Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Ty Hill - Is his size the problem?

Let's discuss this, because I've seen alot of posts this past year about him sucking, he's too small, doesn't hit.

Is this because of his size?

He's listed 5-10 185, but I am pretty sure I've read that he is more 5-9. Still, there are a bunch of CBs in the league that aren't very big, granted Hill sees some big recievers. A couple of smallish CBs that come to mind are Bly, Hobbs & Samuel. They seem to be effective.

So......what are the issues with Ty Hill? Don't just snipe, let's get a discussion going. What is good, and what is bad.

Semper Fi!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Ty Hill - Is his size the problem?

Ball awareness. If you look at the huge catch that he gave up to start the Eagles game you'll see that he just doesn't know how to effectively put himself in a place to defend the pass. Whether that's a matter of his confidence is shot or something worse, he just doesn't seem to have the awareness he needs at this level.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Ball awareness. If you look at the huge catch that he gave up to start the Eagles game you'll see that he just doesn't know how to effectively put himself in a place to defend the pass. Whether that's a matter of his confidence is shot or something worse, he just doesn't seem to have the awareness he needs at this level.
    When you look at a corner he has all the tools, if he was taller (atleast 6'1") he'd be perfect. He has the speed and ball skills, but his confidence has taken a serious hit; remember his rookie season was solid he looked good, then the injuries came, I think he may be trying a little too hard on the field as well rather than just letting the game come to him naturally. The thing about confidence is when its gone it may never come back & if it does its often with another team.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Darrell Green came out of college standing 5' 8" tall and weighing a whopping 170 lbs. Eventually he got up to around 185 lbs soaking wet. He had a pretty good career for a "little guy" .. I don't think size is the problem for Ty, as Teke mentioned, it is his lack of "ball awareness" or nose for the ball (so far) at the NFL level. He came into the league cocky and spouting off about how he was going to be a Pro Bowler and such. Seems he played ok his rookie year, and then went downhill from there. Hopefully he'll respond to a the new coaching staff and take full advantage of starting strong safety James Butler's knowledge of Spagnolo's defensive schemes. It will be interesting to see if he can resurrect his career under Spags and Flajoles tutelage .. Hopefully he'll find some of that confidence or cockiness again if he can find a way to stay healthy for a full season.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL receivers today are big, strong and aggresive, so size is always going to enter into the equation when talking about guys that cover them. That said, I don't think size is Ty Hills' main problem. He's shown he can get the job done, despite a lack of hieght and less than stellar ball skills. The game against Philly was mentioned and I really think he lost his edge after that performance. Injuries followed and he hasn't been the same since.

If he can get his head straight and Spags can light his fire, I'll think he'll be fine. At this point though, that's a big if. I really like the guy and hope he can pull it all together this year. It's probably his last chance.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I don't know if it is so much his ball awareness, but his ball skills. It seems that on a number of catches that he gives up, he is in perfect position to make a play at the ball, but seems to swat and miss the ball, or try to catch it only to find air between his hands. If I had to pin point 1 thing, I would just say he doesn't catch the ball very well.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think his height is the issue, I think its a question of whether his size is the reason for his durability issues. That's hard to say.

Hill had a good rookie year, but his play has diminished since.

If he starts this year, it will be because he has outplayed a group of talented prospects (King, Fletcher, Wade), not because he was a first round pick.

general counsel is offline Registered User

His injuries have nothing to do with his size. Its not like he got hurt trying to make tackles. Whether you call it ball skills or ball awareness, the bottom line is that in 40 years of watching football i have NEVER seen a guy who can cover better (ie be with the receiver stride for stride) and yet repeatedly fail to make a play when the ball arrives. The play in the first series of the first game of the year last year vs deshaun jackson is a perfect summary of the problems with hill. He was on jackson like white on rice and had no idea where the ball was.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't think his height is the issue, I think its a question of whether his size is the reason for his durability issues. That's hard to say.

If he starts this year, it will be because he has outplayed a group of talented prospects (King, Fletcher, Wade), not because he was a first round pick.
    Agree, Ty has had durability issues, don't know if his size has anything to do with it. Many other Rams have had their share of injuries, the past two seasons (Little, Pisa, Pace, JAX, Torry, Cogs), just to name a few.
    I'm looking forward to see if Ty Hill can bouce back and have a healthy and productive season again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

His problem right now is located between his ears. I think the kid went through some mental weaknesses and lack of confidence that shook him for the past couple of years. Hopefully, that has changed.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The only way that his head'll change Hub, is if the new coaching staff gets into it with him and relights his fires. That and his teammates. Apparently he's a friend of our new strong safety Butler, so maybe that'll help.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I've read, during the Rams pursuit of Butler, that OJ, Bartell and Butler work out together and that they drive each other to get better. And that this familiarity was a good thing for working in the same backfield together.

I'd be interested to know if this core of the Rams defensive backfield has continued this and if they've expanded they're activities to include a young player like Hill, or any of the other DBs.

Anybody?
    Semper Fi!

I thought that I read somewhere that Hill and Butler owned a Golden Corral together or something like that.... in fact a quick google search turned up this from the post dispatch:

James Butler, the Rams’ newly signed strong safety, is co-owner of a Golden Corral restaurant in Centerville, Ga. His business partner? Tye Hill, who also could be partnering with Butler in the first-team secondary this year.

“Injuries are very tough, but I don’t think Tye has lost his swagger,” Butler said Wednesday during a media get-together at Rams Park. “He’s definitely motivated to be one of the best corners in the league this year, and he’s been working hard this offseason. Tye Hill will be a great player this year.”

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I agree; it's hard to say what the correlation is re size/injuries. Hill does seem to be a little snakebit in terms of the severity & complications resulting from these knocks. I mean, broken bones in the lower back in a practice session, a wrist injury that might have been career-threatening had he continued playing hurt, and I think he had a cyst drained on the injured knee as well,no?

Being able to flip your hips, twist your head/back around in mid-air & at full throttle,use your hands to swat/pick off a pass without interfering with the WR...all the things, basically, that you'd say were keys to being a good CB & Hill has had serious & possibly lingering impairment in all of them.

In short, I think it may have less to do with size & more to do with being a poor healer. Out of college, I think he was supposed to be good at all those key things but if all he has left is speed, I think, like Stanley, he will be phased out by the newbs.

We'll see....I don't think even at his best that he matches up well with our NFCW rivals. All of them have height & weight mismatches on us @ WR with Hill as #2.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

No one was complaining his rookie year when his size didn't look like an issue at all. The real problem has been his lack of physicality. His size does somewhat contribute, but lately he has been easily overpowered than receivers blow by him. His coverage skills have been atrocious and it really hasn't had anything to do with his size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast