Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

the turnovers plus the three plays we didnt make

Obviously, the turnovers killed us. You arent going to beat a team as good as kc, home or road, with a minus three differential very often if at all. Throw in a complete inability to stop the run, consecutive moronic false starts on barron and one terrible terrible INT call on ike that cost us a legit shot to win and you have another loss to a quality team. As many of us feared, the 4-1 was largely an illusion, built on the backs of close wins against three of the worst teams in the nfl./

What i want to focus on is the three plays we DIDNT make that dont really show up in the box score. The ball that hit coakley in the numbers that he couldnt catch, costing us 60 yards in field position. The non sack by fisher who whiffed and tripped over his own feet which led to a td rather than a sack right before half and our inability to fall on LJ's fumble despite the fact that we had two guys right on top of the ball.

Playoff caliber teams make plays, .500 teams talk about what ifs. We beat ourselves today both with our own failure to execute and our inability to make plays when we had the chance.

We just arent a playoff team guys. I wont give up, but reality is reality. Our best shot at this point is a win next week and a collapse by seattle which somehow enables us to sneak into the west title, but given our incompetent defense, i just dont see it happening.

Bulger is an all pro. Little is a guy we need to have back. Steven jackson is outstanding. I think OJ stinks. I think he is weak in run support, his coverage is lousy and his ball awareness is beyond awful.

Not much else to say at this point, i could go on indefinitely about 40 yard runs on third and 8 from the goal line, crappy tackling etc, but at this point, i am too disappointed to do so. We didnt give ourselves a chance to win this game, we just didnt make the plays and didnt capitalize when we had a chance.

It really was a terrible call on the ike interference, i do think that we were going in for the tying td and i think we had a great shot to win the game, but you cant say we lost on that call with all the other terrible mistakes we made all day long.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Re: the turnovers plus the three plays we didnt make

I agree GC, it will be interesting to see what we do in the off season regarding D

rampete is offline Registered User

nice assessment...couldn't have put it better...

we really need defensive help thru the FA and hopely hit a gem or two
    thru the draft...particularly at linebacker and safety...

tanus is offline Registered User

I have a great idea. Let's spend two first day draft picks on TE next year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i like klop a lot, but the kid cant block to save his life.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The non sack by fisher who whiffed and tripped over his own feet which led to a td rather than a sack right before half
    If the whiff by Fisher wasn't bad enough, Witherspoon got totally turned around and lost in coverage on Gonzales, resulting in the TD. A horrible effort all around.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think OJ stinks. I think he is weak in run support, his coverage is lousy and his ball awareness is beyond awful.
    I agree that OJ is just not getting the job done, especially obvious in these last two games. This is a position on defense we really have had trouble shoring up for a while now, and it looks like we're still in need of a long term solution. It's a shame, because I thought he started the season playing fairly well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

viper is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree more, GC. Three turnovers, missed opportunities, an inability to get to the QB or stop the run. Our defense, in past years as well as this one, has the uncanny ability to make opposing offenses look all world. It is very dissapointing indeed.

bela is offline Registered User

I think you may be being a bit harsh GC. It was a tough loss, but give KC some credit, they are playing very well. They made our defense look like a JV unit, and Larry Johnson had almost as good a day against us as he did against you guys. The Rams live and die on turnovers, and today they weren't there.

I look at the NFC teams and their remaining schedules and I think a 9-win Ram team likely makes the playoffs.

Stranger things have happened - I mean, Miami beat the Bears today...

viper is offline Registered User

Bela, obviously we were on the short end of the turnover stick today, but except for the Denver game, our defense has not been able to stop anyone consistently. We can't get pressure with our front four, we make most of the RB's that we play look like Shaun Alexander and our secondary is pourous. Its a theme that we've had going on here for a long time and we're all just getting a little tired of it.

Appreciate the pep talk though!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    I think you may be being a bit harsh GC. It was a tough loss, but give KC some credit, they are playing very well. They made our defense look like a JV unit, and Larry Johnson had almost as good a day against us as he did against you guys. The Rams live and die on turnovers, and today they weren't there.

I look at the NFC teams and their remaining schedules and I think a 9-win Ram team likely makes the playoffs.

Stranger things have happened - I mean, Miami beat the Bears today...
    thanks for shedding a glimmer of hope on us but it doesn't look good, to many holes in the defense, BUT if we can beat you guys next week and Cindy Margolis accepts my marriage proposal,well then i really do believe miracles can happen.

pr_capone is offline Registered User

jkramsfan - Beating Denver in week one was no fluke.

The Rams seem to be in the same position that KC has been in for the past few years. Killer offence, weak D.

The biggest difference is though that you have a young stud QB. In KC we have someone by the name of Brodie to look forward to in the next few years.

Given time, and a new DB core, you will be back to being a top tier team.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by pr_capone View Post
    jkramsfan - Beating Denver in week one was no fluke.

The Rams seem to be in the same position that KC has been in for the past few years. Killer offence, weak D.

The biggest difference is though that you have a young stud QB. In KC we have someone by the name of Brodie to look forward to in the next few years.

Given time, and a new DB core, you will be back to being a top tier team.
    very good points but keep in mind while we are waiting for the defense to become better our offense isn't getting any younger.

sunflame is offline Registered User

The first thing i get home, i look at the nfl.com, and then i saw bulger have 350 yard and jackson with 133 yard. So i though we won, but everything change when i try to find our game in the score box.

pr_capone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    very good points but keep in mind while we are waiting for the defense to become better our offense isn't getting any younger.
    LOL

Believe me... I feel your pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast