Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Turley wants to play defense

Offensive lineman asks Rams to switch him to defense
    By Brent Schrotenboer
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 2, 2005

St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Kyle Turley is planning a switch to defensive end this year a position he hasn't played since high school as long he can pass a physical exam and resume working relations with a head coach he won't forgive.

Turley, a former standout at San Diego State, wants to switch to defensive end to relieve pressure on his back, a subject of controversy and much physical stress for Turley since December. Turley suffered from a herniated disc in preseason training camp and missed the entire 2004 season.

"I need to play a position where I have more freedom to move around and get out of problem situations," Turley said yesterday by phone. "My back was injured on pass plays (on offense)."

Turley said Rams General Manager Charlie Armey and operations chief Jay Zygmunt have given him the "we'll see" answer to his switch request. A call to the Rams office seeking comment was not immediately returned last night.

In the last three months, Turley's weight dipped to 235 for the first time since his freshman year at SDSU. After working out in Tempe, Ariz., he has it back up to 260 with a target of 275. He was once up to 309.

As a result, he said, he's going to be faster than ever and is feeling great about extending his career. A bigger question might be how he'll be received by head coach Mike Martz if he does. In December, Turley got into a shouting match with Martz after Turley said Martz questioned the seriousness of Turley's injury. Turley allegedly threatened to kill Martz a charge Turley denies.

"There's definitely hard feelings," Turley said. "As far as I'm concerned, I don't have to forgive anybody. The things he said to me, I don't plan on forgetting."

Turley said that from now on his relationship with Martz wil be: "He stays away from me, and I stay away from him."

According to Turley, Martz said that Turley came to St. Louis "to take the money and run." Turley, 29, signed a six-year, $26.5 million contract after joining the Rams in 2003.

"How do you say that to a guy who hasn't missed a down or a practice in six years and faces a serious, career-ending injury?" Turley asked.

Turley, a former first-round draft pick in 1998, also said he's ditched many diet supplements in his quest to regain his health and weight. Instead of multivitamins, for example, he's sticking to a strict diet and nutritional shakes. His body fat rate is down from 10 percent to 8 percent.

Turley had surgery on his back in March 2004 but didn't want to have more surgery last fall that could have further jeopardized his career.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Turley wants to play defense

I think this should maybe be in the "Anyone Need A Laugh" thread. What a piece of work Kyle Turley is.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    "There's definitely hard feelings," Turley said. "As far as I'm concerned, I don't have to forgive anybody. The things he said to me, I don't plan on forgetting."

Turley said that from now on his relationship with Martz wil be: "He stays away from me, and I stay away from him."
    Thus far in the media, Martz has done nothing but handle this with class. Turley has done exactly the opposite. His "I don't have to forgive anybody" attitude shows he's incapable of being the bigger man, which is an ironic way to put it, since we've all been wondering if he's going to be able to get bigger physically.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Somewhere, Mike Martz is rolling his eyes.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'll take him on defense when he agrees to take a pay cut. We're paying for an offensive lineman, not a defensive end. He'll be the highest paid DE on the roster?

If he doesn't take a cut, we'll make a cut.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

If they have to pay him the money anyway, then let him show up on the Defensive bench and see if they can find someway to use him.

But if there is some way to save money, or recoup money because he's not playing at all, then forget it.

Also, I wonder if this is his way of saying "I wanted to play" to possibly make a better case for not having to give money back in the lawsuit the Rams will be filing against him? (knowing they won't use him on D).

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

If he wants to move around more let him run back punt returns.Hes lighter and faster give him the ball.:tongue:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

I had to check the date that was written, and sure enough it wasn't April 1st. Wow.

As a matter of principle, cut him. Don't give him another chance because he's done nothing to earn it.

general counsel Guest

In my opinion, all he is doing is trying to protect his legal rights in the arbitration hearing that lies ahead. He is trying to show that he is capable of playing football so that when the rams cut him they cant use the excuse that he didnt rehab (ie use good faith efforts to meet his contractual obligations).

He has about as much chance of playing defensive end this year for us as jack youngblood.

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

Just cut the guy, he will be nothing but trouble on our roster and in the locker room!!!

steve :ramlogo:

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I agree, this is legal positioning.

It doesn't make sense on the football field. If it only took a great, strong athlete to play DL in the NFL, than Brock Lesnar would be starting. His quest failed and he didn't even make the team. Turley would be cut too if he was only going for Def Line.

Personally, I don't think he wants to play anymore. I think he should look up Ricky Williams and they can wax eloquently about tatoos and weed, and their playing days.