ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Ty Law, the next Aeneas Williams?

From Peter King of Sports Illustrated:

I would make this argument: Law's foot is going to be fine. At the time of his injury, he was one of the league's five best corners, for his physicality and his cover ability. He's got two, maybe three, good to very good years left. If you're a cornerback-needy contender -- say, Kansas City, with the 46th pick in the second round, St. Louis with the 50th, Green Bay with the 58th -- why wouldn't you give that choice for a player very likely to give you at least two good years at a position you desperately need help at?

At the end of the day, I'm sure teams like the Chiefs, Rams and Colts wanted to see Law on the free market, so they wouldn't have to pay with a draft choice and a new contract for him.

What do you guys think. Would you give up our 2nd round pick for Law? I think I'd definitely give it serious consideration.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ty Law, the next Aeneas Williams?

He's 31, has a base salary of $9.75M in the final year of his current contract, he's coming off an injury, and he's represented by the Postons. I'm going to have to say no.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Couldn't New England take some of that hit?

general counsel Guest

In addition to nicks points, i dont think we need to spend money at corner. Sure, it would be nice to add a guy, but i just dont see how we can afford it with the other holes and cap issues. Bring us Hartwell and heal adams back!!!!!!!!!

ramming speed to all and Sign the Big Man

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Couldn't New England take some of that hit?
    Not his salary, no. Law's cap number for 2005 is over $12M with bonuses, so NE would take the hit from any bonus money he has, but we'd be responsible for that salary unless we renegotiated, and what are the odds of us coming to a new contract agreement with the Postons?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As Nick said earlier, this comes down to representation. I don't care if he said he'd play for doughnuts in St. Louis, as long as the Postons are associated with him, I'd say no, actually I'd say NO!!!

If teams start saying no to every Poston client they will be run out of business and their ridiculous tactics will go down with them. Charles Woodson, Charles Rogers, LaVar Arrington, Julian Peterson, etc....I wouldn't go near any of them for any amount of money.

Postons = NO!!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd look elsewhere. Samari Rolle may be available.

denverram is offline Registered User

I am not sure that Ty law is all that he is made out to be. I think he is somewhat of a product of a good system. I mean look at what they do with guys in that system, Troy Brown is a WR not a DB. I think if Law leaves he will end up like Lawyer Malloy not Williams. In short, to much money for the risk. :ramlogo:

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Um... on second thought, never mind. Maybe Andre Dyson will be available?

Titans' Rolle arrested

Cornerback turns himself in on charge of assault

Posted: Tuesday February 15, 2005 5:21PM; Updated: Tuesday February 15, 2005 7:19PM

BRENTWOOD, Tenn. (AP) -- Titans cornerback Samari Rolle was arrested Tuesday on assault charges after a Valentine's Day altercation with his wife, authorities said.

Police said Danisha Rolle, 27, was treated for a cut over her left eye and released from Baptist Hospital in Nashville Monday night.

"Unfortunately with this being a legal matter, I am unable to comment on the particulars of the situation," Samari Rolle said in a statement. "We are cooperating in this process and it is our wish that our privacy would be respected."

Hospital personnel contacted Brentwood Police and authorities obtained a warrant after a preliminary investigation. Police said the incident occurred Monday night.

Rolle turned himself in on a single charge of simple assault, a misdemeanor, Chief Ricky Watson said.

The 27-year-old Rolle posted $1,000 bond and was released, officials said. If convicted, he faces probation up to 11 months and 29 days in jail.

"Samari notified us that he has hired an attorney to represent him," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We will continue to monitor the situation."

The Rolles have been married since November 2003 and have two children.

Samari Rolle's first court appearance is set for Feb. 24.

Rolle appeared in 12 games in 2004 before undergoing surgery on his left knee. He finished with just one interception and 28 tackles. Rolle's best season was in 2000, when he went to the Pro Bowl after making seven interceptions.

The Titans drafted Rolle in the second round in 1998 out of Florida State.

GSOT is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by denverram
    I am not sure that Ty law is all that he is made out to be. I think he is somewhat of a product of a good system. I mean look at what they do with guys in that system, Troy Brown is a WR not a DB. I think if Law leaves he will end up like Lawyer Malloy not Williams. In short, to much money for the risk. :ramlogo:
    I whould be very very happy with law. His pressence alone whould help this defense, could we finally have a leader on D? I say we get Law, hartwell, a cheaper type gaurd and draft a right tackle in the first round.

KCRamFan is offline Registered User

I would rather get Fred Smoot. He is younger and will not cost the team nearly as much as Ty Law.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOT
    I whould be very very happy with law. His pressence alone whould help this defense, could we finally have a leader on D?
    GSOT, Law may look good on paper, but I've never seen leadership qualities from a Poston client. They (poston clients) may be physically dominant at their positions, but none of them are good leaders or even good for team chemistry. Look at the bridges that have been burnt by Peterson in SF, Arrington in DC, even Pace right here. And we all remember last offseason the problems that NE had with Law. If we're looking for a leader on D, we should pass on Law.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by KCRamFan
    I would rather get Fred Smoot. He is younger and will not cost the team nearly as much as Ty Law.
    Or Lucas...

KCRamFan is offline Registered User

I would be very happy with Lucas as well. The Rams need to bring in another CB one way or another.