RamWraith is offline Registered User

Tye Hill/ Mini Camp Update

Hill Sidelined by Staph Infection
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

When an staph infections broke out around the Rams’ training facility, Tye Hill assumed it was because of a dirt issue.

Hill had always been led to believe that the only way to get a staph infection was from a buildup of filth. But Hill was diagnosed Monday afternoon with a staph infection on the back of his left hamstring and has no idea how it happened.

“I thought the only people that could get that are dirty people,” Hill said. “That’s what makes it so strange. I am high on my hygiene so I thought it can’t be that. It could be from a bug bite or an in-grown hair or something. I don’t know how I got it.”

But Hill did get it and it has caused him to miss the first two days of the team’s full squad minicamp and will likely cause him to miss the third and final day of the camp on Thursday.

Considering the Rams’ recent and odd history with staph infections, coach Scott Linehan wanted to ensure that this problem would be squashed before it could get any worse.

“As you guys know, that was a problem here a few years back (2003) so we are taking major precautions on it and see how he feels tomorrow,” Linehan said.

During last year’s training camp there was an issue with staph infections that caused the training facilities to be scrubbed and cleaned meticulously enough to the point that it was almost a quarantined area.

So, the Rams will proceed with the proper precautions while Hill does what is necessary to recover. After attending a meeting Tuesday afternoon, Hill went to the hospital to be checked out.

Hill was then placed on an I.V. for a couple of hours and has been given an oral prescription to take. In the meantime, Hill will continue to attend the meetings and practices. The good news, though, is that it has happened now instead of closer to the season.

“I was looking forward to being out there practicing,” Hill said. “The hard part is watching everybody out there playing and I’m watching on the sidelines feeling like a scrub because I’m not out there. Other than that, it’s just an unfortunate incident.”

HAGANS FLASHES: Marques Hagans hasn’t been a full-time receiver for more than a year, but it’s evident that he has spent the better part of that year working on his craft.

Hagans, who the Rams drafted in the fifth round last year with the intent to convert him from quarterback to receiver, had one of his finest days of practice at his new position Wednesday afternoon.

In a span of about five minutes, Hagans made a diving catch on a 15-yard crossing route and followed with a tremendous leaping catch over starting cornerback Fakhir Brown.

“That was very good,” Linehan said. “I was glad to see that. He’s a guy that is not forgotten by any of us or anything. He was on the practice squad and he has a second go around so he’ll be much better, too. He had a nice day today.”

Hagans will likely be involved in a heated battle for the sixth receiver spot in training camp against Dominique Thompson and a cadre of other wideouts.

BETTER THAN EVER: Now that quarterback Marc Bulger has a year under his belt in Linehan’s system, he didn’t have to spend much time learning this offseason so much as simply fine tuning his game.

That fine tuning has been clear in this minicamp as Bulger has been nothing short of excellent. As the team worked on red zone offense in Wednesday’s practice, Bulger rolled to his left, stepped back from the oncoming pass rush and floated a pass to the back of the end zone for Isaac Bruce, who was covered perfectly by Brown. But the ball was placed in just the right spot, over Brown’s stretched out arms and hands, and landed softly in the hands of Bruce for a touchdown.

It was just another in a long line of amazingly accurate throws from Bulger in the first two days of minicamp.

“He looks great,” Linehan said. “Marc is playing at a high level. He’s an extremely gifted thrower. Now, he has all of that first year, new coaches, whatever gone and now he just tunes his game up. He looks great to me.”

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Tye Hill/ Mini Camp Update

It was just another in a long line of amazingly accurate throws from Bulger in the first two days of minicamp.
    Heh heh heh.......

Bring on the football!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

It's about time I heard some news about my favorite player, Marc Bulger. Now if they can just hurry up and get him signed.

Rambos is offline Registered User

“He looks great,” Linehan said. “Marc is playing at a high level. He’s an extremely gifted thrower. Now, he has all of that first year, new coaches, whatever gone and now he just tunes his game up. He looks great to me.”
    Sign him...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Indeed sign him

P.S. where are the pictures? Where can I find minicamp pics!?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams