Thread: Turnovers

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Turnovers

Regardless of how anyone performs or who's playing, until this team learns how to hold onto the ball on offense and get the ball on defense, we'll continue to lose. I thought the only way we were going to beat Indy was to win the turnover battle, and that was indeed the case. In the first quarter the margin was 1-0, and we led 17-0. In the second quarter the margin was even at 1-1, and we led at halftime 20-17. In the third quarter the margin was 1-3, and we trailed 24-20. In the fourth quarter, the margin was 1-4 and we lost 45-28.

Turnovers not only kill both drives and scoring opportunities, they often put the defense on a short field and give the opposing offense easy scoring opportunities. 4 of the 6 Indy touchdowns were off of turnovers from 34, 35, 14 and 19 yards out. Way too much pressure to put on a struggling defense.

-3 in the turnover battle is never going to get it done against the better teams in the NFL, and more often than not, won't get it done against ANY caliber NFL team. The big cliche in the media is that the Rams don't care about turnovers. Well if they don't, they better now, because they won't win another game going -3.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Turnovers

I can't agree more. We are probably near the botton in turnovers, I think we didn't have one game without an int.
    I can't believe jacksons fumble, but what is really strange is . . . did their safety tackled jackson twice with one hand (not one arm, on hand?????)

gap Guest

I know this isn't a popular statement on this (or any) board, but with fair offciating, would we have been minus three? I know for a fact that we would have been -1 had the officials done their job (all else remaining the same). Who knows maybe they were doing their job. They definately couldn't have been that bad by accident. If they had been that bad, they'd have accidently made bad calls in favor of the RAMS. The first or second Martin INT, the one meant for Manu that the LB picked off, was blatant pas interference. The LB litterally pushed Manu to the side and snagged the ball. ABC barely showed it on the screen, but it shows up on the edge of the screen when in slowmo.

That TO and the one Ivy had stolen from his grasp by jerry austin makes the margin -1. Who knows what happens with the momentum if those two officiating gaffs don't happen.

gap

general counsel is offline Registered User

Perfect point, exactly on target. you just arent going to beat a quality team on the road with that kind of negative turnover ratio.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

The turnovers are killers, especially with our defense. It sucks, but the Rams simply have to be near perfect on offense, because the D can't stop anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gap
    I know this isn't a popular statement on this (or any) board, but with fair offciating, would we have been minus three? I know for a fact that we would have been -1 had the officials done their job (all else remaining the same). Who knows maybe they were doing their job. They definately couldn't have been that bad by accident. If they had been that bad, they'd have accidently made bad calls in favor of the RAMS. The first or second Martin INT, the one meant for Manu that the LB picked off, was blatant pas interference. The LB litterally pushed Manu to the side and snagged the ball. ABC barely showed it on the screen, but it shows up on the edge of the screen when in slowmo.

That TO and the one Ivy had stolen from his grasp by jerry austin makes the margin -1. Who knows what happens with the momentum if those two officiating gaffs don't happen.

gap
    I guess the moral of the story is, if you can be affected by a judgment call, take the official out of the equation and just hold onto the ball and make sure it stays in YOUR possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    The turnovers are killers, especially with our defense. It sucks, but the Rams simply have to be near perfect on offense, because the D can't stop anyone.
    Good point Ferter. In theory though, even if the defense held the Colt's to 4 field goals instead of 4 touchdowns after those turnovers, they still would have had enough to win 29-28. Turnovers cost us the game IMO.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

We've known for a long time that this offense is a big risk/big reward offense. That means you're going to force some things and occasionally turn the ball over. If this is the offense we're going to run, and it seems like that's going to be the case at least for the near future, then it's vital to field a defense that can create turnovers themselves to counter the ones we'll give up. I don't think the defense has forced a turnover since the Titans game, and that's horrible if it's accurate.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Too bad our only real playmaker on defense was Butler. We definitely need to create turnovers on defense, because interceptions are indeed a fact of life in an offense that depends on timing. Fumbles and holding onto the ball are something we can control and HAVE to get a handle on, no pun intended.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I don't think there is a problem with the occasional turnover. But we don't have the occasional turnover. It seems like we are having an interception a game. The Colts offense put up big numbers last year and did not turn the ball over as much as we do. Nick, you are right with a high reward/high risk offense we need a defense that can counter that. Since we don't have that and it doesn't look like we will have that anytime soon, maybe we should adjust the offense a little bit.
    Sprtsmac :football:

gap Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I guess the moral of the story is, if you can be affected by a judgment call, take the official out of the equation and just hold onto the ball and make sure it stays in YOUR possession.
    So what your saying is never pass the ball because the officials might not call PI that causes an interception? We better get some beef up front that can open holes on every snap, and be satisfied with a 0-45 pass to run ratio.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by gap
    So what your saying is never pass the ball because the officials might not call PI that causes an interception? We better get some beef up front that can open holes on every snap, and be satisfied with a 0-45 pass to run ratio.

gap
    What I'm saying is, if you're going to worry about bad calls, you better find a way to negate their impact and hold onto the ball. We can do better than allowing 4 turnovers in a game.