throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Two will do, but which two? (or, how this week could be HUGE)

I'm going to go out on a limb here (not much of a limb, mind you) and predict that Seattle will lose at least two of their last four:

@Vikings (they'll get crushed)
    @Jets (they should be beat)
    Arizona (they'll win)
    Atlanta (probably a win, but...)

If this is correct, two more wins will give the Rams the NFC West crown and the #4 seed in the playoffs.

Looking at the schedule, the Rams have one game they should definitely win (@Arizona), one game that they should have a pretty good shot at winning (home vs. a Jet team that will probably be locked in to its playoff spot), one game they probably won't win (Eagles), and this week's game @ Carolina.

The odds are against the Rams this week with Bulger out and both Faulk and Jackson nursing sore knees. Then again, if they can just find a way to protect Chandler, the Rams receivers should have success.

A win this week really puts the Rams in the driver's seat for the division title. If the Rams essentially need only one more win after this week, and have two home games and a game at the Cardinals to get that one win, I like their chances.

Stay tuned.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: Two will do, but which two? (or, how this week could be HUGE)

I'm with you AV

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Yep, it could come down to two wins that are needed to find the playoffs.

The odds seem to be stacked against us this week, but I must tell you that I picked the Rams to lose in my knockout pool a couple of years ago when Bulger first made his start, and they won that game, so it's best not to count them out so quickly when things are changing.

I am sure Martz must find all this change to be a challenge as far as game strategy goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sbramfan Guest

I agree, but I wouldn't overlook Arizona at home. They've got big receivers and we have little CB's who are banged up, and who are backed up by slow little safeties, who look like Rich Coady.

Should win though.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

agree, but I wouldn't overlook Arizona at home. They've got big receivers and we have little CB's who are banged up, and who are backed up by slow little safeties, who look like Rich Coady.
    SB

They better win that one; I'll be there.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks lose three of those last four games and finish at 7-9. I think the Rams will beat Arizona, but the other three games are looking questionable to me. I wouldn't underestimate the Jets this season. Thank God we have the tie-breaker against the Seahawks, because I have a bad feeling we might need it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

The good thing about the Jets game is that it is nearly certain that they will be locked in to the #5 seed by the time they play the Rams, so they may rest many of their starters. If the Rams had to play a motivated Jets team, I agree that would be a tough one, even in St. Louis.

DJRamFan Guest

It's getting to be a difficult game to predict, any of those games. This seems like the division nobody wants to win. The Rams, ideally, have an easier schedule with the possibilities of the Eagles and Jets resting some starters with their positions locked up. The Panthers game makes me nervous with our injury situation. And Arizona is a crapshoot of how they will play.

Regardless of who wins our division, I'm sure we'll still see the Starbucks in the first round of the playoffs.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

It's more certain than not, but if the Jets lose against Pittsburgh, lose against New England, and lose against the Seahawks (the former two are very likely, the latter not so much), then the Jets would need a win against the Rams to keep them from losing their spot to an unimpressive Denver team with a fairly easy schedule until the last week of the season.

Realistically, the Broncos could win three of their next four and the Jets could lose their next three, putting the Broncos at 10-6 to end the season and the Jets at 9-6 going into the Rams contest. Then, the Rams game is suddenly a must win if the Jets want to keep their five seed. I think the Jets have all but locked up the #6 seed though, unless Jacksonville or Buffalo go on a run. The Bills could also win three of their last four, putting them at 9-7.

Regardless, if the Jets beat Seattle, I think they'll have locked up the first wild card spot. But with this Seattle team, you never know.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I envision that the NFC will play out this way:

East: Eagles
    South: Falcons
    North: Packers
    West: Rams
    WC1: Vikings
    WC2: Cowboys

That would mean that the Rams would host the Vikings in the Wild Card round. That's not a bad matchup for the Rams.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I like you're scenrio Av., I hope it plays out that way. Of all the potential first round opponents the Rams could face, the Vikings scare me the least. In fact, they really don't scare me at all.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I hate to sound heretical here; but, if the Rams "win" their division with only an 8-8 record I'm not sure I would want to go to the playoffs. Sure I know what the league rules are but are any of ya'll somewhat embarrassed? I know I will be. Therefore I hope that the Rams finish up strong (with at least a winning record) so we don't "slink" into the playoffs. Er... let's remeber what Elton John said: "Don't shoot me , I only the piano player!"

WHAT SAY YE?

After the loss to Green Bay, I felt the same way, and said as much in a post.

Now, having cooled off from that fiasco of a night, I have concluded that I do want the Rams to make the playoffs, even if its with an 8-8 record. My reasons:

1. The Rams have gone to the Super Bowl before with an 9-7 record, so you never know.
    2. Marmie's probably not going to be replaced (as I'd like him to be) either way.
    3. There's nothing like a Ram playoff game.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Well Av I certainly agree with your 3 points here. But doesn't 9-7 sound a lot better than 8-8?

GO RAMS!!!!

Yodude is offline Registered User

The embaressment of our regular season record and performance will surely fade if by some miracle we scratch our way to the Superbowl.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast