and have cameras zooming in on him every time the Rams gave up a sack at right tackle.

"I don't want it to be viewed as, 'Oh, there's Kyle Turley. That's the reason why they're losing,' " he said. "That team needs to focus. That offensive line needs to focus. In team sports, you don't need distractions. And I'm trying hard not to be a distraction."

Turley has spent very little time at Rams Park. Under his physical therapy regimen, he needs only a pair of 10-pound dumb bells and what he calls a "physio-ball." So there's no equipment he needs at Rams Park. When not visiting his physical therapist in Los Angeles, he does therapy work at his St. Louis home.

"I've made I don't know how many trips out to Los Angeles, and people think, 'Oh, you're just going out there to do TV work,' " Turley said. "No. I'm going out there because I'm meeting with a physical therapist, I'm in direct contact with the doctors, and while I'm out there, they asked me to be on the show."

(Turley is a semi-regular on the "Best Damn Sports Show" on Fox Sports Network.)

"So I'm doing that, and I guess the perception out there is that, 'Oh, Kyle doesn't want to play football anymore,' " he said. "That I'm working on my TV career. That's the furthest thing from the truth."

Turley plans to move to the Phoenix area shortly after the start of the new year to work with a personal trainer - someone he worked with coming out of San Diego State. His goal is to be ready to play football again by the start of the '05 season. Whether that's a realistic goal remains to be seen.

"Wanting to play has never been an issue, or shouldn't be an issue," Turley said. "I've given everything in my life to this sport, and dedicated myself to this, I think, as much or in some cases more than most people.

"That's been the goal from Day 1. Get back. Get back on the field. Get the proper information, from the proper authorities, and take that information and get back to work."

Doing so without additional surgery will take time.

"With a herniated disc, the way it's been explained to me, is that your body will take care of itself over a period of time," Turley said. "If you pay close enough attention to proper posture, core strength, not putting your body in positions to where you're going to get hurt, and not putting pressure on that spine, your body will heal itself naturally.

"The beginning of next year, that's my goal. But if it takes the middle of next year, the middle of next season, then so be it. Or if it takes even the year after that. I'm going to make it back. I'm 29 years old. I'm going to make it back to play in this league."

Complicating matters is the fact that Turley's weight has dipped to about 240 pounds. His listed playing weight last season was 309 pounds.

"I'm not naturally a 300-pound man," he said. "I've worked very hard at getting to be a 300-pound offensive lineman in the National Football League."

Because of the back injury, he hasn't been able to lift weights - other than those 10-pound dumbbells.

"To put 50 pounds back on, and get back to being a 300-pound man, I don't know that that necessarily can be accomplished in the period of time (before next season)," Turley said. "But I'm not ruling it out. So for me to come back, it's going to take a detailed, regimented program."

Which is why he will soon be heading to Arizona.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Turley hopes to recover, come back next season

I just don't see him making it back for next season. The back may heal up, but I can't imagine him putting on 60-70 pounds of muscle in the next 7 months. If anyone has ever met Turley (I have) you would see it is obvious that his frame will not hold 300 pounds on it's own. Much like Arch holding anything more than 215. It is going to take a lot of work, and that may be more than his back's healing process will allow. I'm hoping for the season after next.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am not holding out much hope for Turley. I think he has too much pride to not play if he was physically able. I don't think his body can handle the abuse anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I hope he retires.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Why would you hope he retires? Not only would we be left with dead cap money, but if he can comeback and play like he has in the past. That's one less important issue we have to address in the offseason.

Then we can spend money and draft picks on the side of the ball that desperately needs it.

We still have to draft better though.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I just don't like the guy. Never did, never will.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I just don't like the guy. Never did, never will.
    Holy crap! AvengerRam and I are in agreement....
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not drawing hearts around the guy's name or anything either, but he's a good right tackle and now has some experience in our offense. I'd rather have him on the line than another free agent tackle at this point, assuming he can come back and play. And if he can, then our necessity at right tackle has dropped in the draft, and we can look at defense - the unit that REALLY needs help.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Couldn't agree more, Seiler. Well I could but that'd be weird.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Turley BUMP!!!!

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    Turley BUMP!!!!
    Care to elaborate as to why you would bump something 4 years old. To bump something 4 years old without explanation is childish. Please explain when pulling such a BS move.