Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Two Year rebuild

Looking at the lack of depth and overall needs, I suspect it may take 2 YEARs to get back into serious contention:\. Simply I can't see anyone on the radar comming out of college that would make either a probowl guard or tackle...perhaps someone can point a few out for me. And if there is how long would it take to get them adjusted to NFL speed-one/two years? I figure the porcess maybe speeded up if the organization ponys up the $$$ to attract vetran linemen. Nevertheless, needs on the o-line are critical being the squeakist wheel. Come year two, another excellent WR to compliement Bruce/Holt I think needs to come out of the draft.

Still sadly the only way I see the Rams not loosing their gains on defense is to play the freemarket.

Sigh its disappoint to realize that it maybe a long while before there is something to cheer about. Personally I am not sure the front office or the current coaching staff is up to the task.

theodus69 Guest

Re: Two Year rebuild

Couldn't agree more!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Okay, you may be right with regards to the necessity for OL, but developing time varies for every player.

Remeber, we get Pace back, Setterstrom Back and have Romberg, Incognito and Barron with another year in the system. Ultimately, there is not much out there aside from Alan Faneca and Ryan Lilja in the FA guard market, but if you're looking for a tackle through the draft, you have two strong bets in Jake Long and Sam Baker, pending the health (or potential trade) of Pace.

This year, I believe the priority HAS to be finding a guard and potentially a tackle. Quality depth is also a must-have. Then find yourself a defensive end (Charles Grant) and a safety either through the draft or in free agency.

Looking further on down the road, I absolutely agree that a WR will be a day one priority in the 2009 draft, as will any hangovers from 2008. (Reference: Rams (lack of) selction of a DE in 2007 hanging-over into a 2008 need.)

theodus69 Guest

Gotta say Pace might call it a career after this year. He is to vulnerable to the season ending injury!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Theodus69 View Post
    Gotta say Pace might call it a career after this year. He is to vulnerable to the season ending injury!
    Yes, amazing how all of a sudden OP became 'fragile' that way. It could be just a matter of going through a couple of freak / bizarre accidents taking place early these past two seasons but it makes you wonder (if Big O himself wonders too).

On the other hand, he may decide to stick with the program and make a strong come back!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Thanks Bar-bq...have to look those players up and see for myself.

Yes the Rams will eventually get there 1st stringers back. And yet 07 ought to be a lessen all teams need to pay attention to--DEPTH. Knock on wood in 08 injuries will not be an issue. But in profootball that is not likely.

Pace, Bruce and even Holt are getting older and with age, injury becomes an increasing possibility. Unless your Bret Favre (wish I knew what he is taking), toward the end of careers, injury and deminished skills are the rule.

There is another simple over looked rule, unless a team pays BIG $$$, star players don't like signing with LOOSER teams. Of course if your bad year in and year out, like Cleveland-Texans & etc where your top of the picking list nearly every year, the draft is about ones only option. Point is that I hope the Rams right the ship ASAP for the future to make it that much easier to recruit talent

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Yeah, I'd say that coaching change, with all the disruption that entails, will bring a two year rebuilding period. Possibly even three.

Its interesting to note though that some of the less sensational media guys are saying that Linehan should be given that third year even now (Yes, because of all the injuries). If that's the case, although I think it highly unlikely, then it might be that we're looking at a shorter time frame along the lines bar-bq mentions.

I think what people have to understand is that whilst coaching change might promise long-term benefits, it means an extended short-term of pain. Where franchises find themselves unable to endure that pain and then fire coaches every two years or so, is where you see long-term failure.

BigDaddyPace Guest

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Odviuosly you didn't read the STL Post on Friday.
    I don't think the Rams are years away from being back in contention. He still have alot of talent both young and old. Never underestimate parody in the NFL .
    Last edited by BigDaddyPace; -10-28-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    Never underestimate parody in the NFL .
    I think you mean parity, big dog, but I get what you mean.

On second thought, looking at the state of this team Parody is a much, much better word. We don't even resemble a winning football team right now.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great posts! IMO, it will start once we install a new coaching staff. I don't think the FO can stand-up for Linehan, because he seems to have "lost" the players especially Bulger.

I just want us to hire an experienced HC like a Marty Schottenheimer or someone who has coached in the NFL. I don't want us to experiment with a college coach or some coordinator whom the FO thinks they can get away for "cheap money".

We have genuine talent on this team. It should not take too long as long as we have players who fit the new HC's system. That seems to be the watchword of the NFL, have a system and playes who can thrive in it and you have the makings of a playoff contender.

Sad to say, I'm looking ahead to the Draft in April and the new season in September.

Go Rams!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I guess you guys have not been paying attention. Teams can turn around pretty quickly in this league.

In 2008, if the Rams upgrade 5 starters (hardly impossible b/w FA and (in all likelihood) 3 of the first 66 picks, and can stay healthy, they could have a lineup that would look something like:

QB Bulger
    RB Jackson
    FB Leonard
    WR Holt/Bennett
    WR Bruce/UPGRADE
    OT Pace
    OT Barron
    LG Incognito
    RG UPGRADE
    C Romberg
    TE McMichael

DE Little
    UT Carriker
    NT Ryan
    DE UPGRADE
    OLB Witherspoon/Draft
    MLB UPGRADE
    OLB Tinoisamoa/Chillar
    CB Hill/Bartell
    CB Brown/Wade
    SS Atogwe/T.Johnson
    FS UPGRADE

You're telling me that the above lineup couldn't compete in the NFC West?

Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I guess you guys have not been paying attention. Teams can turn around pretty quickly in this league.

In 2008, if the Rams upgrade 5 starters (hardly impossible b/w FA and (in all likelihood) 3 of the first 66 picks, and can stay healthy, they could have a lineup that would look something like:

QB Bulger
    RB Jackson
    FB Leonard
    WR Holt/Bennett
    WR Bruce/UPGRADE
    OT Pace
    OT Barron
    LG Incognito
    RG UPGRADE
    C Romberg
    TE McMichael

DE Little
    UT Carriker
    NT Ryan
    DE UPGRADE
    OLB Witherspoon/Draft
    MLB UPGRADE
    OLB Tinoisamoa/Chillar
    CB Hill/Bartell
    CB Brown/Wade
    SS Atogwe/T.Johnson
    FS UPGRADE

Give me a break.
    Whislt I agree, and it seems downright idocy to debate the 2008 lineup before 2007 has finished, I'd like to query some of your selcections, Av.

Do you think Witherspoon is an ill fit in the middle? It seems to me like the lineup we've got has been working rather well, and playing at a consistent level. Is it wise to mess with success?

I agree that a DE upgrade is in the pipe, and potentially even two.

Is Atogwe currently playing the strong safety position? I thought that's where Chavous was... If you are planning to switch him, do you really think he can be a playmaker from the strong spot?

Mark Setterstrom is relegated to the backup role and Incognito shifts over to LG? Is this because Cogs has experience at the left guard position? It was my school oof thought that he's played the right side for all of his career?

What do we do if there just so happens to be a Blue Chip (as you call them) OT availale considering Pace's status? Do we go looking for a Jake Long?

Can you see a WR this offseason? If Bruce retires after next year, (maybe even this year) we'll most definately need someone, but it's an issue of time, and it depends, therefore on Ike's retirement. Would a rookie WR be too 'green' to place into a system with a substantial role and expect success?

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

QB Bulger
    RB Jackson
    FB Leonard
    WR Holt/Bennett
    WR Bruce/UPGRADE
    OT Pace
    OT Barron
    LG Incognito
    RG UPGRADE
    C Romberg
    TE McMichael

DE Little
    UT Carriker
    NT Ryan
    DE UPGRADE
    OLB Witherspoon/Draft
    MLB UPGRADE
    OLB Tinoisamoa/Chillar
    CB Hill/Bartell
    CB Brown/Wade
    SS Atogwe/T.Johnson
    FS UPGRADE

Give me a break.
    Take Bruce and Little off the list and i pretty much agree with you. I don't think the Rams will bring them back at their salaries. I don't think they will re-sign Chillar because he will probably get offers elsewhere and like you said they will be looking to upgrade. Also, you don't think Setterstrom is a quality starter?