Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Two St. Louis Rams guarantee victory over Cleveland Browns

Thursday, October 25, 2007
    Mary Kay Cabot
    Plain Dealer Reporter

Rams tight end Randy McMichael guaranteed a victory over the Browns on Tuesday, and running back Steven Jackson backed it up on Wednesday.

"Randy McMichael guaranteed a win?" Jackson asked on a conference call with Cleveland media on Wednesday. "I didn't know. Well, then I back it. I guarantee it with him."

Jackson said he did so because of solidarity on the 0-7 Rams.

"We don't divide," said Jackson. "We don't shy away from one another. If a guy goes out and puts it on the line, then we've got to go out and do it."

McMichael told the Sports Ticker in St. Louis on Tuesday: "We have nothing else to say - we are going to win the football game."

The Browns seemed unfazed - although it undoubtedly will become bulletin board material.

"It's his way of psyching up his team," Browns center Hank Fraley said. "Everybody feels they're gonna win every week. It doesn't make me want to play any harder."

Kellen Winslow found nothing wrong with it.

"It's just confidence," he said. "That's the way it should be. But I've seen a lot of them backfire."

Rams coach Scott Linehan supported his troops during his conference call Wednesday

think people do that to try to motivate," he said. "I'd say there's no guarantee in life - I know that. Regardless of how it's perceived, we've got to do something to get a win, and a little psychology for us wouldn't hurt."

College memories:

Browns quarterback Derek Anderson and Jackson, the 24th overall pick by St. Louis in 2004, were roommates as freshmen at Oregon State and have remained good friends.

"Even as a freshman, he was a man against boys out there," said Anderson. "He was running guys over, and it was like, 'Wow! This kid's like 18 years old.' "

He remembered Jackson bowling over Oregon's secondary as a sophomore.

"He was like 235 and lean," said Anderson. "He doesn't quit either. You've got to tackle him the whole game."

They lived together in the international dorm and had to talk to each other "because only a few of us in there spoke English," said Anderson.

When Anderson got the Browns' starting job in Week 2, he received a text message from Jackson. It read, "Make it hell on them to make a decision once they bring the rookie in up there."

Anderson's performance is no surprise to Jackson, who chose Oregon State, in part, because Anderson was going.

"When the Browns picked him up, I knew the opportunity would come because there was no sure starter there," said Jackson. "He's stood the test of time. He's playing really well."

Quinn in new jersey:

Backup quarterback Brady Quinn wore a Trojans jersey in the Browns locker room Wednesday after losing a bet with friend and former Southern Cal quarterback Rodney Peete because of Notre Dame's 38-0 loss to USC.

"We didn't pull it out last Saturday, so I'm owning up to it," said Quinn, clad in the cardinal and gold. "I have a lot of layers on so it doesn't touch any part of my body. It's going right in the trash can."

And it did. Minutes later, linebacker Willie McGinest, a former Trojan, came over and asked where the jersey was. A sheepish Quinn had to fess up.

Safety signed:

The Browns signed safety Nick Sorensen to fill Gary Baxter's roster spot.

Sorensen, 6-3, 205, played for the Rams in 2001 and 2002 and the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2003 to 2006. Originally signed by the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent out of Virginia Tech, he's played in 75 games, mostly on special teams. He said he can play against his former team Sunday if called upon, but can't provide any good insight.

"It's been too long," he said.

Injury update:

Jamal Lewis (foot) and Darnell Dinkins (hand) were limited. Joe Jurevicius (knee) was full-go.

StLouisSam is offline Registered User

Re: Two St. Louis Rams guarantee victory over Cleveland Browns

Crap, I hope this doesn't provide bulletin-board material for the Browns. I want that first draft pick but I also want to win a game, ya know?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Ok, next week, let's have our guys all come out and guarantee that we are going to lose. Maybe that will cause the other team to lay down and we can sneak a victory ...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Ok, next week, let's have our guys all come out and guarantee that we are going to lose. Maybe that will cause the other team to lay down and we can sneak a victory ...
    "Bye" seems unusually motivated this year, though.:x

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

If an NFL player needs BULLETIN BOARD material to get motivated, then he doesn't need to be in the league ...

Ram4Life83 is offline Registered User

I'll tell you how I feel about the guarantee Sunday evening, but I love that Jackson backed him.

You get the feeling that if they asked SJ to play O-line he would do it, and do a good job of it.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    If an NFL player needs BULLETIN BOARD material to get motivated, then he doesn't need to be in the league ...
    very true and I would just like to add that I wish these guys would start to back up there talking,how about they stop telling everyone they are going to win and really go out there and do it,the talk is getting old.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisSam View Post
    Crap, I hope this doesn't provide bulletin-board material for the Browns. I want that first draft pick but I also want to win a game, ya know?
    Winning could actually do more for our possible draft position. Follow me here.....

1. An 0-16 Rams will most likely have the same draft spot as a 1-15 Rams or 2-14 Rams, maybe even 3-13 Rams. Of the other losers in the NFL, few would adjust our spot......the Falcons may go 2-14, but most likely will go QB; Jets could go 3-13 with a tougher schedule, Dolphins will win a couple in the weak NFC East. So a win over the Browns probably doesn't affect the draft too much.

2. The Browns, on the other hand, will find themselves around that .500 mark in which a single win or loss can move teams around 3, 4, or 5 spots. If they win too many games, our top pick will be too valuable to swap for the Dallas & Cleveland picks.

3. If the Rams want to make a serious and immediate move to get better they will look to trade out of that top spot for multiple first round picks. That means a transaction with Dallas.

4. Dallas has their pick and Cleveland's pick. Assuming the Cowboys keep playing at their level, the Browns could finish with as much as a 4, 5, or 6 pick and the Cowboys could find trade value in giving up their two picks for our 1st round pick.

Therefore, it could actually play to our advantage in the draft (as well as just life in general) to actually win this game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Well, what about the Dolphins? They're pretty miserable too.

Who would you take if we had the No. 1 pick? Seems up to Dorsey or Jake Long.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

It's getting tiring listening to all these guarantees. I thought it was great when Bruce guaranteed the win since he never does that and since he's a proven veteran - so maybe then it would help fire us up. But now we've heard a couple of guarantees that were not met and we need to see it on the field. At some point guarantees get pretty pathetic unless you back it up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, what about the Dolphins? They're pretty miserable too.

Who would you take if we had the No. 1 pick? Seems up to Dorsey or Jake Long.
    Neither. I take Chris Long.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

keith m. klink Guest

Chris Long , Nuff Said.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    It's getting tiring listening to all these guarantees. I thought it was great when Bruce guaranteed the win since he never does that and since he's a proven veteran - so maybe then it would help fire us up. But now we've heard a couple of guarantees that were not met and we need to see it on the field. At some point guarantees get pretty pathetic unless you back it up.

Totally agree ROD! "Guaranteeing" something like this, at this point of our 2007 season, after failing one already, makes subsequential assurances rather meaningless and like playing in High School.

Concentrate more on winning it rather than promising it. :bash:

I like Jake Long tho - our o-line sucks! And Pace is no guarantee to stay healthy.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

This is just aploy to get the other teams to play even harder,Thus securing the #1 draft spot!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast